Brooklyn, NY
Party Time! Hexcellent! wrote:

Say, could the PC-->NES transfer work the other way, too (NES-->PC)? Being able to send and receive network data could be interesting...

Yep! The code is written but I haven't really used it yet. I have done some network stuff one way before for an NES twitter client -

OT:
Congratulations on Blip! / Faxie is way cool! smile

Last edited by Batsly Adams (Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm)

I have one question - is it possible to transfer games to the powerpak with your awesome work?
Coz on nesdev there is a nes to pc cable (with ftdi and a little application) to transfer roms to the powerpak and something like that - this would be very nice

and please update the wiki and stuff wink

Last edited by im-pulze (Apr 1, 2011 5:41 am)

im-pulze wrote:

I have one question - is it possible to transfer games to the powerpak with your awesome work?
Coz on nesdev there is a nes to pc cable (with ftdi and a little application) to transfer roms to the powerpak and something like that - this would be very nice

Should be possible.  I do plan to release the source for my app at some point, so that should provide all the necessary info about how to load stuff to the PowerPak. smile

thefox, batsly adams heart

Fargo

I'm totally into this, but I don't really know where to start.  I'm just getting into NES to add to my arsenal.  I'm no programmer and I am a pretty big newbie when it comes to arduino stuff.  From what I understand, this can be used for many things including accessing the NES chip, using a tracker, faster even than the much coveted MIDINES.  I don't mean to dumb down the thread, but is a plausible for a newbie like myself to learn this to create and record NES style music?  I really want to do it the legit way and use the NES chip.

BK

yep this will make it very easy- use midi equipment, send midi signals to it, you're good.

Brooklyn, NY

Krubbz:
I chose an Arduino for the simplicity of the platform. You won't need to know how to program to run any of this stuff - although the circuit assembly might take a little work. If you're using USB-MIDI you won't need to solder anything (just plug the wires into the Arduino). Is your current setup MIDI-based? I sent out boards for people to test last week so things are moving along.

Also updates:
Implemented VRC6 (for powerpak users) - Both square channels + sawtooth working perfectly
Channel remapping - MIDI channels can now be reassigned on the fly with a controller in P1. They can even overlap! So you can assign a single MIDI channel to multiple channels on the NES and they will play simultaneously. A detune / transpose option was added so you can create multi-channel leads if you are using this as a live instrument.

Video once I make a decent demo song.

Fargo

Given some instructions I'm pretty confident I can assemble the circuit.  I actually have been exclusively using LSDJ on a couple of pro sound modded gameboys up until now, but I really dig the NES sound. I haven't used MIDI with anything yet, but I really want to.  This looks like a great method.  I'm very interested in learning more about this.  Very very interested.  Very very very....you get the idea. smile

Milwaukee, WI

Awesome!  VRC6 is very exciting, it gives me hope for other expansions... wink  I've just ordered my USB-TTL cable so I'm excited to try this all out.

WHEOW! ORGASM! Expansionchips heart

Wow - you're so f* good!

Matthew Joseph Payne

I check the google code page like every day hoping the download is back up, and it never is! sad

I have such dreams for this! Someday I hope.

Last edited by kineticturtle (Jun 1, 2011 3:57 am)

Brooklyn, NY

Sorry dude - things have been super busy! All of the source was up there at first but the SVN wasn't working the way I was hoping it would and I ended up trashing it. I have some more stuff to post but I need to handle a bunch of things first!

Matthew Joseph Payne

Aww shucks, man! I had hoped to take synced NES visuals on tour in June. sad

Either way, I await with bated breath! Thank you for keeping it on your to-do list! smile

AAAAAAH!!!! Busy things are busy!

I'm so excited big_smile

Can't wait, dude!  My PowerPak has pretty much been dicking me over lately, not only in private while gaming but also during live shows.  Godspeed!

Fargo

How are things going?  Any new updates?