montreal, qc

wow, i guess i'll revise my earlier stance and just go with "retro fetishism".

Last edited by ilkae (Jul 16, 2011 7:49 am)

montreal, qc

i'll just leave this here.

http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=%2Fm … p;fileinfo

Last edited by ilkae (Jul 16, 2011 8:20 am)

Adelaide, Australia

I love writing music using trackers and started out using MED on an Amiga and then FT2 on a PC, but for chipmusic I'd much rather muck around with something that can be written or played back on a real sound chip / real hardware rather than being sample based - for me that's where the real magic lies.

news just in: PCs and Macs don't have real hardware or soundchips.

Brazil

Actually if it's a pc from the 90's it has soundchips, am i right?

uhajdafdfdfa

even the current pcs have got soundchips but its either built into the motherboard or somewhere in your CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY X-FI
it is a little meaningless to talk about the chip when it is just streaming software synthesised+mixed samples (hello AHX also)... as meaningless as categorising chiptunes by the processor or the headphones the artist used or the internal cabling of his PC

sound-chip focus is a little silly in general when the whole machine is contributing to the thing... seems better to distinguish between the guy with the 1541 and a tracker in 320x240 resolution (or whatever!) and the guy using FL studio with a hardsid/midiboxsid than between the guy with FL studio and the hardsid and the guy with FL studio and the sid vst (possibly even the same one you control the hardsid with) - if you're going to draw a line anywhere

/me waits for midibox paula

fileformats also. why are there no new klystrack chiptuners?? why are there no new DELTA MUSIC 2 chiptuners? dunno really. i guess lsdj is just more fun
sorry to offtopic a little.

Abandoned on Fire

@thread in general --

All this debate is my excuse to finally get an amiga and see for myself.  Gotta sell some stuff...

Brazil

Gonna wait until Pulselooper tries to get rid of his amiga so I can grab from him. MWAHAHAHA

Just download Milkytracker/Fasttracker and use that or emulate with winUAE and use that.  Using a real amiga is such a pain (both in transferring and then software compatiblity and so on) I fail to see why someone would go that route from the start now.  There's nothing even vaguely complex in the sound hardware and you'd really be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Tokyo, Japan

Milkytracker then play live with CDDJ!

São Paulo, Brazil
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Gonna wait until Pulselooper tries to get rid of his amiga so I can grab from him. MWAHAHAHA

not gonna happen.

Abandoned on Fire
4mat wrote:

Just download Milkytracker/Fasttracker and use that or emulate with winUAE and use that.  Using a real amiga is such a pain (both in transferring and then software compatiblity and so on) I fail to see why someone would go that route from the start now.  There's nothing even vaguely complex in the sound hardware and you'd really be hard pressed to tell the difference.

But but but what about "scene cred" ?!  Surely the headaches are worth that?  LOL, I am not serious at all.

I just want to check out an amiga computer for a while.

Brazil
Lazerbeat wrote:

Milkytracker then play live with CDDJ!

This

PULSELOOPER wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

not gonna happen.

sad

GLICÉRIO POWER

Brunswick, GA USA

Has anyone taken on the corrolary of "how do we get more people into tracking?"

The people I know that are chronic ModPlug users do not advertise the fact [/subltehint]

chunter wrote:

renoise?

vancouver, canada
chunter wrote:

if people were made more aware of the 20+-year backcatalogue of mindblowing module tunes on a regular basis i think there would be more interest.  not just that, but being able to sift out the best of the best - being shown the work of tracking legends, demoparty multichannel compo winners and the like.

another thing i think would help is to encourage people to play the music in their intended tracker programs, or at least in players that show the note data during playback.  that was the original draw for me - music that had the note data in plain view so that you can mute stuff, or poke around in the song, to see how the artist achieved a particular result. 

when you listen to an mp3 version of such tunes, the appreciation for those details gets lost.