London

For my recently LSDJ track i tend to record everything onto different channels (this includes the kicks and bass if they are on the same channel).
Then adding some eq and compression to the kick and some stereo eq to the bass and leads.
Then if its a 4 to the floor track i would side chain the leads slightly with the kick to have more of a bounce effect!
also a tad of reverb and filter delay on the leads.... PERFECT!

What about you guys? smile

I keep it raw.

All the time.

Milton Keynes, England

it depends on the song. depends what it needs or what i think will work best.
i will often record each channel seperately if i'm using lsdj. drum hits are usually recorded seperately. i usually layer or replace the gameboy drum sounds with drum samples.
eq and sometimes filters on most channels. eq on the master channel too (and i've been putting a bit of compression on the master recently as well.)
effects where neccesary.
faff about till satisfied.

I try and make use of the gameboy's L/R outputs. I decide on what I think needs special attention/processing in the song, could be bass and kick, lead melody or backing instruments. It all depends. These instruments I route to a separate output and put the rest on the other. Since I most often have multiple things going on in a single channel, simply routing a channel to a output hardly ever cuts it.
When instruments using different outputs are playing on the same channel you can get some nasty clicks. If these are too annoying a edit these by hand.

London

yeah it depends on the song, what i said was an example for dance stuff. i agree it should be raw but stuff enhancements could be nice!

Milan, Italy

I usually keep them RAW...

...but sometime i just record singles channel to add some EQ, distorsion or to make a better mixing adding some extra instruments like the awesome MIDI SLAP BASS 1. cool

Chicago IL

i do so many tips

astral cat

i just plug the 3.5mm lead into my mic port and then record in garageband then do nothing cause i'm also RAW

Newcastle, UK

Record it RAW.
And then EQ it a bit to BOOST DA BASS.

London

remember to roll of your low end so it issnt too muddy!

Newcastle, UK

Thanks!
Oh Shirobon, you're so smart wink

Philly, PA, USA

if you record the diff channels separately how do you make sure they're still in time? just adjust it?

Milan, Italy

yes

Record synced to midi or manually adjust it to a reference point. Start the track with a 4/4 hat and then adjust them to each other.

That latter method didn't work that great when I tried it but midi sync worked perfectly recently.

Philly, PA, USA

you mean using like a link cable midi connection?
or... something else?
also when you do it by midi, is it just a trigger then, or does the sound come through?

Miami, FL

Lately what I've been doing is making a sound at the beginning of a track in every channel, and at the end of a track.

Later on after I've recorded each channel separately and am arranging them, I just gotta line up both sounds and the whole track should be in sync.

Credits: 8bitweapon

Also, you don't NEED midi...LSDJs tempo isn't perfect but it's usually ok. I always like to make sure I have fresh batteries when recording a track. I also only record from one specific GB since that one seems to be spot-on handling the tempo.

Post production basic tips: EQ for more bass. Slight reverb. Compression on master track.