Massachusetts

Just trying to find the best cart I can for LSDJ so far. I know the EMS carts have a hard time operating on Pockets (and I'm not sure how it performs on SPs or colors--my other GBs) but does the Bleepbloop?

I get iffy about using DMGs since they're all getting pretty old. I try to use them only when recording.

Thanks for your help guys.

Canada

Bleepbloops work on pockets. I wouldn't worry about using DMGs though, they're practically indestructible. If they're going to die it's probably not because you're using them.

Massachusetts

Truthfully, I'm not worried about what I could possibly do to it. I'm more worried about the internal parts failing, especially the screen. Those missing pixels are irreversible and borderline heartbreaking.

I had a DMG that had a speaker that just stopped functioning after years of use. Never dropped it and out of the blue--poof!

rochester, ny

my ems cart works perfectly on my SP. just saying.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Another successful EMS+SP user.

Also, failing game boy screens are semi-reversible. I have yet to have a screen that has survived this long get any worse, but as of right now there's no real shortage of parts.

A bad screen is great for a gameboy you plan to use with mGB though. Don't need it nearly as much.

Canada

You can easily fix vertical columns of dead pixels. Horizontal ones can't really be helped, but I've never seen them die on their own.

Massachusetts
kineticturtle wrote:

Another successful EMS+SP user.

Also, failing game boy screens are semi-reversible. I have yet to have a screen that has survived this long get any worse, but as of right now there's no real shortage of parts.

A bad screen is great for a gameboy you plan to use with mGB though. Don't need it nearly as much.

Really? I've never heard of those being reversible. As far as being replaceable, it wouldn't matter. I don't have a soldering iron OR the skills to pull off the job, unfortunately.

Also, I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is mGB? The more of this stuff I learn about, the better.

Canada
mountainhead wrote:

Really? I've never heard of those being reversible. As far as being replaceable, it wouldn't matter. I don't have a soldering iron OR the skills to pull off the job, unfortunately.

Also, I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is mGB? The more of this stuff I learn about, the better.

DMG LCD Repair: http://8bc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5679
Otherwise you can just swap the front halves of two DMGs by pulling the ribbon cable out of the connector and plugging the other screen in.

mGB: http://code.google.com/p/arduinoboy/

Last edited by Rolf (Oct 19, 2010 7:32 am)

matt's mind

you can use the EMS carts in pockets fine *if* you use an AC adapter.  the adapter's specs can be found at the bottom of the product description in ye old site...

they should work fine on the other consoles. 

the two AAA batteries in the pocket simply don't have enough juice for the pocket when using the EMS cart.  if you wanted to know the technical reason, ya know...

Massachusetts

@Rolf
Thanks for all that information. I don't know which part I'm more excited about. But it looks like I left 8bc right about when that was posted, no wonder I never knew.

@Kitsch
I had a feeling it was the AAAs. I use a Nanoloop cart with my Pocket, albeit not for an extended period of time. Also, thanks again. Chances are I'll be picking up one of the last EMS carts from you. :]