Madison, Alabama
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

But something to tell is that Canoo is running amiga. These chinese handhelds are the future today. I heard of Milkytracker running with some smartphones, or am I tripping?

Also, if those nes roms from Neil Baldwin worked with those handheld emulator would be so fucking easy to make NES music.

The handheld portability is that makes it so fun to make music - at least to me.

I've looked into those handhelds.  I'm thinking about it, but I haven't pulled the trigger.  As far as smarphones go...I'm too cheap to buy a data plan, haha.

I want to expand on what I said previously, though, because I have read complaints about people putting (LSDJ) at the end of their song titles.  I find that useful.  I get in moods where I want to hear a certain type of chip or music.  I can go to 8bc and search for songs that were made with certain chips or programs.  But there are tons and tons of things labeled "LSDJ" or "Famitracker" or "VR6" or whatever.  Last week I was on a c64 kick.  I searched 8bc and found some nice tracks.  Then I got interested in Atari ST stuff.  Less results.  How does someone coming from the Chip Community learn about XM/MOD stuff without people in the chip community touting that they used _____ tracker to make the tune?

For instance: just this week I downloaded Trash80's "Icarus" (I know, late to the party...).  I really like it.  Is it XM?  MOD?  A bunch of hardware synths playing midi stuff?  I don't know.  But I damn sure know Trey Frey used two linked copies of LSDJ to make "Recover".

San Francisco

Chip scene? dont you mean LSDJ scene?

Madison, Alabama
wedanced wrote:

Chip scene? dont you mean LSDJ scene?

Are you asking me?  I didn't use the term "Chip scene", so I'm confused by your comment.

Edit: I see.  You've changed "community" to scene, perhaps? 

To qualify, you can be part of the chip "scene", not use LSDJ, and still not know about MOD/XM stuff, right?  I see a lot of "My first chiptune posts" that are made with DAWs and VSTs.  And people do start out with Famitracker.  So it's perfectly conceivable that someone could be making "chip music" and not know much about XM or MOD stuff.  My point is that within this particular community MOD/XM trackers aren't touted as loudly as LSDJ, Famitracker, or even a lot of VSTs (I see more people touting Plogue Chipsounds, for instance, than Modplug or something.)  But you maybe you were being facetious.

The initial question was "why so few NEW..."   My point is that, simply, within the "Chip" world, as it currently stands, the virtues of MOD/XM are not sang from the rooftops, while other avenues of music creation are.

Crap.  Why did I let this inane thread suck me in?

Last edited by roboctopus (Jul 15, 2011 3:38 am)

Unsubscribe

Inane? I'm having a great time.

Unsubscribe

Also I'm really bummed out 4mat edited his post, lots of good points.

Brazil
herr_prof wrote:

Inane? I'm having a great time.

And Icarus afaik is ableton? I saw some videos years ago. Trash80 can tell us.

I know some people who uses DAWs and people love the music, but I'm not into discussing this again and is pretty useless.

And those chinese handhelds are good to use with LGPT. LSDJ on it is pretty awful. If you make a rom with your nes music it plays well too (2A03). Actually Genesis roms wil play well, I think. Gotta test it when I have time.

Maybe, but those kind of posts make me look like a douchebag. wink  So instead here are some links, lots of clever stuff to see happening if you check them out in a tool.  Certainly not "just a playback format".  (oh I'm doing it again)

Dune - the nonstop Ibiza experience
Dizzy - Alternative Samba
Carlos+Norfair - A kind of beauty
Bruno - Uralvolga fine
Substance - Phenomenon 2
Heatbeat - Jamming for nothin'
Dizzy - Johdattelupolska
Audiomonster - Melonmania
Groo - Oolah part 1
Dune - Kusi
A-Move - Rise

Last edited by 4mat (Jul 15, 2011 2:31 pm)

Sydney, NSW

In the long run, it really doesn't matter.

It's just music. I honestly couldn't care less if it was made with a C64 or a DMG.

it is all music

Unsubscribe

You say douchebag, i see dude with convictions big_smile

This thread inst IS GAMEBOY MUSIC BETTER THAN MOD MUSIC.. its more like WHY DO YOU AS A MUSICIAN CHOOSE THIS TOOL INSTEAD OF THE OTHER which i find fascinating.

4mat wrote:

Maybe, but those kind of posts make me look like a douchebag. wink  So instead here are some links, lots of clever stuff to see happening if you check them out in a tool.  Certainly not "just a playback format".  (oh I'm doing it again)

Bruno - Uralvolga fine
Substance - Phenomenon 2
Heatbeat - Bicykl0pedia
Dizzy - Johdattelupolska
Groo - Oolah part 1
Dune - Kusi
A-Move - Rise

wait...you're NOT a douche bag? Man, I don't think we can continue to be friends anymore. Sorry.

Madison, Alabama
4mat wrote:

Bruno - Uralvolga fine
Substance - Phenomenon 2
Heatbeat - Bicykl0pedia
Dizzy - Johdattelupolska
Groo - Oolah part 1
Dune - Kusi
A-Move - Rise

Thanks for this.  A-Move - Rise was fantastic. 

I can't listen to the others right now--no way to open .gz files at work, but I'll check them out later.

Abandoned on Fire

Not exactly relevant but since a few people have mentioned interface and portability as issues (and I mostly agree) --

Protracker on PSP with this maybe?  Anybody tried it?

http://ttyman.free.fr/?p=16

São Paulo, Brazil
4mat wrote:

Bruno - Uralvolga fine
Substance - Phenomenon 2
Heatbeat - Jamming for nothin'
Dizzy - Johdattelupolska
Groo - Oolah part 1
Dune - Kusi
A-Move - Rise

A-Move is just marvelous. 78kb and BLACK MAGIC.

São Paulo, Brazil
herr_prof wrote:

This thread inst IS GAMEBOY MUSIC BETTER THAN MOD MUSIC.. its more like WHY DO YOU AS A MUSICIAN CHOOSE THIS TOOL INSTEAD OF THE OTHER which i find fascinating.

Me too. Ctrix and 4mat can talk about music writing all day long and I won't never have enough. "it is all music" is a sentence that pretty much ruins a music forum.

PULSELOOPER wrote:

Ctrix and 4mat can talk about music writing all day long and I won't never have enough. "it is all music" is a sentence that pretty much ruins a music forum.

They should do it more often, for the sake of the hopelessly n00by people like me.

New York City
egr wrote:

Not exactly relevant but since a few people have mentioned interface and portability as issues (and I mostly agree) --

Protracker on PSP with this maybe?  Anybody tried it?

http://ttyman.free.fr/?p=16

I was one of the first to try this as soon as the pre-public release got out for Caanoo
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4233/ … racker-23/

It runs really well. The PSP version does not, though. PSP is NOT fast enough for Amiga emulation.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 16, 2011 2:44 am)