))<>((

As the title suggests, I am writing a simple, silly chip-scene-theme'd text based RPG in Bash. (Bash is essentially like Batch on a Windows system, but it's far superior, is an actual programming language, and is the default shell of most Linux distributions, is available on OS X, and has been ported to Windows as well).

Anyway, I'm using .NSFs as the background music; The script generates a random number between 0 and 32767, and selects an .NSF based on that number. So in theory, I could have 32767 different .NSFs for background music.

(I could use other formats, but I've found that .XMs, and .SIDs don't loop properly in gstreamer, which is what I'm using to play the music)

And a total of four people will probably play this game when it's done, so if you want your music heard by ALL THOSE PEOPLE, send it to me, and I'll chuck it in there.

So SEND ME YO NSFS ;D

my email is my username AT the mail that is google DOT com

;D

(also keep in mind this isn't a serious endeavour or anything, and it is going to be rather silly. It's basically just proving to myself that is is possible to write a game in Bash, and I decided the chip scene would make an amusing theme.)

[OFFICIAL HOMEPAGE]
http://tacticalbread.info/hairquest/

[OFFICIAL TRACKLIST]
0 - his8 - Feel Better
1 - PlainFlavored - Murder City Uprising
2 - TristEndo - ant1 has a mystery coffe date with a woman who might wants to marry him he has to be there by 3
3 - TristEndo - Blackoutcrew Putadonkonit [1.2]
4 - TristEndo - generic tune
5 - TristEndo - GREEN
6 - TristEndo - Charles Barlkey's: Hoopdreams
7 - TristEndo - Nanospys
8 - hpizzle - Overkill
9 - an-cat-max - adventures in sex(2)
10 - an-cat-max - moonlight prom
11 - an-cat-max - puss puss (vrc6)
12 - zan-zan-zawa-veia - seek life
13 - Guardia - Able Farm
14 - Guardia - Dry Fabric
15 - OFFICIAL THEME SONG - hpizzle - HairQuest

[OFFICIAL SCREENSHOTS]
Day 1: 0
Day 2: 0 1
Day 15: 0 1 2 3 4 5
Day 16: 0
Day 49: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6

[OFFICIAL 'BUILDS' (CM.ORG EXCLUSIVE LOL)]
Day 17: http://tacticalbread.info/hairquest/day17.tar.gz
Day 47: http://tacticalbread.info/hairquest/day47.tar.gz
Day 49: http://tacticalbread.info/hairquest/day49.tar.gz

Last edited by tacticalbread (Dec 15, 2010 11:32 pm)

Yuma, AZ

I don't have a way to record reliably right now, otherwise I'd send you something.

SLC, UT

AHAAHAHAHAAGGHHH. I love some text based games. I have a super secret idea that could easily be worth millions. I need a programmer. PM me. And that looks TIGHT and that music is so FRESH.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Seeing as how he wants an .nsf I don't see why you would need to record.

))<>((
stargazer wrote:

AHAAHAHAHAAGGHHH. I love some text based games. I have a super secret idea that could easily be worth millions. I need a programmer. PM me. And that looks TIGHT and that music is so FRESH.

why, thank you sir!

and I wouldn't really call myself a programmer in the slightest, but PM'd anyway. tongue

jefftheworld wrote:

Seeing as how he wants an .nsf I don't see why you would need to record.

haha exactly. xP

The idea of programming actual functional software in Bash seems really alien and awesome to me. However, that being said, gstreamer NSF playback is just awwwful.

edit: http://chipmusic.org/plainflavored/musi … y-uprising

double edit: To set a range on a random number so that you don't have to code a really dumb way of selecting a song, you can use a modulus. A modulus divides a number by whatever you tell it to, but instead of outputting the result it outputs the remainder.

(random_number) % (how_many_songs_you_have)

Last edited by PlainFlavored (Oct 29, 2010 6:01 am)

))<>((
PlainFlavored wrote:

The idea of programming actual functional software in Bash seems really alien and awesome to me.

which is exactly why I'm doing this. tongue Writing something that that the language was definitely not intended for.

PlainFlavored wrote:

However, that being said, gstreamer NSF playback is just awwwful.

heh, unfortunately, it's the best option (that I've found) for compatibility. (I haven't even been able to get anything else to play .NSFs on my own damn computer, let alone everyone elses.

sweet! Track number two! ;D

PlainFlavored wrote:

double edit: To set a range on a random number so that you don't have to code a really dumb way of selecting a song, you can use a modulus. A modulus divides a number by whatever you tell it to, but instead of outputting the result it outputs the remainder.

(random_number) % (how_many_songs_you_have)

that's actually exactly how I have it. tongue I just put 32767 because that's the range $RANDOM generates, so in theory, the maximum number I could have, the way I'm doing it now.

(random number) % (number of .nsfs in directory)

Last edited by tacticalbread (Oct 29, 2010 6:09 am)

BOSTON

i so want to play this game

))<>((

haha, in due time, good sir.

also, track list updated. ;D

Abandoned on Fire
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

i so want to play this game

"with my ASS"

No, seriously, a text RPG lampooning the chip scene is number 1 on my play list.  smile

Last edited by egr (Oct 29, 2010 11:40 pm)

))<>((

ha. tongue

Once I've got a basic engine down, I'll come to you guys for creative input. ;D

Melbourne, Australia

lol looks awesome. can I be one of those 4 people?

))<>((

heh sure. tongue

also, DAY 2 SCREEN SHOTS!

I added a basic menu, and a stats menu, or sorts.

btw, I need a name for this lol.

Last edited by tacticalbread (Oct 30, 2010 8:42 am)

I would love to check out the source code to this... seeing as it's a shell script it's going to have to come under at least one person's scrutiny at one point anyways.

))<>((

yeah, of course it'll be open source, as it's kind of hard to have a closed script shell script. tongue

(also, I'm sure it's rather inefficient as I'm teaching myself bash with this lol.)

well if anyone wants to check out the Day 2 'build': http://tacticalbread.info/bash/bashrpg.zip

Last edited by tacticalbread (Oct 30, 2010 8:09 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
tacticalbread wrote:

btw, I need a name for this lol.

HairQuest.