USA

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jul 30, 2011 12:37 am)

Venezuela

before this continue...
SurfaceDragon, man... call me troll/hater, but most of the last stuff you posted is not actually pixelart! sad((( you can do them in 2 minutes with some HI-CONTRAST/LEVELS. So plz, don't make ppl belive than that actually is "pixelart"... respect the real artists and mention that they arent made with the effort of pixel-by-pixel or drawing detailed.

and haters gona hate!! ^ ^

USA

What?

I stuff is "real" pixel art.

I do use copy/paste and advanced graphic design techniques from time to time but my stuff is legit.

I draw most of my stuff by hand and if i use advanced techniques I pretty much always make sure my pixel art can work on real hardware(in GlitchNES, or other ROMs).

My art isn't done in 2 minutes with some hi-contrast/levels I use skills and talent.

Please don't hate.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Jul 30, 2011 2:35 am)

USA

And I'm one of the only people in this community who will offer my graphic abilities or ROM hacking abilities to anyone here with a good request, free of charge.

I am a "real" artist who also supports other "real" artists.

Venezuela

LUL
I wonder why I bother to comment... but!... ok, not 2 minutes... this took me 5...

reference...

Wellington, New Zealand

that actually looks awesome ui

uhajdafdfdfa

DJ Posterize 2k8

liverpool - uk

some of the things posted do look like manipulated photo's

Last edited by poisoncut (Jul 30, 2011 8:39 am)

USA

ui - I would consider that manipulated photo of yours pixel-art.

There are no signs of it not being made entirely out of pixels like smooth diagonal lines, its actually 100% pixels.

And you kept it within a 4tone color palette so it could possibly be put into a ROM and used on real hardware(well a 128x128pixel section of it could be put into GlitchNES anyway).

I think it looks rad.

And it would be hard to argue that its not art made entirely out of pixels so therefor it would be considered pixel-art even if its not 100% drawn by hand.

I have respect for artists who choose to draw entirely by hand but I also have respect for artists who find creative ways of doing things like using copy/paste to their advantage, manipulating photos, using other advanced techniques, modern tools and software, and drawing inspiration from other artists and their artwork.

Even on occasion a "retooled" stolen piece of artwork can be very beautiful and inspiring.

Try to have an open mind and an open heart.

We all only live once.

Sweden
SurfaceDragon wrote:

ui - I would consider that manipulated photo of yours pixel-art.

There are no signs of it not being made entirely out of pixels like smooth diagonal lines, its actually 100% pixels.

100% pixels -- as in any raster based piece of computer art...

SurfaceDragon wrote:

And you kept it within a 4tone color palette so it could possibly be put into a ROM and used on real hardware(well a 128x128pixel section of it could be put into GlitchNES anyway).

So..? What about all the pixel art that does not fit into any tangible "real hardware" limitations? I see your point, but is the fact that you can display it using a NES really a defining property of pixel art?

SurfaceDragon wrote:

I think it looks rad.

Definitely, but that's not the question.

SurfaceDragon wrote:

And it would be hard to argue that its not art made entirely out of pixels so therefor it would be considered pixel-art even if its not 100% drawn by hand.

So by your definition, a digital photography could qualify as pixel art, because it's "made entirely out of pixels?" I think you are entirely missing the point. I always thought that the name "pixel art" referred to the process of creation itself, not whether it's "made entirely out of pixels" or not, which would actually include most computer based art.

SurfaceDragon wrote:

I have respect for artists who choose to draw entirely by hand but I also have respect for artists who find creative ways of doing things like using copy/paste to their advantage, manipulating photos, using other advanced techniques, modern tools and software, and drawing inspiration from other artists and their artwork.

Even on occasion a "retooled" stolen piece of artwork can be very beautiful and inspiring.

The issue is not about whether the art is respectable, admirable beautiful or inspiring. I like your pictures. The question is: Are they pixel art?

liverpool - uk
boomlinde wrote:

The question is: Are they pixel art?

...If they are manipulated photographs, no.

USA

I see your point and it is a valid one but I think you shouldn't put such tight limitations on any form of art.

Here is a definition that I found of Pixel-art -

Pixel Art: Art that is created exclusively with pixels. Due to the nature of the medium, pixel art can often have a jagged appearance in parts.

I see how the use of filters can be considered cheating, so what, embrace it as a style if the end result adds up to an image comprised of 100%pixels with an intentional separation between colors(like in ui's Godzilla-facepalm image) rather than shun the technique altogether.

Drawing entirely by hand limits pixel art as an art-form, I say be creative and embrace whatever tools and techniques you want(if the end result is comprised exclusively of pixels), don't limit your creativity.

Sweden

No, really, you don't see my point. Using the term "pixel art" as a point of reference for anything when your definition is as inclusive as "the end result is comprised exclusively of pixels" is impossible. It practically means nothing in the world of computer graphics, because anything you'll ever see on your monitor is a constellation of pixels.

None of us are "shunning" any techniques or telling anyone not to embrace them, but we are questioning its merits as "pixel art" -- not its merits as art. I could probably posterize, downscale and recolor a great photograph and make a beautiful picture out of it, but that in itself doesn't make it pixel art, as much as you don't call an oil painting a pencil sketch. The techniques are entirely different.

USA

I think this has become a debate of old-school vs. new-school, hand drawn pixel-by-pixel vs. modern computer-aided techniques.

I embrace both.

As for "merits as pixel art" - think what you want, I don't really care what you think, I don't post my artwork to seek praise and if you don't like my work whatever, I just hope to inspire others to pursuit creating their own artwork.

I feel that my artwork leans toward the old-school hand drawn style if you look at my entire portfolio.

The stuff that I've posted here is a very small selection of my recent work.

Recently I've been using the new-school style because I've been experimenting with many different things and I'm not opposed to taking help from a computer.

I fulfill requests for ROMs with hacked graphics regularly and these new techniques have really helped me save lots of time and effort.

I'm pretty sure that everyone who has taken advantage of the services has been extremely happy with my work.

I'm always taking requests for any kind of graphic artwork that you may need as well as for custom/modified GB and NES ROMs.

My services are free of charge for "good" requests.(Good being acceptable ones that are within my power to fulfill)

If you want something feel free to ask.(serious requests only, please)

I'm not trying to steal any thunder from artists who spend ridiculous amounts of time drawing pixel art pixel-by-pixel, I actually have lots of respect for them because I spend ridiculous amounts of time drawing pixel art pixel-by-pixel too.

I'm going to continue posting my work here and I hope to see your work posted here as well.

Sweden
SurfaceDragon wrote:

I think this has become a debate of old-school vs. new-school, hand drawn pixel-by-pixel vs. modern computer-aided techniques.

No, it's not, and it's only you who think that this is a "vs." type of discussion. None of us are ragging on your technique in any way. Is it pixel art, though? I think it's OK to post it here, anyhow, but I can see the point ui is making. It's really not pixel art by any quality that has come to define the term, and none of the definitions of pixel art that you have proposed have made any sense.

SurfaceDragon wrote:

As for "merits as pixel art" - think what you want, I don't really care what you think, I don't post my artwork to seek praise and if you don't like my work whatever, I just hope to inspire others to pursuit creating their own artwork.

Again, my point zoomed right by you. As I already said, I like the stuff you post here. Your works are good, but not pixel art, as much as they are not 3D renderings, oil paintings or whatever. What I am saying is that your artwork is good by its own merit, but most of what you've posted here is obviously not pixel art by any definition less literal than that it's "made out of pixels."

Wellington, New Zealand

wouldn't photos be pixel art because they use pixels