Heh, Matt, our gameboys look the same

I use acetone on this one as well. It helps, but too many people over do it.

Yellow/orange dye very well. I know blue and black don't however.

I'll be trying pink next, if I can find some pink dye. Or maybe I'll try mixing red and white.

Actually...Hmm... I'm going to try this now...

I'll be back in 20 minutes.

*edit*

Didn't work. Bwahaha.

Last edited by Apeshit (Oct 22, 2010 2:11 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Red and white didn't work, or pink didn't work? I did a spraypainted pink for a friend, came out really well. I put clearcoat on it which faded the front somehow, but it wound up looking nice.

I have green to try soon. I really want a green gameboy, I hope it works out. smile

Probably this weekend sometime.

Red and white didn't work. It just dyed it red with a white layer on top that rubbed off.
The shell was broken, though. So it's ok.

I saw a green gameboy that Kitsch dyed and it looked great. I've been wanting to try that as well, but I can't find any green dye.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Kelly Green RIT is all over the place here. I may have an extra pack after I'm done doing mine, I'll let you know.

Last edited by kineticturtle (Oct 22, 2010 8:34 pm)

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has tried using the liquid Rit Dyes or if the powder is the only way to go.

matt's mind

either will work, just mix them according to the directions for the strength you want (i'm not sure how powder:liquid converts).

but, yes, will work fine.  it helps avoid clumping of the powder too.  they cost more though, from what i remember...

Awesome, I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow! I've got some of the Aquamarine blue dye that I want to try out on one of my DMGs.

Louisiana

Just bewares that blue has a history of not working to well. Fingers crossed for you man. And write your process down if it works. I'm sure a lot of people would love to know how to do it.

Cleveland, OH

I did this one a few years ago, scarlet red liquid dye mixed very well on the clear purple case:

And I think I was trying to dye this one blue but I used the darkest blue and it came out an awesome black color:

matt's mind

oh.  in case you didn't catch the safety warning in this thread.....

when you add the acetone to your hot water, the acetone lowers the boiling temp and for a little bit the water will start boiling.  this is pretty cool to watch, but consider that everything splashing out of that bubbling colored bath is acetone/rit mixture.  you can stain your countertop forever, or burn your flesh from the acetone. 

acetone is highly toxic stuff, its so much better to do this sort of thing outside if you're able.  at least have air movement and a way to exhaust the room you're in (exhaust outside, not just spread it around), and you should think about wearing a mask. 

maybe i'm just overly cautious though.  had an relative get a brain tumor, she was a painter and used acetone a lot (super cheap stuff too) and there was always speculation it was exposure to the acetone numerous times a day. 

at the least, cover up the area you are working in.  it's nearly impossible to get that stuff out of surfaces once it penetrates, and with the acetone you've created a mixture which by its nature breaks down the surface and penetrates the molecular structure of plastics.  it can eat surface finishes, stain tile in a heartbeat, even discolor porcelain unless you bleach it out really well afterwards (found that out).

Thanks for all your help guys. After doing some more research, I think I'm just going to try and track down some blue X Metals paint for this one and dye my other one. Whatever I end up doing, I'll let you guys know how it turns out!