Spokompton
trash80 wrote:
undergroundclouds wrote:

how are you doing this? I got an arduino last month and the first thing I tried to do was FM synthesis. I sorta gave up on it because it was just too frigging lo-fi and grainy. I couldn't imagine making "music" this way because it couldn't even handle 2 operators, let alone 8 operator pairs as in OPL2 FM.

Looks like hes using a chip synth. smile

ah... I guess you'd have to cannibalize a soundblaster or something to get one of those?

Matthew Joseph Payne
trash80 wrote:

..arduino in my dmg...sample oscillator and drum sample player...custom lsdj code

Yikes, very cool! I can't wait to see/hear more.

sweden
trash80 wrote:

No I mean I have a arduino in my dmg (pro mini)
I've been working on it for a few days. It's a sample oscillator and drum sample player. Using a 4bit r2r dac which sounds a bit better than using pwm. It's using some custom lsdj code thats not available at the moment. Heres a old clip from friday, the only thing gameboy is the pu1 synth.

MIND IS BLOWN!

Melbourne, Australia

Making good audio with the arduino isn't really possible unless you plan to use one of the timer interrupts and make it faster.

hardcore, Australia

There was a guy at a soundbytes open mic once, that played this arduino synth. It sounded awesome.

Finland
TmTgr wrote:

Making good audio with the arduino isn't really possible unless you plan to use one of the timer interrupts and make it faster.

Yeah, I take it more as a learning about building stuff, but the demos I've heard have sounded pretty nice to me.

But now the bending with midi controls sounds the most interesting choice. Doing bending 'sequences' sounds pretty cool.

Finland

Hmm, does anyone know is doing midisyncing hard to implement to simple sequencer like this:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/dig … nkConsole/

Finland

So this is what I came up with (for now). I'm planning to add 4bitsynth to this too.

Mp3:
http://soundcloud.com/dkstr/mantra-test

Mantra is Pure Data based 8 step sequencer combined to Arduino based synth.
Sequencer has:
-One synth channel
-One gated channel of same synth
-Bass generator that gets the pitch from the synth
-3 Drum channels
-Arpeggio-like channel
-In addition one synth is routed to Ableton Live to create ambience

Synth is based on Auduino.

Vancouver, BC
TmTgr wrote:

That touches on a related question I've been wondering about:

If timers and interrupts are used, could the Arduino be used to directly synthesize PWM oscillator waveforms?
Is this how some people are already doing it?

(To try and be clear, I'm not talking about putting samples through an A/D at 44kHz, I'm talking about directly toggling output pins at varying frequencies and duty cycles, using the 16MHz clock as the fundamental timing source; i.e. more similar to NES or C64 pulse wave generation.)

How many voices and what quality would be doable?

Melbourne, Australia

Yes it can.
The quality is quite good and the amount of voices.. I'm not sure.

Los Angeles

Personally I dont like the quality of pwm as dac. but that is due to aliasing on high notes. which wouldnt be a problem if you did some interpolation magic. but, that is kind of hard on the arduino due to processer intensity. I would imagine this same problem exists with using a external dac as well. Unless you're running at a very high sample rate (well above 44.1khz)

I use a r2r dac and run the interrupt at the proper rate to create pitch, which restricts it to monophonic and uses 4 pins for 4bit.
Lame restriction but the quality is quite nice for notes- pure 4bit oscillator- no aliasing, no lowpass filter to kill the high pitch tone generated by the pwm at the frequency of the sample rate.

brighton, uk
herr_prof wrote:

How come there isnt an any arduino drum samplers

/self serving suggestion

oh but there is!

http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/0 … chine.html

Unsubscribe

I hope for something a ltitle more advanced then:

Currently, the code contains four drum sounds (kick, snare, hi-hat and cymbal). More sounds can be added easily. Each sound is 128 samples long with a depth of 8 bits. The samples are stored in separate arrays. Thus, the present sketch is only 3228 bytes long.

But it does look cool!

Melbourne, Australia
herr_prof wrote:

I hope for something a ltitle more advanced then:

Currently, the code contains four drum sounds (kick, snare, hi-hat and cymbal). More sounds can be added easily. Each sound is 128 samples long with a depth of 8 bits. The samples are stored in separate arrays. Thus, the present sketch is only 3228 bytes long.

But it does look cool!

Trash80's synth has some better drum samples, 4bit depth 22100Hz.
I've also messed around with 8bit samples at about 15KHz being played using the hardware pwm at 62.5KHz but they ate space very quickly.

Los Angeles

It's mono but you cant really tell, the drum samples are tiny. 4bit sample player & sample osc & pwm synthesizer with filter... I'll be releasing the code at some point, once its working nice.

Sweden

As if game boy music isn't hard enough to explain already, trash80 smile

Excellent work! You, too, Rolf.