Taichung, Taiwan

Had a few questions about the Super Gameboy Pro Sound Mod. I know how to do it, but are the benefits the same as doing it on a Gameboy?

~Will hooking up a line to it, say from headphones, cut sound from the system and send them straight to the audio jack when its plugged in?

I busted out my SNES, Super Gameboy and LSDj cart to see how it sounds like UNMODDED. There is hum but not as bad as from the Gameboy.

Would you use this mainly if you were using the SNES/SGB/LSDj all for performances instead of using a Gameboy by itself???

Boulder, CO

The only reason you'd probably want the mod is if you don't want to kill your eyes and want to record from an SNES rather than a GameBoy.

Plugging a line into the line out mod will not cut the audio coming from the system when it's plugged in.

Why would you bring around an SNES, its power brick, Super GameBoy, some sort of monitor, and LSDJ just for performances when a GameBoy does the same exact thing and is super portable?

edit: comma

Last edited by AdamGetsAwesome (Mar 31, 2011 2:17 pm)

Unsubscribe

it WOULD kick ass if you want to , say, teach a workshop on lsdj.

Or want a studio recording setup perman ready to go whenever inspirations struck... add a adruinoboy!

Taichung, Taiwan
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

The only reason you'd probably want the mod is if you don't want to kill your eyes and want to record from an SNES rather than a GameBoy.

Plugging a line into the line out mod will not cut the audio coming from the system when it's plugged in.

Why would you bring around an SNES, its power brick, Super GameBoy, some sort of monitor, and LSDJ just for performances when a GameBoy does the same exact thing and is super portable?

edit: comma

Wanted to know what the benefits of the Prosound Mod on the Super Gameboy were.

I picked up the Super Gameboy so I wouldn't have to kill my eyes when I was producing. The gameboy is good for on the go and performances but needed something that I could relax and produce with LSDj without resorting to Emulator and ROM on the laptop.

Boulder, CO

Same benefits as the GameBoy line-out mod. Cleaner output.

San Francisco

as i understand, the benefits are that there is a deeper low end and it records clean. the only draw back is that the clocking speed is a little faster than an actual gameboy. this causes the pitch to be slightly higher then normal. its not a big deal but if you intend to mix it with an actual gameboy you will be out of tune. the super gameboy it self is actually basically a gameboy built into a cartridge. the insides of the thing are pretty much just a normal gameboy but with the controls and visuals processed through by the snes engine rather than then in the cartridge. I would hypothesize because these components are taken out you may have a cleaner recording then using a prosounded dmg even, if you are using the moded sgb.

sweden
wedanced wrote:

as i understand, the benefits are that there is a deeper low end and it records clean. the only draw back is that the clocking speed is a little faster than an actual gameboy. this causes the pitch to be slightly higher then normal. its not a big deal but if you intend to mix it with an actual gameboy you will be out of tune. the super gameboy it self is actually basically a gameboy built into a cartridge. the insides of the thing are pretty much just a normal gameboy but with the controls and visuals processed through by the snes engine rather than then in the cartridge. I would hypothesize because these components are taken out you may have a cleaner recording then using a prosounded dmg even, if you are using the moded sgb.

lsdj changelog wrote:

2004-06-06: v3.1.6 (special swedish national day sucks-release)

* adjusted pitch table for use with super game boy (no longer detuned)
* bugfix: visual problems with file load/save progress indicators (thx to dave steinberg)
* bugfix: key delay settings not working on B+DOWN / B+UP in song screen (thx to starpaws)
* bugfix: visual bug when going from instr $40 to $3F in instr screen (thx to djntd)
* renamed "patterns" back to "phrases" again because i never got used to calling it pattern

rochester, ny

another benefit of the SGB, it's faster than a regular gameboy so you can do more complex tables and effects 'n shit.

San Francisco
nickmaynard wrote:

another benefit of the SGB, it's faster than a regular gameboy so you can do more complex tables and effects 'n shit.

i am not sure of that but i cant tell you otherwise.
also
fucking good call with the lsdj log. that is a nifty feature to have. if you do this mod besure to put up some recordins.

Yeah but the bass is very low on the SGB - for recording is a prosounded DMG the best decision.

Milwaukee, WI
herr_prof wrote:

Or want a studio recording setup perman ready to go whenever inspirations struck... add a arduinoboy!

This.  I keep a prosounded SGB in my studio and just pop out the cartridge and into my boy when I want to go somewhere or do something live.  I've been thinking of of adding an arduinoboy or pitch mod as well but I'm not sure.  Maybe a super slim combined SGB and SNES Jr. would be fun... big_smile