York, Yorkshire
nonfinite wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

may our dead songs play on like glitched out sprites into infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whos Juan? Must be important to have a month named after him tongue

Sweeeeeeden
nonfinite wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

may our dead songs play on like glitched out sprites into infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of the infinity cart... My opinion on this cartridge is that it solves a problem that doesn't exist. The problem I saw in BP's sav is unique to EMS cartridges. It might be a glitch in their CPLD (Memory bank controller emulation) Regardless, the most common glitch I see in savs people send me happens because the cartridge looses its connection to the cartridge slot or that the Gameboy loses power and turns itself off. When thi happens, the Gameboy CPU writes the values 00 39 all over the memory map. As a side effect, up to 8 kB of the external RAM may be overwritten.

This problem is not at all related to the cartridge battery, so the NVRAM in the Infinity cart won't help a single bit in this respect. But, what's even worse... The original Bleepbloop cartridge (non-USB, and USB as well I think) had an MM1134 RAM protection circuit which would disable access to the SRAM if the external power went away, saving it from that type of glitch. The infinity cart cannot use this circuit as it's not battery powered. So, unless Jose has come up with a clever solution to the problem, this cartridge is actually more vulnerable to this type of glitch!

In my opinion, the increased component cost and the doubtful benefit of the NVRAM makes me wonder if it was a wise decision to go for this new design. Especially since the battery holder makes it so easy to swap the battery. (And with my upcoming LittleFM file manager, sorry for the wait, it'll be possible to store up to 8 full 128 kB savs in flash memory, which is truly stable in every respect, on any bleepbloop or smartboy cartridge.)

Madison, WI
BitPop wrote:

Whos Juan? Must be important to have a month named after him tongue

Fxied, thnaks. smile

New York City
nitro2k01 wrote:

In my opinion, the increased component cost and the doubtful benefit of the NVRAM makes me wonder if it was a wise decision to go for this new design. Especially since the battery holder makes it so easy to swap the battery.

Sounds like this is a lot more fail from the scammer that brought us the stealcart xD

BOSTON

bizarre update.

Here is an odd thing: when i got my cart back from kitsch, i booted it up on my DMG a few times, and nothing... johan screen of death. Then i put it in my CGB, just so i didn't misplace the cart. later I randomly turned on the CGB to show my GF the dead cart screen, and MY FRIGGIN .SAV LOADED. the first 10 or so lines in the tracker screen were glitchy on playback and had to be re-done, but the rest of my song files were fine and i was able to recover all my friggin tracks....

WEIRD.

i'm paranoid it will fail again, so i recorded all the tracks (i dont have a transferrer) and won't touch the cart until i get my smartboy & transferrer and see if i can get the saves off.

?!?!?!?!

nitro2k01 wrote:

(And with my upcoming LittleFM file manager, sorry for the wait, it'll be possible to store up to 8 full 128 kB savs in flash memory, which is truly stable in every respect, on any bleepbloop or smartboy cartridge.)

thanks for the excellent info nitro, i was really considering the infinity cart... i probably would have bought 3, but perhaps ill wait and see. Also- the file manager is going to be a HUGE DEAL, and I can't wait until its out.

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Feb 1, 2010 8:17 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

thanks for the excellent info nitro, i was really considering the infinity cart... i probably would have bought 3, but perhaps ill wait and see. Also- the file manager is going to be a HUGE DEAL, and I can't wait until its out.

But keep in mind that it won't work on any EMS cartridges. sad

Abandoned on Fire
nitro2k01 wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

But keep in mind that it won't work on any EMS cartridges. sad

Ah sucky... that includes the 64M usb carts?

Tokyo, Japan
Bit Shifter wrote:

Lost all my recent work in a cart battery death two days ago.
( ; _____________________ ; )

Courage Wolf, give me strength in this time of weighty challenge and grief.

I feel like this now. Spread the courage, Mr. Wolf!

nitro2k01 wrote:

...the most common glitch I see in savs people send me happens because the cartridge looses its connection to the cartridge slot...

I think this is what caused my last few losses. But it happened when backing up old EMS carts with the first version of the Transferer.
The shitty thing is that it always seem to happen just a few days before a show. Last time it happened, all saved songs on the cart where fine except my un-backed up latest one.
Now I've ordered a few EMS USB cartridges and will solely use these for writing tracks on.

Tokyo, Japan

I've gone through my back ups and fortunately, the majority of stuff is on a back up i did on Sept 24th.

In essence, I've lost 2 and a half new songs, so the damage wasn't too catastrophic. I have done a full back up again now though, and probably will every Friday from now on!!

☺☺☺
akira^8GB wrote:

You are basically fucked if your battery ran out.

Does the battery running out cause cart corruption? Ive been seemingly crash free until the past month or so.....

courage wolf can stuff it im pissed

matt's mind
Emar wrote:

Does the battery running out cause cart corruption?

yup

Wellington, New Zealand

I just make a song then as soon as I can record it. Sometimes I do it through my monotron for a tiny bit of effects. It must be a real pain in the butt that your songs you were going to use for a concert are destroyed.

Westfield, NJ

You should update the title to reflect that you recovered your songs, you had me worried!

))<>((

I think he should update the title to reflect that this thread is eight months old.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yeah, this was a crazy necro.

On a related note, I always bring my netbook with my .sav backups so I can restore them if anything goes wrong.  I suppose not everyone has a laptop they can bring with them.  Perhaps building an arduino based device that could link a flash drive and a cartridge and restore data.  Or an Atari ST program!

/pipe_dream

Last edited by jefftheworld (Oct 8, 2010 11:49 pm)