Auckland, New Zealand

Just wondering how everyone who uses LSDj learnt how to use it? Did you just read the manual? Just go for it? Trial and error? Someone taught you? Crappy YouTube tutorial?

Just curious smile

United Kingdom

-Read the manual constantly for help
-Experimenting with LSDJ
-Loads and loads of practise.
-Sabrepulse tutorial.

Luckily I also had the privilege to get a bit of help from the Scottish 8bit bros. Sycamore Drive let me check out his .sav file which helped me to understand grooves more as well as trying to get as much out of the channels in LSDJ possible.

Check out here:

http://lsdsng.com/

For LSDJ song data, you'll be able to compile .lsdsng files into a .sav file so you can see how songs can be made/written on LSDJ.

Any more questions feel free dude.

Cambridge, MA

Does anyone remember the video of a workshop someone did that highlighted a bunch of clever tricks to use in LSDJ? I think it was by Animal Style.

Edit: Oh wow, that LSDJGuides channel is pretty nifty. Would've been nice to have when I started out. wink

Last edited by BetaSynapse (Mar 10, 2011 11:36 am)

Whitley Bay, England

I read through SabrePulse's tutorial, and that was kinda it for a while.
Then a local guy called Spoonbender hosted a workshop thing, which I attended. I was the only one with previous knowledge of LSDJ, and so he taught me about tables and effects and shit. After that, just experimentation and stuff, seeing tips on forums. The patchbook (RIP) helped loads too.

England

nullsleep tutorial:

http://www.nullsleep.com/treasure/lsdj_tutorial/

starpause tutorial:

http://mp3death.us/tute/

and the manual.

Last edited by Jellica (Mar 10, 2011 11:56 am)

Brazil

Magic powers

Philly, PA, USA
BetaSynapse wrote:

Does anyone remember the video of a workshop someone did that highlighted a bunch of clever tricks to use in LSDJ? I think it was by Animal Style.

http://www.vimeo.com/13240905
i was gonna post this anyway

Massachusetts, USA

Looked at the little-scale songs that were loaded on it to see how to do some cool stuff.  There used to be a website that had a bunch of different instruments with sound samples and detailed instructions, but I think it went down.  I just messed around for a while, and continue to do so.
-sam

Brazil
sammulligan wrote:

Looked at the little-scale songs that were loaded on it to see how to do some cool stuff.  There used to be a website that had a bunch of different instruments with sound samples and detailed instructions, but I think it went down.  I just messed around for a while, and continue to do so.
-sam

I got just one little-scale lsdj sav and I learned all I know of LSDJ.

lolusa

Just applied everything I learned from famitracker, jw86 left some savs on the cart he sent me, and I just powered the rest.
Pussies.

IL, US

i just sorted it out on my own, eventually
wasnt very intuitive for me at all, unlike nanoloop

West Yorks, UK
e.s.c. wrote:

i just sorted it out on my own, eventually

same here.

my learning lsdj involved reading the manual, trying it out, nothing working, me downloading lgpt and applying the lsdj manual to the pig, successfully learning the pig, then applying whats relevant back to lsdj.

i tried for 2 years to get into lsdj wit no luck. in the end LGPT saved me from a life of only nanolooping!

plus lgpt is sicker anyway so yeah. buy a gp2x!

Brazil
Domu wrote:

lgpt is sicker anyway so yeah. buy a gp2x!

Or a Dingoo, or even a PSP, whatever the plataform, piggy still rules.

New York City
e.s.c. wrote:

Nanoloop is the most unintuitive music tool ever. LSDJ uses a standard music making interface (tracker interface).
I used trackers for years so LSDJ was cake. I only had to learn how to use the GB's synthesis. That was done reading the manual then trial'n'error'ing.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Experimentation, experimentation and experimentation. 
Every new song I made I utilized a different command in the majority of the song to get them down.
I also messed around with tables a ton to get a grasp of the different unique sounds I could use.
In my opinion experimentation is the only way to go.  I'm glad the LSDJ patchbook that I tried to access so many freaking times was/is down since I definitely would have less of an understanding of the program. 

PS:  +1 internets to Chip*Zombie...kickin' rad thread topic.

Cambridge, MA

I actually miss the patch book because I would see a clever way to get a sound, then mutate and apply that technique to everything else to create totally new sounds. But yeah, LSDJ is a lot of experimentation really.