Sweden

I would like to modify my STe so that I get like three output jacks, one for each voice. I don't care about the DMA-channels. Do I just connect jacks directly to the YM? If so; which pins?

The main reason is that I get too much distortion when playing all three at the same time, even when lowering the output with microwire.

Or is this just stupid?

São Paulo, Brazil

I like distortion. Always, every time.

New York City
aent wrote:

The main reason is that I get too much distortion when playing all three at the same time

You are putting too much volume on each channel, then. Lower the level.

Was that a real issue? ;_;

Dublin, Ireland

Mod shown here, he mentions the pins numbers in there.

Sweden
akira^8GB wrote:

You are putting too much volume on each channel, then. Lower the level.

Was that a real issue? ;_;

Lower the level of the instruments? I'll have a look at it. No, but it seems like a fun project to do.

iNFOTOXIN wrote:

Mod shown here, he mentions the pins numbers in there.

Thanks! So pins 3,4 and 38 - but he says I have to cut them? Because they are soldered together; if I just solder jacks onto the pins I will just get three identical outputs, right? Seems kind of drastic to cut the actual pins of.

Also now that he mentioned it in the video, how do I get the DMA channels as well? Just in case or something. Can't find datasheet for it because I don't know what the chip is called.

Dublin, Ireland

Honestly I haven't a clue about any of it, I'm a total noob. I'm hoping for some kind of tutorial, the guy from the Atari Music Network's asked but didn't get much of a response.

New York City
aent wrote:

Lower the level of the instruments? I'll have a look at it.

No, man, lower the general output of each channel so you don't clip the master. You are clipping it. TOO LOUD. Comprende?

Sweden
akira^8GB wrote:
aent wrote:

Lower the level of the instruments? I'll have a look at it.

No, man, lower the general output of each channel so you don't clip the master. You are clipping it. TOO LOUD. Comprende?

Yeah I get that, thats why I tried all the others stuff. How do I lower the volume of yeah channel in maxYMiser? With MIDI it's easy, but in the tracker it looks like It's the volume column is where it's at? Seems like the same thing as to change the instruments. Or have I missed something?

Unsubscribe

http://www.jeffn.com/vintage/tweety.jpg

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

You can take direct off the chip but i recommend using a series R and output cap to protect the chip.
In an ideal world i'd recommend a buffered output..

My new NESmod2 pcb would work perfect for this as it supports 3 channels. problem is.. it's not finished yet! smile

I've been meaning to do a tutorial for individual outs on an STE. I know some people make a fuss about "it doesn't sound as good
with the channels separated because they dont modulate each other the same"
But the channels get summed together anyways in the end before it's made into an mp3 so what is the difference between in the box or out of the box?  lol.

anyways..

Series output resistor (maybe a 1k-10k, experiment) and an output electrolitic (1-10uF @25V-50V)

uhajdafdfdfa

Because analogue summing is better! smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
ant1 wrote:

Because analogue summing is better! smile

So sum it down analog :-P
Doesn't mean it has to be in the box of the STE. just cuz it's stock doens' tmean they were going for best possible sound, more like.. this works pack it ship it. smile

New York City

Just because you separate the outputs doesn't mean you are not pumping too much volume on each channel anymore, may I add.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
akira^8GB wrote:

Just because you separate the outputs doesn't mean you are not pumping too much volume on each channel anymore, may I add.

Thats what the series R will take care of(or better yet, use 2 resistors as a voltage divider).. which is why i didn't spec it out with a specific value 1k-10k .
If the signal is too hot, attenuation can easily be done.

anyways.. lots of options.

Sweden
akira^8GB wrote:

No one has said that, and I would very much like your tip on how to lower the whole channel at once. In maxYMiser that is, there's a MIDI CC that does it but I can't find a decent setting or command for it in the tracker.

Grand Rapids, MI
aent wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

No one has said that, and I would very much like your tip on how to lower the whole channel at once. In maxYMiser that is, there's a MIDI CC that does it but I can't find a decent setting or command for it in the tracker.

You COULD try lowering the values in your volume sequence. That would achieve the effect of what you're looking to do.

To be quite honest though I don't think it'll clean up your noise. Akira is right that too-high volumes can cause clipping, but running multiple channels at once causes distortion that isn't due to clipping. As such, you might not hear a difference (other than how loud it is) by adjusting channel volume. To get rid of that distortion you'd want to separate the YM's outputs (so that every channel would sound as clean as it does when played solo). This is what everyone else is talking about, Akira is stuck on the clipping thing, haha

Last edited by Norock (Jan 25, 2010 2:57 pm)