sweden
Note! wrote:

Yeah, this has pretty much been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. Ah, the thought of being able to copy fully between songs...

Matthew Joseph Payne

Just for reference, I just did this manually. It was obnoxious and time consuming and has side effects. If these had been anything short of raw, thinly constructed ideas, this would have been all but impossible.

First I deep cloned all the chains in one of my ideas until the numbers were well out of the range of anything in the second idea.

Then I did the same for all the instruments, which was a real hassle.

Then I started pasting everything in - the song sequence was easy, but then each chain and pattern had to be pasted manually. In retrospect I would have done instruments first, because any phrase with samples needed its instrument in place in order to paste correctly.

Luckily they were raw enough that I had hardly used tables, grooves, synths etc yet or it would have been a fucking nightmare, and therein lies the difficulty in coding a piece of software to do the job, of course.

As an unfortunate side effect, LSDJ doesn't seem to recognize that many of the pasted in phrases are actually full, and brings them up happily when I select-A-A to get a new phrase, so you have to be careful.

All in all, it probably took only slightly less time than actually just rebuilding the goddamn song by hand, looking at it on a second gameboy.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

When I was trying to do "dat chip danze" I wrote all my songs in one songfile.

Meant I could skip to songs/sections/parts easily. The set was around 45 mins by the end of it.

Chicago IL

quick, someone write a script that compiles .lsdsong to MML, and then someone else write a script that compiles MML to .lsdsong

Matthew Joseph Payne

genius

Hoxton, London UK

Well, mainly in response to that yahoo group:
What I used to do live, and i'm sure many of you do the same, is to duplicate an lsdj cart and sync them.
So when writing a song I structure it with live mode in mind, i.e. seperated percussion and melody intros; a main 'body' and end it all with separated melody and percussion outros.
so a song transition would involve
1)reaching the outro of song 1
2)cancelling melody in song 1, but let percussion carry on
3)simultaneously start the melody of song 2, let that loop
4)cancel the percussion of song 1
5)and start the percussion of song 2
6) load up song 3 while song 2's body is playing & repeat.

*if i knew a song was in the same key, sometimes i'd do it with the bass too.

Last edited by Shriker (Mar 3, 2011 9:42 am)

lolusa
Bit Shifter wrote:

Great idea on paper, but the tricky parts are things like -- what happens when one or more of Song A's chain or phrase numbers are already being used in Song B; what happens when Song A's instruments don't match Song B's instruments, etc. etc.

Or maybe a single song takes up all of the chains and phrases.

The only alternative I use is saving the song again and then just start writing with the newly saved file.
Very handy when you spent an hour or so making a single wav instrument.

I had some vague ideas a while ago making a pc application that could do something similar. Also being able to save instruments separately etc. Never found the time to get around doing it though. I think I came as far as mapping up how the .sav file is laid out.

Bit Shifter wrote:

Great idea on paper, but the tricky parts are things like -- what happens when one or more of Song A's chain or phrase numbers are already being used in Song B; what happens when Song A's instruments don't match Song B's instruments, etc. etc.

I pictured it as a separate application that would re-map phrases, chains, instruments, etc so that stuff didn't overlap. If memory wasn't enough for both songs you would just get an error message when trying to merge. It wouldn't be too hard to accomplish. The application could even be able to check if an instrument in Song A is has the exact same settings as one in Song B and map all usages of it to the first one in order to save memory. You'd loose the instrument name though.

Unsubscribe

I wish copy paste worked across the link port, and songs too!

I asked Johan for that on the mail list some years ago. Didn't win any interest unfortunately.

Saskrotch wrote:

quick, someone write a script that compiles .lsdsong to MML, and then someone else write a script that compiles MML to .lsdsong

This!!! ^.^

california
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

I had some vague ideas a while ago making a pc application that could do something similar. Also being able to save instruments separately etc. Never found the time to get around doing it though. I think I came as far as mapping up how the .sav file is laid out.

I'd like to start working on this in my spare time. Can you share some of your knowledge about the sav format? That's the only thing slowing me down. No documentation for it. I actually have found some c code that parses the sav file, but I'd like to know as much as possible.

It seems goatslacker has started a project for converting from the lsdj sav file to xml. http://code.google.com/p/lsdj2xml/. I haven't compiled it yet, but it looks legit. Pretty handy. Apparently his idea was to make a program that would open a sav file, extract a song from it, and allow the user to save individual instrument files. Something like that.

It would be great to have a program that would extract an instrument from a song, and upload it to a big database.

Sweeeeeeden

No dorumentation? Not true!

http://wiki.littlesounddj.com/SavStructure
http://wiki.littlesounddj.com/FileManagementStructure

The limitation on total number of Tables per song would really need to be upped for it to be of use to me.

And what happens if you have the same parameters in both songs (i.e. - same instrument/table/noise pattern in both songs)? Wouldn't the paste function need to be intelligent to match variables so that you don't clone just to double on the same data?

(skimmed thread)

california

Thanks! Did not know about that.

california
an0va wrote:

And what happens if you have the same parameters in both songs (i.e. - same instrument/table/noise pattern in both songs)? Wouldn't the paste function need to be intelligent to match variables so that you don't clone just to double on the same data?

That would be nice, for the program to 'optimize' the output song. There would of course have to be a focus on saving space. Even if it didn't do that though, it wouldn't be  too much of an inconvenience to do that yourself before running the program.

tRasH cAn maN wrote:

The application could even be able to check if an instrument in Song A is has the exact same settings as one in Song B and map all usages of it to the first one in order to save memory. You'd loose the instrument name though.

That is an issue. I suppose the program could ask you to rename it or something though.

"Instrument PBASS and instrument AAA are the same. What do you want to name the combined instrument?"