Also, stay off the internet.

England
TristEndo-in-spacebutt wrote:

I wish i knew more music theory.

can i still be creative in music if i don't know advanced music logic and theory?

I find it helpful to think like this: Music theory, like mathematics, is a human invention to enable us to analyse and communicate about music, amongst other things.

Let me give a (pretty OK-ish) comparison: You know how when a footballer kicks a ball in the most amazing curve and lands the ball just where he wants it? That footballer doesn't necessarily have any knowledge on projectiles and mechanics; rather it's all done by feel. And a mathematician could analyse that same kick with conventional physics and maths too. Ultimately, the "art" of the kick is what affects the reality, and the footballer - even if he's a great one - needs no understanding of the theory of projectiles.

Music and theory are somewhat similar to this. One needs no theory training to tell when something sounds good, or even to create great music, but knowledge of the theory can bring all sorts of new ways of looking at and communicating about music. Goes back to what I said earlier about theory being a "tool" for us to help us in our musical endeavours.

how many of you guys create music purely from ear?

I do, but it's quite a rare skill. I'm blessed with perfect pitch and have been making music since before I understood what music really was, and I am musically trained to a very high level. So I have quite an advantage when it comes to working with musical ideas "in the brain" wink . A good musician will have to put the hours in just like anyone else who's good at anything. But all these skills can be learned (if you want to).

i love majo7th chords a lot please don't make fun of me.

So did Johnny Marr, and that didn't stop him being perhaps the most influential pop guitarist of the '80s!

what do I do about the anxiety of being imperfect?

I'd like to say I don't have that problem wink , but I think it's something that humans in all walks of life will have to deal with, at least for the foreseeable!

Hope this is useful, and maybe reassuring, to you.

Last edited by InactiveX (Oct 25, 2010 8:27 am)

Yuma, AZ
crystal8es wrote:

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Crystal from Louisiana, US.

?

nitro2k01 edit: changed the link. That f*cker isn't gonna get SEO at our expense.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Oct 25, 2010 5:18 pm)

Unsubscribe

Its called spam son.

go write a song about it

california
PlainFlavored wrote:

This one is very important. So much distraction.

chunter wrote:

Hitori Tori makes this kind of music:

oh i heart using hardware. that's an awesome tune.

Florida

Agreeing with what PlainFlavored just said. Getting away from the computer seems to do wonders for me.

Also, take risks and try stuff you aren't comfortable with. Many of my 'creative breakthroughs' have come when I pushed myself into unfamiliar territory. For example: two years ago I started sampling vinyl. At first it was daunting because I had no real idea what the heck to do to make the samples sound good in a song, but now I can't imagine working without them. Most of the brass parts in the album I'm working on are nothing more than reprocessed bits from old jazz records. They practically know me at the thrift stores now.

Sweden

Should I be interested in creating a work of art if i don't understand the theory behind it entirely?

Yes, I think most beautiful works of art come from a combination of experience and intuition, and not so often deliberate explorations of technical theory.

how many of you guys create music purely from ear?

I doubt anyone does (although I recommend trying!). You will always build up a set of concepts, ideas and patterns from just making music (you probably do it intuitively and subconsciously) that you will come back to when you're composing the next time. If you are a human, you will analyze and theorize about most everything you do whether you want to or not.

what do I do about the anxiety of being imperfect?

Take some time to realize that nothing is perfect. What makes a song perfect for you? Also keep in mind that imperfections can highlight beauty.

EDIT: I think we need to define what "purely from ear" means. Literally speaking, it makes no sense of course, but I think that InactiveX and I are a few steps apart in our definitions. What I meant to say is that there's always some knowledge you build upon when creating music (or kicking balls), whether you read it in some book, heard it, found out by practice or were inspired by something else. I don't really believe in ultimate originality, and there's no such thing as making something up out of the blue, which I'm sure InactiveX will agree with. Just so that's clear smile

I guess that InactiveX interpreted the question more like "how many of you guys create music purely by intuition?" while my own interpretation was really too literal to be of any use at all.

Last edited by boomlinde (Oct 26, 2010 12:35 pm)

Philly, PA, USA
PlainFlavored wrote:

they just don't want you here friend.

Godzilladelph

agreed with boomlinde, i can name very very few musicians in school for music theory right now who actually make good music on their own. years of theory definitely changes the way you think, i'm guilty of this as well a little bit, but whenever i hear someone with theory knowledge solo, they always go for modulations and key changes and just generally think of what to play in the most technical way possible to show off 'how good they are'
it's so cold and robotic sad whateva, rant over

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

Fuck theory
Shape sound

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

it depends on how hard on yourself you want to be when making music.  An idea for a song can help you get started, but i dont think it helps you finish a song, in some cases no matter what, an idea can make you dislike the end product based off of how far you deviated from the original thought process.

Godzilladelph
Reteris wrote:

Fuck theory
Shape sound

Matthew Joseph Payne
Reteris wrote:

Fuck theory
Shape sound

No, do both.

sweden
Reteris wrote:

Shape theory
Fuck sound

California

Thank you all for chiming in on this discussion. for the record this was not an emo or self pity thread. just a lot of inter duologue i put on the internet to see what you all would consider to be a unique creative mind state and work flow .

Linde: when i say  "by ear": I mean literally sitting with an instrument and discovering what notes and chords work well with each other. This is a time consuming task that knowing theory would eliminate.