Matthew Joseph Payne
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

uhhh yeah, there are very few circumstances in which buying things will make you better at music

kineticturtle wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

uhhh yeah, there are very few circumstances in which buying things will make you better at music

Liverpool, UK
4mat wrote:

I see your hat, and raise you....

Last edited by calmdownkidder (Mar 11, 2011 10:07 am)

Brazil
TraceKaiser wrote:

Thanks Subway big_smile
I love it, but obviously there are times when it just doesn't live up to what I need. Maybe if I bought some actual compressors and gates and shit instead of just using software ones for decent recording then I could get it to sound nice. But... Meh, haha.

The pressure's on ._.

Dude, your music is nice enough and to me it sounds nice either way. Don't worry that much with this stuff for a while and concentrate on the music itself.

Also:

PULSELOOPER wrote:

If you guys have problems to get your music to the people, imagine here in South America.

This. The thing here gets awful a lot.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Mar 11, 2011 12:36 pm)

Whitley Bay, England
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:
ant1 wrote:

no

I meant that instead of using software and its built in effects to record, if I actually had some hardware then I could make similar quality recordings on my tape recorder.
Nothing about my music, haha.

Cambridge, MA
calmdownkidder wrote:

I see your hat, and raise you....

Dam you I still want one of those. sad REPRINT!!! REPRINT!!!

ONTOPIC: There really isn't anything wrong with using software to get your effects in the final recording. Unless it's a major effect that you want to be using live, don't worry about it just now. I personally prefer hardware just because HEY IT'S RIGHT THERE, but it doesn't actually make that much of a difference for recording. Plus, if you really wanted to, you could do some amazing (and by amazing I mean OH GOD NO.) setup where you run in to computer effects and then out to tape recorder. wink

Sydney

easy, get a fake ID

Ontario, Canada

Forget about hardware effects, drop $100 or so on a decent condensor mic, it'll be the best recording purchase you ever made, then just record into some free software, Reaper or something.

Whitley Bay, England

I'm using GarageBand currently, seems pretty nice.

Ontario, Canada

Yeah, which software you use isn't too big of a deal, as long as it isn't Audacity or something, the mic is what's going to make the biggest difference

Whitley Bay, England

If only I had some money... haha

Baltimore, MD

For live venues, change your name to "FREE BEER."

Cambridge, MA
J. Arthur Keenes wrote:

Forget about hardware effects, drop $100 or so on a decent condensor mic, it'll be the best recording purchase you ever made, then just record into some free software, Reaper or something.

THIS THIS THIS all the way.

Baltimore, MD

Adding to the mic post, on the dynamic side, you can't go wrong with a Shure SM58. It's a great workhorse.

Whitley Bay, England

I think my school has a couple of them. Once we get the sole Mac at school up and running for recording in the studio.. tongue

Connecticut USA

Make lots and lots of music. Appreciate your audience. Make lots of friends. Make friends with the people who listen to your music.

Edit: Go about this process like you're going to die tommorow. Think of the whole process on the simplest level. Not for fame, just for the experience. Ok i'm being dramatic now.

Last edited by MisfitChris (Mar 16, 2011 4:48 am)