New York City

WTF no topics here? How's this one for starters?

You need help doing your first steps setting up a C64 or Amiga?
Post here some questions and I will try to the best of my patience to answer them.

Offer expires whenever I get sick of it tongue

Brooklyn, NY

Well, for starters, I could use some suggestions on C64 tracking software if you have any.

Melbourne, Australia

What a generous offer! And from one of my favourite artists no less.

I just bought one of these

Had any experience with a MIDIbox SID before? This is essentially a much easier kit to assemble and doesn't need a C64 power supply to drive it.

I'm interested in how one would create patches PC side. I know that you can upload patches to the 4 soundbanks (128 patches per bank). Is there an editor available for PC that I can tweak out parameters and get a soft preview before I upload the patches? Or is there a way to convert instument files from a c64 tracker to a Sysex file or something?

Sorry if this is outside the scope of your offer or knowledge.

New York City

Celsius, you put me in a tough position: I got to love you for your kind comment (don't lie man!) and to hate you for your new purchase smile

Kinda late so if this reply is shit I will answer properly tomorrow.

Fuckjazz: I would recommend you Ninjatracker, John Player and Sid Duzz It. SDI is a bit (quite a bit) on the hard, cryptic sie, but it is the most powerful editor I can think of. John is userfriendly and with good features. Ninjatracker is sort of compatible with Goattracker.

If you want a baby tracker to get started use Cybertracker, the graphical interface will help you understand better the workings of the SID chip, but it's very limited for real use.

Ths soudns retarded, but get a copy (digital or printed) of teh C64 user's manual. The section about sound will explain you how the SID chip works. you need thsi basic knowledge to know how to create your instruments, since you will have to know what hex values work in which nibble of the byte you are modifying.

Celsius, I haven't had any experience with MIDIBOX SID units, but you surely can;t do exactly what you do in a tarcker with it, at least not in the same way. A lot of the effects the C64 trackers make are based on software stuff, like multispeed (makes no sense in a machine like midibox) and wavetables, which I don't know how you would implement in one of those. Since you can access every parameter by MIDI you supposedly can do as much, but I never tried.
I am not sure but I think there must be a Reaktor patch going around to tweak your midibosx sid to your heart's content.
Anotehr idea is for you to use REaktor. The tarcker interface will help you do, maybe, wavetable-like effects. The way I am working now, I Would try to sample the sounds, really, so I Don't need realtime generation of the instruments.

Mayeb Mr. Spastic can post here with his experince, he's had a midibox sid for a while now and he programs it and runs it as slave to an akai sampler.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 8, 2010 3:46 am)

Brooklyn, NY
akira^8GB wrote:

Fuckjazz: I would recommend you Ninjatracker, John Player and Sid Duzz It. SDI is a bit (quite a bit) on the hard, cryptic sie, but it is the most powerful editor I can think of. John is userfriendly and with good features. Ninjatracker is sort of compatible with Goattracker.

If you want a baby tracker to get started use Cybertracker, the graphical interface will help you understand better the workings of the SID chip, but it's very limited for real use.

Thanks, Akira!

Boulder, CO
celsius wrote:

What a generous offer! And from one of my favourite artists no less.

I just bought one of these

Had any experience with a MIDIbox SID before? This is essentially a much easier kit to assemble and doesn't need a C64 power supply to drive it.

I'm interested in how one would create patches PC side. I know that you can upload patches to the 4 soundbanks (128 patches per bank). Is there an editor available for PC that I can tweak out parameters and get a soft preview before I upload the patches? Or is there a way to convert instument files from a c64 tracker to a Sysex file or something?

Sorry if this is outside the scope of your offer or knowledge.

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_ed.html check this out. I've been using it to edit patches on my midibox. It's not terrible.

Brisbane, Australia, Earth

Celsius my jealousy levels of you increased a million fold when i saw that tongue

New York City

Celsius, this thread inspired me to create something similar for a Midibox. Problem is, I have none xD
I will look into it, with the MIDI table of teh machine I should be able to create one. I'll keep you posted.

Melbourne, Australia
akira^8GB wrote:

Celsius, this thread inspired me to create something similar for a Midibox. Problem is, I have none xD
I will look into it, with the MIDI table of teh machine I should be able to create one. I'll keep you posted.

You are a saint! Please don't go to all that trouble though, it could be quite a project (given all the parameters!)

AdamGetsAwesome sent me this on IRC. Maybe wait until I the SammichSID ships to me and I'll see if it'll do the trick before I waste your time?

You're a gentleman though. Thanks for the help, I may take you up on your offer yet! big_smile

New York City

The beauty of the Ableton instrument rack is that you could modify everything in real time if you so wish so. It would be really helpful for a lot of people.

No promises, but I'd like to try this out, but I am afraid it would only work from Live 7 onwards, which I don't have. We'll see. I'll make a new topic if I start this project.

Now let's go back to AMIGA and COMMODORE 64 (maybe Plus/4 big_smile) help needed.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 8, 2010 2:10 pm)

Cambridge, UK

making patches for the MBSID isn't too tough, you just have to use either a control surface which you would have to make for the MBSID or a patch editor. since i didnt make a control surface i just use the patch editor that is supplied on the http://www.ucapps.de/ site. the editor is called the "JSynthLib editor" it works fairly well. there are also some other editors which work for the version 2.0 of the firmware. here is a brief and simple overview of my mbsid, just for your information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0xPzbNRR5Q

I'm going to be getting a sammichSID as well. I'm planning on just making a reaktor plugin to use in renoise. Or a reaktor ensemble for the standalone that I can control effectively with the monome as I don't aim for tracker techniques *as* much all the time.

I have a request.
Implementing sync feature in SDI. tongue

But seriously. Ever notice that there isn't a single tracker out there for the c64 that supports syncing in any way?
Personally I don't have the time to learn c64 assembler, but I could contribute in other ways.

New York City
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

But seriously. Ever notice that there isn't a single tracker out there for the c64 that supports syncing in any way?

And the Amiga ones that do are not of my liking. I want sync in for AHX.

If you had a bit of idea around C64 programming, I think MIDI syncing could be easy to do. Just implment SIN sync nd get a MIDI to DIN sync converter cable. I gues it would be easy to hack an existing tracker to listen to clicks coming from the user port instead of using CIA or similar timing.

But all the programmers of these trackers tink of us as "lowly" users not worth listening to tongue

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 8, 2010 9:52 pm)

Athens, Greece

i just got an a600 and i need some music software recommendations.
i currently use octamed v4.0

uhajdafdfdfa

Mano: AHX, Future Composer.