▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

not necessarily comments about my stuff,
but chip music in general...

"mario music!"
"if yew can call that a song..."
"please stop... that's giving me a head ache..."
"was that a castlevania/zelda/metroid cover?" (after every song)

London, Ontario

after playing my set : "were you playing zelda?"

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I played one of my songs (one I thought was my most well written) for my father a couple weeks ago during a visit home from my University...he stopped what he was doing...listened while I played the whole thing...said: "neat"...then went back to listening to Gary Numan.  Thanks, dad.

"Oh man! You're Heosphoros! You're the coolest. That fag Nullsleep needs to get a fucking life"

Cambridge UK

Girls have it easier.
Just last week : "Wait. You're studying assembly, drink whiskey and help organize Toy Company?! I know a lot of guys who'd be into you."
Me stares. Guy blushes.

matt's mind
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

...then went back to listening to Gary Numan

don't take it insultingly...  Numan is a compulsion sometimes...

☺☺☺

At a show last year this one dude stood up against the table and would not fucking shut up...

"LEVEL 2!!!"

"OMG ITS LEVEL 3!!!"

"NOW THE CASTLE STAGE"

"WHERES THE PRINCESS??"

i then play my most abrasive and grating song and scream "NOT SO MARIO ANYMORE"

Ive also had the standard "WHERES THE MP3 PLAYUR" at which point i unplug both of my gameboys almost blowing the PA (whoopsies) to show the fuck that it was real

Chepachet, Rhode Island
kitsch wrote:
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

...then went back to listening to Gary Numan

don't take it insultingly...  Numan is a compulsion sometimes...

no no...don't get me wrong...I actually love Gary Numan...I just logic-ed it out in my head like: "Gary Numan...my stuff is kinda industrialish...this may be the opportune time..."

Canada
George wrote:

Girls have it easier.
Just last week : "Wait. You're studying assembly, drink whiskey and help organize Toy Company?! I know a lot of guys who'd be into you."
Me stares. Guy blushes.

I'd imagine woman composers would get different responses.
Mainly because of the ratio of game-crazy boys to girls, but don't take it offensively:)
"I know a lot of guys who'd be into you" for your awesome music tastes.

Liverpool, UK

I'D PUT STICKERS ON YOUR BOOBS IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT, PHWOOOAAARRRR

Cambridge UK
calmdownkidder wrote:

I'D PUT STICKERS ON YOUR BOOBS IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT, PHWOOOAAARRRR

I tend to get that, too.

Last edited by George (Feb 8, 2011 3:28 pm)

Westfield, NJ
J&HT wrote:

(just after the end of a song at a show i played a long time ago)

"have you got any DJ [some guy who makes chavvy bassline music]?"
"i'm not a DJ and this is a gameboy, it doesn't support mp3s"
"oh"

I've had stuff like that... really with any kind of electronic music you are going to get haters, at least in the USA. Not related to chip, there was the time I was DJing at a student club in Princeton, and some girl came up and said "could you play some dance music? like, NOT techno?" and my friend walked over after she walked away and said "yeah she's an idiot, what she basically wants is just Lady Gaga and anything else she's heard on the radio." The worst part is I wasn't playing techno at all, it was house & indie stuff.

Then there was my first show in NYC where I was doing half chip and half dirty electro stuff with Ableton and some girl, totally wasted, came up and said "do you have such-and-such by the so-and-so" and while I couldn't figure out what song she was asking for, I eventually figured out what was going on and said "no, you don't understand, I'm not DJing, this is all my own music and I'm playing it right now." It's just so hard to explain to people that laptops and gameboys can actually be synthesizers... they always think you're DJing.

Then there's all the people that call DS-10 Dominator "the DS10 DJ." Rough.

not jophish anymore

"so do you listen to any real music?"

lolusa

guy in coors light hat: "HEY DO YOU HAVE THE KARAOKE LIST????"

Riverside, CA

My girlfriend says it's boring and that the people at the shows are "weird".

I've fortunately not shown most of my stuff outside the Internet. The sole exception would be my mother, who happens to be amazed by my stuff, but "rather have me playing it with real-sounding instruments". I don't wanna show my father, because he'll only speak of "how much can you sell this for" and "why aren't you charging for your stuff", among other rather consumerist-like comments.

I've yet to try with some friends of mine, but I think they'd understand. ...I think.