Fargo

I have a couple of the old non-usb cartridges for use with the Transferer II.  Problem is, the laptop I use now doesn't have the port to use the darn thing!  So I need to get a new, preferably USB, cartridge.  I've done a lot of research on the EMS, Bleepbloop, and Smart Boy cartridges and I've read up on the differences but still can't seem to decide.  EMS seems like the one that's easiest to find, but I've read things that make me wonder if I should go for the Bleepbloop (which seems to turn up nowhere).  I only want to use it for LSDJ, so I wouldn't have to save multiple roms on there.  It would help me to have actual user accounts to how these perform.  So...what do you use?  Does it work well/do you like it?  Are there other choices that I'm not savvy to?

Chicago IL

people seem to have a lot of trouble with bleepbloops. i've got an EMS usb and it's got it's share of problems but over all i'm really happy with it

BOSTON

hey Krubbz, ill trade you a newish EMS USB cart (should work fine, just needs a mini usb cable) for your old bleep bloop. i use the smartboy transferrer, so the bleepbloops work better for my setup than the new EMS

Fargo

I don't actually know what brand the 2 I have now are.  They are at least 3 years old and I got them through low-gain back when he provided those.

BOSTON

ah, apparently i completely misread your post!

you probably have the old EMS carts which look like the middle and right in this pic:

older bleep bloops look kinda like this:

but without the USB link on the right

and as for your question, they all work very similarly function-wise. there are certain small advantages to some [one cart fares better for memory recovery in crashes, some have capacitors that can hold a save with the battery removed, one seems to have slightly better battery lifespan, etc.] but the most important thing usually is in ease of backing up, as you mention. this tends to be more related to OS and transfer method than carts per se, and can be a bit tricky to find what method works the best for you.

EMS 64m USBs are great, and you dont have to use the multiple pages if you dont want to. I would say they are industry standard at this point.

I prefer the smartboy carts or older 32m bleepbloops, because i use the smartboy transferrer and dont need USB, but i use a few of the old ems 32s because they are cheap and make good backups. i have had crashes on all but the smartboy and the EMS USB, but that is likely because battery lifespan (they are newer) rather than anything else design-related.

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Jul 29, 2011 4:24 am)

Fargo

Yes, the ones I have look like those in the middle and right.  Why are bleepbloop cartridges so expensive?  I was under the impression they were more stable or something.  I should add I use a Mac laptop, though it would be easy enough to make backups on a pc.  Anyone have any more info on when that Infinity cartridge will come out?

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Is use this cart.

Fargo

Nice!

Last edited by Krubbz (Jul 29, 2011 9:28 am)

Fargo
10k wrote:

Is use this cart.

This is appealing to me because the person is using a mac in the video and that's what I use.  How did you get this?  From what I was just reading, it doesn't look like these are done.  Is this the same as the "Infinity Cartridge" or a different project all together?  When will they be available to buy?

BOSTON

10k, when's the derp cart coming out? ive been waiting wink

matt's mind
Krubbz wrote:

Is this the same as the "Infinity Cartridge" or a different project all together?

different altogether

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
Krubbz wrote:
10k wrote:

Is use this cart.

This is appealing to me because the person is using a mac in the video and that's what I use.  How did you get this?  From what I was just reading, it doesn't look like these are done.  Is this the same as the "Infinity Cartridge" or a different project all together?  When will they be available to buy?

Sorry, I am more of a tease than anything. That person is me, having a play with a prototype cart made by abrasive.

He is still moving forward on the project. But I'm not quite sure where he is at. He is a really busy guy.

Keep an eye here: http://mafipulation.org/blagoblig/gameboy/index.html
There is also a cm.o thread here: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4170/ … boy-carts/

To be perfectly honest, I don't fully trust any carts. Though, I do trust abrasive and know that if nothing else the cart is incredibly easy to back up; so even if something goes wrong, I have no excuses.

Fargo
10k wrote:

He is still moving forward on the project. But I'm not quite sure where he is at. He is a really busy guy.

I will keep an eye out.  These look really useful.  There are so many incomplete projects that look so cool right now.  I'd almost rather wait, but such is the nature of these projects I guess:  they never seem to have an expected completion date.  I'll wait eagerly until they do.

SYDNERDIA

The drag'n'derp is still moving - I've been ridiculously busy at work, so it's not moving very fast just now, but it is moving.

I'm gathering resources for batch manufacturing, and I still need to add "drag'n'derp" firmware upgrades - I know it's a bit more of a wait, but future-proofing is worth waiting for!

At this stage I'm aiming to get a first batch out by the end of October.

Sweeeeeeden

Finally an ETA!

Fargo
abrasive wrote:

- I know it's a bit more of a wait, but future-proofing is worth waiting for!

At this stage I'm aiming to get a first batch out by the end of October.

You're right, and , by all means, take your time.  I'm willing to wait for a superior product.