New York City
infradead wrote:

the tags need to be search able in a search bar.

I rather have a tag cloud.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:
infradead wrote:

There is not enough data yet to justify that page.

infradead wrote:

I agree.

I also think it would be a good idea to show the tags of every track in the actual list. That will bring some way of relating to the record (8bc has its likes/views columns).

New York City
trash80 wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

There is not enough data yet to justify that page.

I didn't say "I WANT IT NAO!" smile

Skipping over this thread, it's interesting to me that you've expressed desire in another thread for an environment in which everyone can have a voice, upload music, and participate, and yet you bemoan the results of just that happening.

uhajdafdfdfa

The other thread was joule's reaction to peoples' reaction to this thread, rather than vice versa, if that makes sense... smile

Chicago IL

yeah why are you guys getting jerky on him just because he seems to expect this site to be tailor made to him? he needs a reason to want to be here instead of 8bc why are you guys so unaccommodating

DE TRT
Saskrotch wrote:

he needs a reason to want to be here instead of 8bc why are you guys so unaccommodating

Reason Joule should want to be here:
There are cooler people here than there are on 8bc.

Tacoma WA
joule wrote:
infradead wrote:

I agree.

I also think it would be a good idea to show the tags of every track in the actual list. That will bring some way of relating to the record (8bc has its likes/views columns).

they are search able in the search bar

enter chipbreak and you'll see saskrotch's song maybe more if more people have used that term

showing all the tags would look horrid. 
look at this guy

http://chipmusic.org/harleylikesmusic/m … 10-dubstep
and then look at this
http://chipmusic.org/forest+world/music … ii---nl-23

the first guys tags cover over pretty much the whole song.  the second guy has one.  it'd look horrible to have them next to each other.
if you say well show the first three tags, people will start complaining on how those first three aren't really what thier song is about or putting stupid memes in them. 

it will be refined but for right now it is what it is.

uhajdafdfdfa
infradead wrote:

if you say well show the first three tags, people will start complaining on how those first three aren't really what thier song is about or putting stupid memes in them

Random three? Most common three (which would probably bring up more "LSDJ" or "C64" than "wobblestep dubfunk", so is possibly slightly more useful, and would cut down on stupid memes)? tongue

Really, someone shouldn't be tagging the song with stuff that doesn't represent it properly anyway. smile

Last edited by ant1 (Jan 26, 2010 9:52 pm)

New York City
Saskrotch wrote:

yeah why are you guys getting jerky on him just because he seems to expect this site to be tailor made to him? he needs a reason to want to be here instead of 8bc why are you guys so unaccommodating

Saskrotch, stop trolling the dude, please.

Melbourne, Australia
akira^8GB wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

Saskrotch, stop trolling the dude, please.

I for one empathise with Saskrotch. It's just so hard not to when he takes the bait EVERY. DAMN. TIME!

tongue

Los Angeles

Ok look, about joule: his opinion is fine and I'm not trying to escalate the situation any further. I think he's just a little blunt and doesn't give enough detail *for me* to understand what he is looking for. I've been working on this site nonstop and am a bit grouchy.

So please if you have criticism, please back it up with a solution or some ideas, and be exact about your problem.

Anyways about tags: right now tags are broken in a way: when you click on a tag in a member's song page, it should take you to the list with "tag:some_tag" in the search box. But it doesn't work at the moment and I'm busy with other work to fix it right now.

In other words there are 3 special features about the search box:

1. it allows boolean operations.  aka search: gameboy -lsdj would give you all results without lsdj, search: sid +ableton ... would give you all results with sid and ableton.

2. type...  by:trash80 will give you all songs by me, by:akira^8gb would give you all of akira's songs.

3. type.... tag:lsdj will give you all items tagged with "lsdj"

... furthermore title name, author, tags, item description, album name, artist, etc are all indexed in the search.

Brazil
trash80 wrote:

Fron the Site Announcements Forum: Topic: Music uploads section
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/429/m … s-section/

trash80 wrote:

2. There are improvements and or features currently missing here is a few: RSS podcast, Music Responses, Thumbs, Member profile music list, "New comments on XYZ", home page redesign, and URL Links to files. These are planned and put into a category I call "Phase 2" ... Though if there are not too many bugs I might be able to get the podcast XML done today.

New comments notification is up now though.

:3 heart cool

New York City
celsius wrote:

I for one empathise with Saskrotch. It's just so hard not to when he takes the bait EVERY. DAMN. TIME!

I do not empathize with trolling.
I didn't say I was supporting anything joule said or did, r that i mentioned this in a "lay off the poor guy" way. Just that trolling should never be the answer, unless you are in eatshitcollective and want to be a kiddy retard. I also spoke after several instances of same unhelpful pointless reaction. It would suck to turn this thread into whatever user flaming thread.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 26, 2010 11:02 pm)

Chicago IL

sarcasm doesnt equal trolling, just saying