We thought it was a good idea too, but sadly it only lasted around 5 or 6 rounds like this one but that was because the entire site was discontinued. What I had going at the time was a month long compo called "OVGMcon" Or, the "Original Video Game Music Contest.. Those themes were more detailed and specific. One of the last ones we even decided to make a fictional game sound track where each person would take a different type of level theme and fit it into the original story somehow.

Our coolest one was for a fictional game I came up with called "Sawtooth The Radical Beaver" LOL. That game's "story" was that basically you start out as the character Sawtooth the beaver who is a radical shredding keyboardist who lives in the forest with other animal friends you meet as the game progresses. (Which is kind of awesome considering there is a "sawtooth" type of synth sound.) Anyway, he is trying to start a band with other forest creatures in order to raise enough money to keep the home of himself and his animal friends safe from big wig developers who'd like to tear it down. So, you go through different levels gathering different band member friends to help you on your quest, as well as different artifacts to construct or improve your bands instruments and sound in the main game so that in the bonus rounds when you play concerts and stuff you raise more money to put towards getting your home saved and reserved as a national park before the developers get the permit to tear your home down LOL. We had a forest level, a cave level, even a saw mill factory for the last level and some others I can't quite remember (Maybe a bonus Jam session Level? LOL). But that was our last theme before we disbanded, and I was always sad I couldn't start it up again. It resulted in some of my best music because we had so much time to compose big_smile.

I even still have some of my songs from that compo:

This was for a futuristic racing game: https://8bc.org/music/Jredd/Darkened+Path/

This was for a highly detailed space ship mission where it crash lands on a planet and stuff happens: https://8bc.org/music/Jredd/Into+the+Unknown/

And this was for an RPG themed setting which had a super long story that I can't quite remember: https://8bc.org/music/Jredd/Moonlit+Myst/

As you can tell, this compo isn't chip...but it was video game inspired tongue

Sorry for the ridiculously long post...but it brought back old memories. big_smile

Rhode Island

Having the winner create the next theme is such a cool idea! If this is how it'll work we should all submit 1 theme to 8BitRex so when the winner is announced the next comp can go live immediately after.

smile

Dude, "Darkened Path" is BANGIN

Chepachet, Rhode Island
2PLAYER wrote:

Having the winner create the next theme is such a cool idea! If this is how it'll work we should all submit 1 theme to 8BitRex so when the winner is announced the next comp can go live immediately after.

Or I can come up with like...5 or so themes...list them...and the winner gets to pick.  Either way I'm happy to do.

Rhode Island

I'll have to PM you some of the ideas I've come up with either way

Same here, I got tons of them! Lol. And damn 2PLAYER....31 Stars...that's not even human. It's just going to be months and months of 2PLAYER's themes. Ha ha ha.

Chepachet, Rhode Island
Jredd wrote:

Same here, I got tons of them! Lol. And damn 2PLAYER....31 Stars...that's not even human. It's just going to be months and months of 2PLAYER's themes. Ha ha ha.

I'm not sure if that is sarcasm since I couldn't even begin to understand why one would not support 2PLAYER coming up with all the themes.
I mean...
Isn't that better than random?

...Random implies possibility of failure...

Moncton, Canada

I think we can get rid of the anonymous rule too. We're all good sports here. And besides you can see who it is anyways lmao.

Last edited by Kommisar (May 19, 2011 11:46 pm)

Rhode Island

Haha well I had better get thinking then :-P

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I think the anon thing should continue...I'll figure out some new rules or something.

Rhode Island

Unless there is a way to get the comments section removed it doesn't seem like it matters

I'm all for 8-Bit-Rex taking over. He was a close second in my mind. Good to see you guys continuing this.

Also, changed the title a bit so people don't get confused by two threads. I'll add a link to the new thread once it's made.

8-Bit-Rex wrote:
Jredd wrote:

I'm not sure if that is sarcasm since I couldn't even begin to understand why one would not support 2PLAYER coming up with all the themes.
I mean...
Isn't that better than random?

...Random implies possibility of failure...

It was a backhanded complement to 2players winning streak tongue. Implying that even though I liked the idea of the winner picking the theme, that 2Player is so good at this that I may not be able to have one of my themes picked for quite some time because he is a brilliant bastard smile. In other words, if we are going to use that method 2player better get ready to make some themes! Ha ha.Or there is the obvious solution of you know...me trying harder smile. I didn't mean it as an insult at all lol. In fact, I just thought of the idea  of winner picks theme so that if people want their ideas picked they have to work for it big_smile. But, whoever picks the theme I'm sure it'll be awesome considering all of us are intelligent imaginative people. After all, it takes some brains to make a good chiptune wink.

Rhode Island

Well said Jredd.

I sent 8-Bit 5 themes. I tried to make them as descriptive as your past ones. I find it a lot easier to write when you have a well written theme or description. I think the ones I sent along were pretty funny too.

Speaking of the bi-weekly, where is it this week?

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Beep http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/67626/#p67626