aphasia wrote:

Joule:

Didn't you actually say that you wanted no likes system when the music uploading was mentioned?

I don't. I see two options for making a site interesting enough for me (i e finding music i want to listen to), and that is 1) likes, 2) gated quality control. I was hoping there might be a third option.

Kiel, Germany

One more upside to chipmusic: this thread would have gotten at least a "suck a dick" by some person by now if it were in 8bc big_smile

uhajdafdfdfa

A 'subscribe to bookmarks' type feature would help find good music, maybe... so if, e.g, Joule finds 5 people who he thinks have good taste, he can subscribe to their bookmarks, and in some 'recommendation' section somewhere will be a list of the songs those people bookmarked. Failing that, even being able to see what someone bookmarked/liked on their profile would help find good music, I think. μB had some pretty good ideas in another thread about this.

Essentially I think joule wants more focus on community members helping each other find interesting tracks so that not everyone has to listen to everything to find new good music (am I right, joule?). I agree, but I'll wait for this to get finished and see what happens, before bugging Trash80 for new features etc.

smile

PDX
joule wrote:
aphasia wrote:

Joule:

Didn't you actually say that you wanted no likes system when the music uploading was mentioned?

I don't. I see two options for making a site interesting enough for me (i e finding music i want to listen to), and that is 1) likes, 2) gated quality control. I was hoping there might be a third option.

Kind of wondering what an example of gated quality control would be - like staff pics? OCRemix?

Last edited by RushCoil (Jan 23, 2010 6:36 pm)

DE TRT
e.s.c. wrote:
Pompei wrote:

I kind of agree with Joule.

&I think the music section should be on the front page. That's what most people go to anyways, and what everyone's been anticipating.

i dont know, i like it this way, makes it feel like its more about community & the forums than uploading 4000 tracks a week

True.
Though I think it should be about the music, not the community.
The site is chip music after all, not chip community.

Just my opinion. No attacks pl0x.

Anaheim, California

I like the idea of subscribing to bookmarks, because back on 8bc I would go through an artists likes who I enjoyed and would find some very cool music I might not have found otherwise.  If there was a way to see what people have bookmarked, I think it would help finding nice tracks a little easier.

Yes i also like the idea of bookmarks subscription. Or something similar.

I interpret bookmarks just as "i want to remember this for later". Also it would still require people to browse around here trying to find music - the bookmarks needs to be created at some point.

uhajdafdfdfa
joule wrote:

Yes i also like the idea of bookmarks subscription. Or something similar.

I interpret bookmarks just as "i want to remember this for later". Also it would still require people to browse around here trying to find music - the bookmarks needs to be created at some point.

As do likes, and a quality filter system would require every upload to be listened to as well. It's just another way to share tastes between everyone - like having a load of clones of yourself (assuming you find people with similar enough taste) to help you listen to it all. smile

The worst case is that everyone comes here, listens to every single song in a search for something they like, and keeps that to themselves (so the upload section is nothing more than a big list of songs), but hopefully when this upload section is finished it won't turn out like that at all.

I'm interested in thumbs, maybe they will provide a good way to find good music. smile

Newcastle, UK
joule wrote:
aphasia wrote:

Joule:

Who gets to decide what's good enough to make it to the site then?
Maybe you can be in charge of that?

Originally the idea of the whole 8bit mediasharing community website was so that you could get constructive criticism from like-minded peers, not just to promote your own music. I know for a fact if I asked my friends what they thought of my songs, they would tell me it was good for fear of hurting my feelings, but on the likes of chipmusic and 8bc, it's encouraged to say what parts of the track you like, what could be better and what you think is missing, thus making the author's song better.
And that's my favourite part.

Earthling

I like the bookmarking idea. Looking at the 'bookmarks' or 'likes' of other users on other sites has been a good way for me discover new chip music in the past, and I think it will work very well here too.

Also regarding being able to decide which music to listen to, possibly a little sub-heading underneath the track title describing the track/what it was made with or even just displaying the tags in smaller text underneath would attract more listeners to specific tracks?

Well it's something to ponder anyway. I like the way the site's going and I know the devs will make a great job of it

Los Angeles

I agree that the popup is awkward. It was against my better judgment to do it. The reason I ened up leaving it is so that you can quickly browse a list without having to go back.

Subscribing to someone else's bookmarks sounds like a good idea, but no one really uses the bookmarking feature.

As for comparing it to 8bc, we decided to not have a likes system BY REQUEST from the people here.
There will be thumbs, hence the option in the upload page.

And there will be a front page of some kind.

And there will be a way to find tracks that are of decent quality that is not based on how popular it is.

You have to understand this site launched a little over 2 weeks ago, the music section launched just a few days ago. Programming something RIGHT the first time takes time. So please be patient.

Most of the time spent on making the music section was working on a comfortable database structure that can scale, working on a lightweight framework that can scale, making member uploads a secure process, making files names nice and browser friendly, having a flash upload for the progress bar on uploads. So far everything that has been added has been more tailored for the artist and less for the general user and will continue to be so until the required features are out of the way.

))<>((
STereochan wrote:

One more upside to chipmusic: this thread would have gotten at least a "suck a dick" by some person by now if it were in 8bc big_smile

or some other sarcastic douchey-ness.

Chicago IL

i just cant believe you guys didnt take joule's needs and wants for a new forum into consideration while building it

JERKS

A gray world of dread
trash80 wrote:

Subscribing to someone else's bookmarks sounds like a good idea, but no one really uses the bookmarking feature.

I think if people are conscious that bookmarking will by proxy recommend tracks to other people, it'll get used more. Also, as you said, things just got started and with such few tracks the need to bookmark isn't there yet.

Pompei wrote:

Though I think it should be about the music, not the community.
The site is chip music after all, not chip community.

Just my opinion. No attacks pl0x.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. Without the community there'd be no music.

Chipmusic was about the community in the first place!!

The Bronx

I just want to point out that because of the amount of interest this thread has received, it has become satire.