Brazil

Sorry guys, I just loled and doesn't give a damn anymore.

Abandoned on Fire
herr_prof wrote:

...Protrekkr...

I hadn't looked at the "grown up" version of Noisetrekker before.  It does seem to, in fact, be the shit.  I can't seem to get the linux version to work, had to install the Windows one, no biggie.

It's the self-contained-ness of trackers like this that I really really like.  Like ADT2 or Fami or other trackers that are a front-end to a specific synth engine.  Wordy words blah.

Last edited by egr (Jul 14, 2011 2:36 pm)

New York City

It reminds me of the good old Dreamstation:
http://www.audio-simulation.com/?page=product3

Did anyone ever use this one? It was cool.

liverpool - uk

Yeah I remember that! I downloaded it on my super slow 56k connection back in 99 or 2000.  I remember being amazed at the demos it came with.

Brazil

Oh, gotta try this dreamstation. Looks nice!
And protrekkr too.

Brunswick, GA USA

The only thing I can add to the four pages of flame that piled in is that in the one gig I did in the past few years (that wasn't just regular rock) I had an IT tune where I prepped a pattern with blank space and jammed a melody into muted tracks, then unmuted them, then used shift-F6 on the next order to move to the rest of the song. Musically, it worked well, but at the moment the audience were still a bit tense about what I was doing so it was not to good effect.

Answering the OP question, I think if I was starting now and learned about XM/MOD I would consider it a road that was already trodden, it is only a matter of time until the LSDJ community is viewed in the same way.

I don't mean that to be a naysayer, it's just how things happen sometimes.

vancouver, canada
chunter wrote:

Answering the OP question, I think if I was starting now and learned about XM/MOD I would consider it a road that was already trodden, it is only a matter of time until the LSDJ community is viewed in the same way.

in a few years history will repeat itself and LSDJ will be seen as awkward and passe to the up-and-coming quantum computing subatomic particle music scene

New York City
bryface wrote:

in a few years history will repeat itself and LSDJ will be seen as awkward and passe to the up-and-coming quantum computing subatomic particle music scene

I got first dibs on an Osaka deck.

Sweden
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

i will now condescendingly dismiss this discussion on a topic that i brought up

Play him off, keyboard cat

Last edited by boomlinde (Jul 14, 2011 7:26 pm)

Nomad's Land
bryface wrote:
chunter wrote:

2 of the finest statements ever made in the history of chip music.

Brazil
boomlinde wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

i will now condescendingly dismiss this discussion on a topic that i brought up

Play him off, keyboard cat

smile Like I said, Healthly Trolling. No heart feelings.

Milwaukee, WI

As for the live question, just write your xm's and rock em' in chipdisco!

[edit: can't be bothered]

Last edited by 4mat (Jul 14, 2011 11:50 pm)

Unsubscribe

Yea I would agree that the majority of any specific genre is lame with a few standout vanguards leading the way. I thought of something else I prefer about lsdj to just about every other music app in the world.

It is in a constant state of MUSIC READINESS. You can start it up, futz around for a few bars, put it down and pick it up later without worrying of saving or copying files or whatever. The sounds in the rom are all you have to work with, so it is much closer to working with a hardware synth or physical instrument than a daw or making "computer music".  I'm sure I could get something comparable working on something like musicline but I would still have to sit down at a workstation or prepare the music creation environment in a way that is often a hindrance to the creation of music itself. I love the moments where I have five minutes on the bus, or am sitting in a park bench, and something comes to me that is awesome.

In the hardcore tracker scene to me, that outside the visionary artists 4mat mentioned it is far too procedural and correct linearity when it comes to sound design and composition. "I am making this song in this genre in this key because it is CORRECT". Sometimes I just want to load a project and dick around. Of course mod files are themsevles a blank canvas, with the samples chosen for you, so im sure my feelings in this are some sort of cultural bias.

/me stops staring at his bellybutton

Madison, Alabama
herr_prof wrote:

It is in a constant state of MUSIC READINESS. You can start it up, futz around for a few bars, put it down and pick it up later without worrying of saving or copying files or whatever. The sounds in the rom are all you have to work with, so it is much closer to working with a hardware synth or physical instrument than a daw or making "computer music".

This is one of my favorite things about LSDJ.  I throw the Game Boy in my shoulder bag and turn it on when I get the chance.  Most of my music writing comes in short bursts anyway.

Plus, LSDJ runs off a thumb drive on a tiny, tiny window that no one notices when I'm at work.  big_smile

I do like a lot of MOD/XM stuff, and I'm (very) slowly learning MilkyTracker and Famitracker, but man, the ready-and-waiting quality of LSDJ just *begs* you to dick around with it.

Say: do you think part of it could be that (at least in the "chip" world) people are more up front about using LSDJ or Famitracker or whatever?  You know: "Teh Chip Rockz (LSDJ X4)"  Sometimes I hear a great track on 8bc with no explanation of what made it.  Then you ask and they say, "Oh, I used _____ tracker."  I honestly have no idea what a lot of non-LSDJ/Famitracker people use.  They could be using 7 year old pirated copies of Fruity Loops for all I know.

Brazil

But something to tell is that Canoo is running amiga. These chinese handhelds are the future today. I heard of Milkytracker running with some smartphones, or am I tripping?

Also, if those nes roms from Neil Baldwin worked with those handheld emulator would be so fucking easy to make NES music.

The handheld portability is that makes it so fun to make music - at least to me.