jeff: I was going to mention that comparing "fakebit" to "nigger" was rather overdramatic.

Cambridge UK

Speaking strictly from a linguistics stand point here, jefftheworld.
No matter why a term is considered pejorative, it still is pejorative.

The Bronx
George wrote:

See, "nigger" used to be neutral, but is now widely considered pejorative.

Show me one person who's considered it neutral and I'll call them a bigot, or, I guess, a remarkably misinformed Canadian.

You're putting a too much reliance on the internet to justify an argument that's not only nonsensical, but so hyperbolic that it's become irrelevant. Fucking hell.

Mark Twain wink

But he's right, there's no point to this. The term fakebit refers to that, that's a fact. Over, and done.

The Bronx
Frostbyte wrote:

Mark Twain wink

But he's right, there's no point to this. The term fakebit refers to that, that's a fact. Over, and done.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I shit on, in and around "fakebit".

Mark Twain used the term in his works as a neutral term. Whatever though, let's move on haha. This whole discussion is pointless.

lolusa

Finally, a How-To thread turned into this.
Here's the last step they all forgot to mention: Don't worry about us on the forums. It's moments like this that make me forget why I started writing music in the first place. You don't even need to listen to all of these artists, soundchips or even educate yourself in this scene. No one owns this scene (as much as they think they do), and just write some music.
You'll trip and fall, you'll stumble around poor hardware choices, but it really doesn't matter. You'll only learn from mistakes, and if they actually are mistakes, there will still be no harm done.

So remove 3 of these pages and keep it diplomatic people.

Last edited by ovenrake (Apr 11, 2011 3:05 am)

Dorset, UK

Uh... thanks arlen & ovenrake, that's what I was after hmm I was actually recommended to this site by a chipmusician (is that even a word?) that I listen to on her facebook page. I have no idea how this escalated into a debate about the meaning of the word 'fakebit', but whatever tongue

A gray world of dread

The discussion is a repeat of this thread, and running a very similar course- I don't think there'll be any kind of agreement in foreseeable future. It's one of those pet discussions that pop up every now and then along with 'what is 8-bit', 'is chipmusic a genre' and 'ducks', so don't worry about it. smile

Milwaukee, WI

I think for the benefit of willis316 the helpful information in this thread should be consolidated and the garbage taken out.  There really is some good advice here.

On-topic:

Sunvox and Psycle are both very nice, little-used options for creating whatever kind of digital music you want, if you find that you can work with modular synth trackers. Pyscle was what really opened my eyes to how much better trackers work with the way I think about music, and Sunvox really opened my eyes to the finer details of sound design/synthesis.

Hardware is fine and dandy, but fairly unimportant in the long run. You don't ever have to buy a single thing besides a computer and a nice pair of headphones to make music.

Last edited by PlainFlavored (Apr 11, 2011 11:05 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

https://8bc.org/music/Derris-Kharlan/My+First+LSDJ/

While rather facetious, this did serve to show how hypocritical the scene is in a sense. (In regards to fakebit conversation)

(Just read some of the earlier comments before I told them it was made in FL)

Last edited by Derris-Kharlan (Apr 11, 2011 11:15 pm)

The Bronx

This thread as a moving picture.

Brazil

Way to go 8bc... wait, i mean...

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I can't stop staring at Mickey's boner.......what the hell?

lolusa

"How come every time us chip-purists try to have a good time, these fakebits show up and ruin it for everyone?!"