philly
Flopps wrote:

How much does a EPROM burning set you back around?

i got lucky w/ that... my cousin grabbed this from work... they dont use it anymore - so it was free

Tacoma WA
trash80 wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Seems like the KRK Rokits are being widespread among us... I may be considering getting a pair but am not sure 100%

KRK's are over bassy, don't get them if you want accuracy.
They are perfect for cheap decent ear candy though.

for the price and for what i do with them i can't really complain.  but they are definitely not super stellar.  i also don't have them located in a good place.  they're way to close to the walls in a corners.  but i know how they sound and i'm used to the room so it works out for me.

tRasH cAn maN wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

I want a good dynamic range and the FLATTEST sound possible.

Then you need a well acoustically treated room with good proportions to begin with. Otherwise it won't matter what monitors you put up.

this is very important and totally ignored by me.  i just don't have the time / money / time to get it set up correctly right now.

Malaga, Spain

Wow! I feel so little thing right now. I've just started making chip music and your set-ups are so professional compare with mine!! (Only have a Game boy advance... Nothing more...) sad

Abandoned on Fire
3nc0d3r wrote:

Wow! I feel so little thing right now. I've just started making chip music and your set-ups are so professional compare with mine!! (Only have a Game boy advance... Nothing more...) sad

GBA + flashcart is all you really need. smile  Or any computer.  Use what ya got!

New York City
infradead wrote:
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

Then you need a well acoustically treated room with good proportions to begin with. Otherwise it won't matter what monitors you put up.

this is very important and totally ignored by me.  i just don't have the time / money / time to get it set up correctly right now.

Yup, the most ignored fact about studio setup, usually.
I am trying to acoustically adapt my room to the best of my possibilities.

Malaga, Spain
Sabrepulse wrote:

better (tidy) photo big_smile :

Awesome set-up, my friend...

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
arottenbit wrote:

some guitars.

is that a casio DG-20 MIDI Guitar i spy?
that thing always reminds me of "boom king"
by flight of the conchords now. lulz...

PDX
tRasH cAn maN wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

I want a good dynamic range and the FLATTEST sound possible.

This is what everyone says, and is definitely true if you want a "flat" sound or are making a pro recording studio and especially if you are charging people, but here's a story to illustrate my experience with it.

My first monitors were NS-10M's (with an underpowered amp). They sounded like shit. After using them for a month, everything I did sounded spot on in the car. Then I got some Mackie HR24 MKI. Everything sounded TOO good, and after using them for a month, everything sounded spot on in the car. Then I sold it all and got some half-assed Mackie desktop speakers in a trade. After using them for a month, everything I do sounds spot on in the car.

Shit, maybe I just need to start mixing in the car.

Last edited by RushCoil (Jan 21, 2010 2:32 am)

Los Angeles

Believe it or not, I listen to my final mixes and masters in my jeep for every single track lol not a joke

USK.. not me smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minikomi/3 … 210895803/

RushCoil wrote:
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

This is what everyone says, and is definitely true if you want a "flat" sound or are making a pro recording studio and especially if you are charging people, but here's a story to illustrate my experience with it.

My first monitors were NS-10M's (with an underpowered amp). They sounded like shit. After using them for a month, everything I did sounded spot on in the car. Then I got some Mackie HR24 MKI. Everything sounded TOO good, and after using them for a month, everything sounded spot on in the car. Then I sold it all and got some half-assed Mackie desktop speakers in a trade. After using them for a month, everything I do sounds spot on in the car.

Shit, maybe I just need to start mixing in the car.

Seems like everything will sound spot on in your car. tongue
But you have a point there. I know ppl who make excellent mixes on a pair of socks.
I actually love the NS-10's, but you do need a good amp to go with it.
One thing I'd say though, if you're setting up a bedroom studio or whatever in a non treated small room, think twice before getting a sub.

New York City
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

But you have a point there. I know ppl who make excellent mixes on a pair of socks.

/me goes buy a pair of mastering socks

Subwoofer is out of the question for me. As I said, I like flat sound.
I have learned for a bit to mix with a pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD25-II) but it's not the same, I want some speakers.

Milan, Italy
xero wrote:

is that a casio DG-20 MIDI Guitar i spy?
that thing always reminds me of "boom king"
by flight of the conchords now. lulz...

ahahahah that video.

..btw it's not a DG-20.
It's just a cheap DG-10. (basically a dg-20 without the midi out/in)

I bought it on ebay.es for 45€.
It really sucks. It's totally un-usable. lol.

PDX
akira^8GB wrote:

Subwoofer is out of the question for me. As I said, I like flat sound.
I have learned for a bit to mix with a pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD25-II) but it's not the same, I want some speakers.

::bows:: if you can mix on headphones and come up with a mix that translates well.... I have some Grado's but mixes are unpredictable...

I am about to try this thing: http://refinedaudiometrics.com/products-hdphx.shtml

Last edited by RushCoil (Jan 21, 2010 2:46 pm)

New York City

The HD25-1 IIs are very cool, unlike other "dj favoured" headphones, they don't exaggerate stuff and they bring a lot of detail to your attention. I remember putting them on and going through my old stuff and finding sounds I never heard before. Suffice to say, I did a lot of track fixing since then smile

If I make good mixes, it's for someone else to judge. Feel free to check out my releases big_smile

That plugin sounds interesting!! Thanks for the link.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 21, 2010 3:25 pm)

@Akira: Plus they play LOUD!
I have a pair when tracking drums. Drummers tends to like them.