Abandoned on Fire

To be so apparently cool there's little to no info on this kit/thing.  Does anybody have hands on experience with it?

A video:

A pre-made example:

Last edited by egr (Jun 30, 2011 4:53 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

v2 is supposed to come out soon!

Boulder, CO

I played with the WTPA2 a few nights ago. version 2 just came out and has microSD support to store your recorded samples and stuff. Really cool stuff.

Brooklyn, NY

I built mine just last night!

I can't say enough great things about the kit - the silkscreen / layout / hardware is top notch. The new version of the board (WTPA2) has some new options (microSD-card storage / additional board to mount jacks / acrylic enclosures). I've seen both enclosure colors and they both positively glow when lit.

I'm waiting on some ribbon cable before I hook up the audio jacks - I'll post a demo when that's done.

Boulder, CO

Jesus, that was quick! I thought maybe we'd have a build party ='(.

Abandoned on Fire

I've been looking at the ordering options... did you source your own parts?  It's not clear what you get for the $85 basic kit.

Brooklyn, NY
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

Jesus, that was quick! I thought maybe we'd have a build party ='(.

I was in the zone! There is still your kit to do!

egr wrote:

I've been looking at the ordering options... did you source your own parts?  It's not clear what you get for the $85 basic kit.

The $85 kit came with all components except for clock switch/power/audio/midi jacks. Jack board kit contains all of those parts + a nice black PCB to mount them on. The sd-card daughterboard is also separate from the kit.

Personally I think getting the jack board is a no-brainer - they are nice components and it makes the hookup really neat. Same goes for the enclosure if you plan on having one - everything assembled together beautifully without having to force anything. The sd-card is up in the air depending on if you'll use storage - but it's priced so that you probably should get it just in case.

Check out this thread for info on the new stuff. Bounce around the forum a bit too - there is some great stuff on there.
http://www.narrat1ve.com/forum/comments … e=1#Item_0

Last edited by Batsly Adams (Jun 30, 2011 6:12 pm)

Boulder, CO

edit: redundant

Last edited by AdamGetsAwesome (Jun 30, 2011 6:39 pm)

Brooklyn, NY

Rewrote some software for the kit to play NES DPCM samples from an SD-card!

Dragged the first 128 files out of bucky's amazing sample pack and voila!

It's playing true 1-bit samples the same way the NES would (no cheating and converting to wave). I think it would make for an awesome drum brain if I threw MIDI in. I coded it so that that up to 4 samples can play simultaneously. The source was seriously well commented.

Last edited by Batsly Adams (Jul 19, 2011 3:27 pm)

Geneva, NY

For those of you who don't get it: this is like having 4 MIDINES dpcm channels PLUS the ability to load your own samples on SD.

Batsly Adams wrote:

Rewrote some software for the kit to play NES DPCM samples from an SD-card!

Dragged the first 128 files out of bucky's amazing sample pack and voila!

It's playing true 1-bit samples the same way the NES would (no cheating and converting to wave). I think it would make for an awesome drum brain if I threw MIDI in. I coded it so that that up to 4 samples can play simultaneously. The source was seriously well commented.

Crazy! I'd like to see more video of this.

Philly, PA, USA

batsly y u so smart

Brooklyn, NY

Crazy! I'd like to see more video of this.

RB drum kit run through a USB-midi converter to the WTPA2.

I fixed a bunch of bugs with the sample code, I had the DAC return to zero immediately after the sample was done playing which caused a nasty click/pop. Now it gracefully levels out any inactive channels.

San Francisco

so this is basically the most beast lofi hardware drumkit / sampler out there. that is my thoughts.

Sydney AUS

FFS!! WTPA kits are sold out, Shruthi-1 kits are sold out. I will do anything short of sucking cocks to buy a kit of either from someone.

Unsubscribe

No they arent.. check the forum...