Madison, Alabama

We were discussing WAV kicks in the weekly challenge thread and everyone seemed to have a different method for creating their kickin' kicks, so I thought it might be nice to have a thread devoted to the topic, especially since I guess the LSDJ patch book is never coming back.

I was thinking it would be cool if people not only shared their kick patch, but some reasoning behind the programming that might be instructive to others.

I'll start.  This is a kick I've begun using recently:

The instrument is set to manual and I usually use it around C6 My reasoning for starting out with a slower P command was to give the initial attack more of a ”thud” to make it less like a hardcore kinda dance kick. Since the volume is low, you have to keep the channels all under 7 (my leads are usually like 50s or 60s) or the kick gets overwhelmed.  It's not a super aggressive kick, but it has some thump.

I'll try this one out later.

One thing you can do for lower-volume kicks is to lower the rest of your wav instruments down in the instrument panel to a volume 1 or 2, but leave the kick at 3. Then record the wav channel separately from the others and run a strong compressor to bring up the wav instruments to a decent level in relation to you kick drum. This way you can use mixing in you DAW to crank up your kick drum as high as you want in relation to the rest of the mix.

Riverside, CA

BD- --- I00 -00

ohio gozaimasu

Here's the kick I've been recently using:

Use C7 and manual play

Note the F command. This changes it between wave 10 & 11 to create that "snap" sound.

Take note that I'm no expert. This isn't quite loud, nor is it too noticeable. It's intended as a quick sounding, snappy kick.

For a preview, go here: http://chipmusic.org/cooshinator/music/endless-lsdj

hardcore, Australia

Wow. that's how manual works.
I should've read the manual

Wow... I only ever use pu1 for kicks. Gotta try this

Chicago IL

for the most part i just write a bass line and put A00 where i want my kicks
A00 is entire transpose column set to 24, and starts with a PE6, or around there. that's it.

hardcore, Australia

Also remember with your patches that groove setting is pretty important too.

East Kilbride, Scotland

I always have the groove in the wave channel running at 3/3 with all of the other columns at 6/6. It means you can still do kick/bass in the same channel, but you have more room between the kicks for more complex basslines.

San Francisco

I have always found sine and triangle based kicks to be the best sounding kicks in lsdj. I prefer to use them so that they dont flatten out on the top and bottom of the manual wave drawing screen. It makes a cleaner sound. beef it up if you like that overdriven effect tho.

The Silph Scope wrote:

BD- --- I00 -00

this is a good solution if you spend the time to do it right. samples are an underrated thing in lsdj. They are way better for just dropping brk samples in the middle of a songs.

Last edited by wedanced (Jun 25, 2011 7:09 pm)

London, Ontario

fuck yall
PU1
A2
50%
SWEEP - E3
sometimes i throw a K command at 8 in the table in faster songs

Chicago IL
Sycamore Drive wrote:

I always have the groove in the wave channel running at 3/3 with all of the other columns at 6/6. It means you can still do kick/bass in the same channel, but you have more room between the kicks for more complex basslines.

trying this immediately

Just remember to double up patterns on the 3/3 groove channel then!

http://brkbrkbrk.com/patch/patch.php?ty … &id=14

THIS!! :3

Rochester, NY

Wow, I could've used this thread yesterday before I started looking up kicks on my own...

So I always used to only use the noise channel to create the beat:

Envelope - A2
Length - 20
Shape - D2
Table: Create a table where the first four rows in the TSP column are as follows: FF FF FF F6

You can hear a this kick here in this old song: http://soundcloud.com/vetobendover/butterfree

but I've been thinking recently that that isn't gonna cut it anymore, so I stole two different kicks:

THE DANIMAL KICK (WAV) (with apologies to Danimal Cannon lol)

Instrument:
Play - Manual

Synth:
Wave - Square
START:
Volume - FF
Cutoff - FF
Phase - 00
VShift - 00
END:
Volume - 10
Cutoff - FF
Phase - 00
VShift - 00

Table:
0 00 24 PDA
1 00 24 -00
2 00 24 -00
3 00 24 -00
4 00 24 PE3
5 00 24 -00
6 00 24 -00
7 00 00 K00
8 00 00 -00

and a pulse kick I found and changed a little bit:

Instrument:
Envelope - X1
Wave - 25%

Table:
0 00 94 PC0
1 00 94 -00
2 00 94 -00
3 00 94 -00
4 00 94 -00
5 00 00 K00
6 00 00 -00

... pretty sure that  94 transposition doesn't really do anything.  You might have to change the position of the kill command and the speed of the pitch bend depending on your tempo, maybe.  And the pulse kick is VERY bright, especially compared to the Danimal kick.

You can hear both of those kicks here in the cover I finished today: http://soundcloud.com/chips-challenge/yyz-rush-cover

or you can just listen to the track I stole the Danimal kick from: http://danimalcannon.bandcamp.com/track/the-big-crunch

Sycamore Drive wrote:

Oh wow, duh... this is a great tip!  ... could've used it earlier today when I was trying to fit all of geddy lee's bass notes in between all of peart's kicks lol

Last edited by ChipsChallengeBand (Dec 30, 2011 6:30 am)