Minneapolis
athleos wrote:
arfink wrote:

Just FYI, it is possible to hook up the screen to a simple 5v input, and then this can in turn be put in parallel with the NES's 5v system. That way you can just use the regular PSU and don't have to use two.

I wouldn't use the stock NES adapter for this.  It would put too much load on the PSU.  You're gonna want to have at least a 1A current for this (unless the stock NES adapter has that already...  I can't remember.)  Either way, you're going to want more current than you would if it were just the NES.  Especially for batteries.

I wouldn't sweat it, actually. The original NES adapter provides more than enough juice to run an NES. The power ratings are quite conservative. The PSOne screen won't push it that far. I could be wrong of course, but it seems to work OK on mine. Of course, with any battery, more current is usually better, as long as you don't go so far as to increase risk of arcing. Which really would be a fairly obscenely huge battery. wink

Brooklyn, NY
arfink wrote:

Of course, with any battery, more current is usually better, as long as you don't go so far as to increase risk of arcing

Current does not work this way - I'm not so sure if you know how electricity works.

I would be careful about consistently running more than 1A through the power supply even though the stock adapter provides 1.3A. The 7805 voltage regulator is the first to go on a lot of the systems I've fixed (rated to 1-1.5A typically). From what I've read the psone screen draws about 0.6A alone, I'll take a current reading of the NES later on with / without standard cart / powerpak and post back.

Minneapolis
Batsly Adams wrote:
arfink wrote:

Of course, with any battery, more current is usually better, as long as you don't go so far as to increase risk of arcing

Current does not work this way - I'm not so sure if you know how electricity works.

I would be careful about consistently running more than 1A through the power supply even though the stock adapter provides 1.3A. The 7805 voltage regulator is the first to go on a lot of the systems I've fixed (rated to 1-1.5A typically). From what I've read the psone screen draws about 0.6A alone, I'll take a current reading of the NES later on with / without standard cart / powerpak and post back.

As for arcing, if you ever have done much with some of the high current li-polymer batteries, during connecting and disconnecting they can arc pretty badly. I have some with nicely toasted contacts which I can show you if you don't believe me.

rochester, ny

im loving the battery talk in this thread. this is going to be really helpful when i go to add a battery to this project.

i was planning on following the steps in this tutorial regarding batteries and replacing the power regulator the NES. i'd have to build a little video amp too, and i would probably take the audio off of the main outputs instead of the rf box.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- … me-System/

rochester, ny

also, i built a mixer to use with this NES -

it mixes 4 inputs, through four volume controls, down to a single mono 1/4 inch jack. works perfectly, looks great.

a lot of people build the mixers into the NES's themselves. i wanted to do it externally so that i could not only use it for other non-nes stuff but i could also use it to put effects on individual outputs of the NES.