Adelaide, Australia

about

The long-awaited IDM chipmusic-on-chip album 'Today' is released as a physical 16-bit cartridge for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis video game console. The sound is generated at playtime by the Yamaha YM2612 FM synthesizer chip that is built into the console.

The concept is to do away with the conventional audio recording which is the standard format for practically all music now released.

Breathing new life into this obsolete Sega console in 2010, 'Today' aims to reinvigorate interest in old hardware and the idea of listening to music where the sound is generated each time you listen.

This is now available for FREE as an mp3 release on bandcamp!
http://freezedream.bandcamp.com/album/today

I am also now releasing the ROM for everyone with flash carts (or emulators) to enjoy!

http://www.milkcrate.com.au/freezedream … FINAL).zip

tracks

1. Winter in July (menu music)

2. Realtime Love

3. See You Next Tuesday

4. Luer

5. Origami

6. Iridescence

7. Green

8. Cardioid

9. The Girl in the Moon

credits

Music, Artwork, PCB Design & Assembly: freezedream (Nathan Stanley)

Coding/Testing: Alex Cichowski - Thankyou so much for your long hours working out bugs and optimizing things. smile

Player Code: Shiru & Alone Coder

Last edited by freezedream (Jul 5, 2011 10:50 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

Can't wait to get mine in the mail!

Melbourne, Australia

Would buy, if I had a sega.

matt's mind

its amazing everyone, get it!!!

England

i understand your philosophy, but will there be any chance of hearing this without having to buy hardware?

Melbourne, Australia

I think there was talk of an MP3 release but I could be completely off the mark.

freezedream : care to set the record straight? (puns!)

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
celsius wrote:

Can't wait to get mine in the mail!

Is there a ROM dump?

Adelaide, Australia

For all of you interested in the music who don't own a console, mp3s will be made available for a small cost in a month or so. big_smile

@arlen: I'm not planning to release the ROM.

Melbourne, Australia

Will the people who have purchased the cart have free access to the MP3s?

Adelaide, Australia

@celsius: definitely

Melbourne, Australia

w00 h00! big_smile You hear that guys? Even more reason to buy the cart even if you just have it as an "ornament" on you mantle.

Melbourne, Australia

This is so great. Just got my cart in the mail. All bias aside (he's an Aussie, I'm an Aussie) this is a seriously good album. Like... seriously.

matt's mind
celsius wrote:

this is a seriously good album. Like... seriously.

Sweden

Is this for NTSC? I could run it in 60Hz on my MD, but I don't know about the tuning... Is there a difference between PAL/NTSC?

Either way it's too much money for me right now, but if there are copies over I will buy one when I've accumulated wealth or deceased trying

Last edited by boomlinde (Sep 21, 2010 10:33 am)

Adelaide, Australia

Hi boomlinde,

This will work on PAL or NTSC, though it was written for a PAL system so on NTSC it will be pitched up slightly.