akira^8GB wrote:

I might even have an extra spare.

I might be interested...

By the way, what's your opinion on ripping samples from other people's MODs?

New York City
Awol wrote:

By the way, what's your opinion on ripping samples from other people's MODs?

Good for learning, kinda lame for releasing, but I guess a lot of music back then was made with the same sets. Whenever someone ripped samples from other mod ( for example, getting some chip samples from 4mat's chiptunes) they usually were credited.

New York City

Alright man, I know what you mean now.
I tried the opposite, converting RAW to WAV on Wavelab. The result was distorted bullshit.
I Dont know why this happens.

New York City

OK< I don't know how this did not occur to me before, it is very easy to resolve big_smile

I grabbed MILKYTRACKER, loaded a bunch of WAV samples in it, and then saved as MOD for the Amiga. It converts the samples to the proper IFF format and they sound just great on the machine.

I just took my XM "Untitled" and saved it as MOD even when it complained about the structure and everything, and all the samples were kept 1:1

Enjoy big_smile

akira^8GB wrote:

I grabbed MILKYTRACKER, loaded a bunch of WAV samples in it, and then saved as MOD for the Amiga. It converts the samples to the proper IFF format and they sound just great on the machine.

How does it sound compared to stuff sampled directly on an Amiga?

Milwaukee, WI

Something tells me that sampling direct will be the best sounding, although not very convenient, way of doing things. It's probably pretty similar to the A/D converters giving character to the sound on an SP-12 or any other vintage sampler...just using basic logic of course.

brighton, uk
Awol wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

How does it sound compared to stuff sampled directly on an Amiga?

Nowhere near as cool.
Each sampler will have it's own sound.
Mine has a pretty creamy lo-fi sound.
The one I've got for sale on the trade section is crunchy/noisy but also very clean if you can get the hum away.

It's very convenient sampling straight to the amiga. I plug in my mp3 player, I plug in my laptop, I plug in my C64. Samples ahoy, no fucking PC to click around in.

At the moment Iam sampling to a Roland JS-30 and manipulating my samples there, then straight to the amiga from that. I can layer up samples, timestretch them, downtune them, ADSR fun etc, muck about with loop points to create a whole new sound.

If you have a decent screen size on your amiga I'd reccomend using OSS 1.35(?!). It has some great effects processors in it, and you can also get DSP plugins. These are ram hoggy so you'll most likely need an expansion.
It can export/import 4channel protracker mods, and can also do midi.

Last edited by CMDR (Aug 29, 2010 9:45 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

"It has some great effects processors in it, and you can also get DSP plugins."

Not entirely true and a tad misleading. There are still no effects (variations of "echo" doesn't count) and DSP plugins are not the same type as those in the PC/Mac world. These are coded as a completely different standard from what I gather and you need an NSM enabled version of OSS from what I remember. There aren't very many "plugins" either, if they work at all even. Only one worth using is "Stanley". Please do correct me if I'm wrong though!

Why the fuck isn't OSS open source again? It desperately needs to be updated!

I also agree on different samplers giving different results.

brighton, uk

a few that i think are great:

this filter plugin is absolutely sick- instead of just GUESSING the resonance in the filter you can choose from lowpass, bandpass, highpass, and modify each as you want.       http://uk.aminet.net/mus/edit/cha_filter.readme

i use this to cut up long samples when im making house- one you mentioned    http://uk.aminet.net/mus/edit/cha_stanley.readme

also useful for correcting the tempo of said loops http://fi.aminet.net/mus/edit/cha_autotempo.readme

I wouldn't say it's that misleading wink Along with the built in reverb etc theres plenty you can do with a boring loop.
I just think it's sad that people stick to protracker/soundtracker when they make amiga music.
now all I want is some sort of phaser or flange, that would be awesome!

Last edited by CMDR (Aug 30, 2010 10:12 am)

Milwaukee, WI

/hijack

I've NEVER been able to get cha_filter to work. Never ever. It's located in the ram disk with cha_stanley, but nothing happens whenever I try to call it via the shortcut panel. When I double-click with OSS running I get the "Usage Error" message.

When and how do you call cha_filter to get it to work? I've looked for an answer for almost 10 years believe it or not. Those yahoo groups were useless.

Australia
low-gain wrote:

i'd guess that cTrix know's the answers smile

Maybe.  Sampling for Amiga is a mission.  This is how I generally approach things.

For long phrases I use 8363hz or 16726hz into a DSS sampler on the Amiga - sections like the "Horses" sample or the "Look Around You" section.  I just like the dirty sound.  Sampling from C64 works well like this too although I blew up a SID chip recently, so I'm back to using my PC and being VERY careful when sampling from the C64.  Don't use tube based pre-amps either - that was the other case when I lost a SID chip.

Sometimes I find it's better to actually cross convert from PC.  If I want to get samples sharp (like kit sounds or loops) I sample them at 48khz on a Lynx card with Aurora front end or my trusty old Edirol UA-5.  My DX7, DSI or MC202 are good to sample from for notes; although you gotta make things big so they don't suffer from quantisation distortion due to bit exhaustion.  I then use Cool Edit using certain plugs to EQ and compress them to an optimal fat waveform - but not too hard else they lose their punch.  To keep the "punch" I sometimes just use gain to push a sample over 0db and just clip spikes off.  For hifi samples I usually convert them to 26khz - 28khz which the Amiga handles fine - keep in mind that because the filters sound better OFF (in my opinion) even kick drums or bass notes will benefit from a high sample rate to get that waveform nice and rounded else they'll start ringing.  Sometimes you need to resample to a 5th higher and an octive higher so you have coverage for all the notes.  Loops often sound good at 16726 (aka middle C3) or somewhere around 21khz.  There is no one sample rate - sometimes you juse save 5 or 6 versions at different rates and compare them all on the Amiga side.  You'll need to tweak the samples pitch to get it to fit and obviously split drum loops into 4 or 8 parts.  One will jump out as fitting into place.  Somtimes I use parts of a loop at different sample rates just because a snare snap sound good at one rate but the first half lacks... you get some bonus texture in there too.

I move any samples I want on an Amiga into a MODPlug session (using the Amiga MOD 4 channel preset) with resampling set to lowest quality possible (in the settings) and do most of my programming and sequencing in there.  I usually take it over to the Amiga to finish, mix and add / replace some samples before saving master MOD files.

So, in answer to getting stuff from PC to Amiga, going from MODPlug, saving as a "compatible" MOD, then taking it to an Amiga is the easiest way.  On that note, the Compact Flash kit is great if floppies are starting to get annoying.  Although I never will get sick of pressing C= + E, MOUNT PC0:

Three rules I always am thinking about:

1) You can't play over A# up from where C sits at 16726hz.  B will be a little out of tune and have odd effects.

2) Samples should be under 32kb.  In Cool Edit or Audition set view mode as being samples (still work in 16bit at this point)

3) You can always use the Axx command to create an envelope, eg. A08 if you want to envelope a sample if it's over compressed or you want staccato notes.

have fun!

The Rubber Man

Use CoolEdit Pro.

Convert sample into 8bit, mono, 16Khz (well, the last one - more/less. Depends what You need. I use 16Khz anyway). Don't forget about normalization (99%).

Save as "iff".

If the sample is short, then OctaMed willl load it without any problems.

If it's longer, then it will ask if load the sample as RAW. Press "Y".
You will find a short bug on the beginning of the sample then (from wrong file's header). Select it and CUT.
The sample is ready to use.

Last edited by YERZMYEY (Sep 27, 2010 12:58 pm)

New York City

Tips from the masters. Yay!
However, I will be a nitpicker: what did you do, cTrix, when you didn't have any of these wondrous tools you have nowadays?

The Rubber Man

Akira: I don't know how about Ctrix, but back in 1994 I was using Amiga itself (the only 16bit computer I had in that time). I bought a sampler interface (somebody mentioned it above, I suspect) and was recording samples on OctaMed, from my Yamaha keyz. Quality was very good however last times I found I can't use these sampls for instance on Atari XL and its pokey because they make distortions (unlike samples made on PC). Hm. Interesting.

New York City

Well, I ask this because I got two samplers myself now, and I am finding it hard to capture noiseless signals. I usually have to crank up the gain a damn lot and this makes things go bad.

I don't have a DSS (damn, hat was my first tracker! DSS Sound Studio!) though, I have a generic black box sampler and an AMAS2. I think the problem with the AMAS2 is that it also has a MIC input so teh preamps are kinda shitty.

The Rubber Man

That's strange.
Well, You WILL hear some strange noises while You press "MONITOR" before recording (to set a proper volume level)

on the right hand side, middle.
But when You press RECORD then, it should sound clear.
Supposedly Your sampler is broken.

Last edited by YERZMYEY (Sep 28, 2010 2:23 pm)