pixls wrote:

you mean using like a link cable midi connection?
or... something else?
also when you do it by midi, is it just a trigger then, or does the sound come through?

I'm using an arduinoboy mini (you don't *have* to sync via midi as goatslacker says but I have the gear) and in LSDJ sync mode it just sends start, stop and clock signals but in mGB mode you can make it essentially midines.

Milton Keynes, England
goatslacker wrote:

Lately what I've been doing is making a sound at the beginning of a track in every channel, and at the end of a track.

Later on after I've recorded each channel separately and am arranging them, I just gotta line up both sounds and the whole track should be in sync.

this is what i usually do.

New York City

If you start up LSDJ in different sessions (which is always prone to human error too) to record each track, you will introduce so much shit in there that syncing up by hand will be very unaccurate. If you happen to have to stretch the recordings somehow to match, you will have introduced artifacts in the recording. I wouldn't suggest it.

Use MIDI syncing for multitrack recording.
And my best tip: make music that is good tongue Production is just a detail.

Milton Keynes, England
akira^8GB wrote:

And my best tip: make music that is good tongue Production is just a detail.

best tip ever. I think this is where i have been going wrong.

Nashville, Tennessee
akira^8GB wrote:

If you happen to have to stretch the recordings somehow to match, you will have introduced artifacts in the recording. I wouldn't suggest it.

just stretch it in ableton. artifacts are barely noticeable to even the knowledgeable listener if you use your warp points right smile

░▒▓█▄▀▌▄

^ no they are not. even with different warping modes they are audible if you have decent speakers or headphones...

any type of audio manipulation changes the original signal, if you stretch it or compress it in any way there are always additional artifacts.

contexttttttttttttt

smiletron wrote:

artifacts are barely noticeable

Fairly noticeable I would say.

Los Angeles

I will say when its sitting in the mix, and its done right, and its not extreme, then it might not be terribly noticeable.

However, I never MIDI synced gameboy recordings so that I can multitrack. I would just set the song tempo to match- This is kind of necessary if you have tempo changes, or if your working on someone else's song where you don't want to change their tempo.

Nashville, Tennessee
trash80 wrote:

I will say when its sitting in the mix, and its done right, and its not extreme, then it might not be terribly noticeable.

Chicago IL

i thought over producing and under writing was like the main thing to do now

The City Of Angels

Hasn't that always been the main thing to do since the late 20th century?

hypehypehype

Scotland

I had a talk with Jonny Greenwood last week. Just one question I wanted to ask him - what's the perfect way to equalise my songs?

The answer was a blinder.

California
Shirobon wrote:

remember to roll of your low end so it issnt too muddy!

how

Vancouver

I sample from other artists, overlay vocals and call it indie

Finland

I like artifacts caused by stretching on _some_ instruments:) And I like dirty but big sound on the whole mix (I really like how legendary rock producer Steve Albini produces records, of course my quality is faaar away from that) so some times I saturate/distort separate tracks that sound too "clean" little bit afterwards.

Last edited by DKSTR (Jan 15, 2010 8:26 am)

paris, france

I hand-draw sample under FastTracker 2.