San Francisco :P
Frostbyte wrote:

I'll definetly check out Steve Reich haha...I didn't know Bit Shifter was a synesthete! Information Chase gives me lots of blues and grey's actually haha. And I guess we do see things the same way, with the lines and position of the notes. I've never seen circles though...that's cool. I see 2D as well.

I should try and draw how I see certain sounds. I love how i can't like, turn it off haha. No matter what it is, I just see it. I'd feel so empty without it, it's up there as one of my main senses haha. I recognize sounds by how I see them.

The worst thing ever is when people never leave you alone about it hahaha. Hey frostbyte, what does this look like? or this? why can't you describe it clearer? Can I try and draw what you see?

I appreciate it but it does get annoying after 5 million questions haha. Or someone's like "tell me all about it!" and then I explain and they call me crazy or say I'm lying haha.

I'd be totally down for a collab dude!

Bit Shifter isn't a synesthtete xD, these are artists that I find visually pleasing

☺☺☺
Monovfox wrote:

Bit Shifter (Lots of yellow)

i actually agree with this observation. in no way claiming to have or not have COLOURVISION5000, but Bit Shifter ALWAYS hits a "yellow" feel for me.

/me forgets what he was doing;crawls back under rock

Reading about clinical populations in college, it seems most people that have this are actually troubled by it rather than proud. They suffer from an over-stimulation of senses when in an area with large noise-like traffic, for example. Still, absolutely fascinating.

Emar wrote:
Monovfox wrote:

Bit Shifter (Lots of yellow)

i actually agree with this observation. in no way claiming to have or not have COLOURVISION5000, but Bit Shifter ALWAYS hits a "yellow" feel for me.

/me forgets what he was doing;crawls back under rock

that's color-association, congratulations, welcome to club synesthesia

hearing music as visual input = cool

looking at a painting and hearing voices = schizophrenia

Chicago IL

i dunno if this counts but opium tastes like purple to me, and ketamine tastes like cyan

also when ever i finish a track ALL I SEE IS GREEN SUP LOL

I'm both envious and glad I don't really have such an ability. Normal sensation is often a bit too much for me to handle. It would be awesome to have correspondences with every sound. It would be awful to not be able to turn it off if you went someplace rather cacophonous. I can barely take crowds as it is.

Here's a recent article on the subject:
http://www.gnxp.com/wp/2011/06/21/synae … savantism/

What I found particularly interesting in the comments was that one can replicate the effect of number-color synethesia, via training. Granted, it's a mental visualization process rather than an immediate sensory reaction, but the ability to use it to pull off feats of mental calculation are rather astounding. It would probably take more work than it's worth to create a similar system for color and sound.

an0va wrote:

Reading about clinical populations in college, it seems most people that have this are actually troubled by it rather than proud. They suffer from an over-stimulation of senses when in an area with large noise-like traffic, for example. Still, absolutely fascinating.

Oh man, I never get over-stimulated. Nothing looks more awesome than just a ton of varied noise and sounds, it's so cool man.

And Saskrotch, don't think that counts hahaha.

Gunrunner, numbers and stuff kind of do that for me. I see timelines different than anyone else I know. Specifically times of the day and years and months. They all have colours and textures and feels to me.

Frostbyte wrote:
an0va wrote:

Oh man, I never get over-stimulated. Nothing looks more awesome than just a ton of varied noise and sounds, it's so cool man.

And Saskrotch, don't think that counts hahaha.

Gunrunner, numbers and stuff kind of do that for me. I see timelines different than anyone else I know. Specifically times of the day and years and months. They all have colours and textures and feels to me.

I see them in different positions in space, it's pretty cool.

Like, in your head or in your "eyeball" vision?

in head, not eyeball vision

Yup, same thing then.

I am excited for the collab now big_smile

ad-hell-aide

Sup fellows!

Sweden

I think that there is a "Fruityloops syndrome" that is often mistaken for synaesthesia. Perceiving lines, colors and boxes along with sound and music could as well be a result from too much sequencing or playing guitar hero, IMO, just like a manic tetris player would obsessively try to mentally fit tetrominoes into every architectural crevice around (been there, done that sad). I wouldn't consider myself a synaesthete, but I definitely suffer from the fruityloops syndrome.

But I think that most people around me have made occasional synaesthetic-ish observations. There are "loud colors," "soft sound" etc. that don't really make sense from any logical standpoint (and you can go even further, thinking about "sharp" and "flat" tones, feeling "blue" -- there's really a whole lot of cultural baggage that comes with colors, sounds, emotions and shapes). Most people are also able to intuitively translate music into motion and moods into colors, maybe because of cultural training.

That seems like a very cool hypothesis. Also, I didn't know that tetris players did that thing with architecture ,though I do play the knight's tour, and whenever I see a group of tiles I will instinctively do my tile method (basically, I have two polyominoes that are equivalent to a knight's jump that I try to fit at many as possible into one shape, but with however many combinations needed to prove that a tour is possible)

colors are commonly used in classical music to describe... "colorful" music (basically, weird harmonies). sharp and flat, like A# Bb ETC.

Explain more what this fruity loops syndrome,  cause you might be a synesthete.(explain or draw out what you see, if you see anything at all)

Last edited by Monovfox (Jun 26, 2011 3:47 pm)