Tokyo, Japan

Does anyone have strong feelings for or against either of these guys as all purpose MOD/XM, NSF, SID etc players? They both seems to be winamp influenced players with lots of plug ins, I wondered if one was clearly better than the other for any reason?

uhajdafdfdfa

xmplay is able to use winamp plugins as well as plugins made for xmplay. i think it's been much easier to find plugins because of this.

i prefer the default skin of fb2k to the default skin of xmplay.

fb2k is considerably nicer for playing mp3 files, but!
fb2k changes the icons of all the music files on your computer to a strange picture of an alien and it's not that simple to change them back

i think xmplay might be MORE ACCURATE on mod/xm/it/s3m and you know how important 100% total perfect not-a-single-bit-different-to-fasttracker-2 accuracy is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

foobar2000 is an mp3 player that people use to play mods, xmplay is a modplayer that people use to play mp3s big_smile  when i was using foobar2000 as my main music player i still used xmplay for everything chiptunes

Edmonton, Canada

Yeah, foobar2000 can't play any mod stuff by default, however there are components that allows you to play them. I like foobar because it's simple, resource friendly, and has a great minimalist interface smile

XMPlay is THE most accurate module player on PC, switch the mod playback mode to PT1 and it handles most Amiga ones fine too.  (for the rest add the oldsk00l winamp plug-in)   If you want more amiga formats Delix and AHX are here. (though you might want to keep a copy of Deliplayer around for more obscure ones)

Brazil

I use Foobar to listen to my genesis and snes OSTs.

Portland

I really like XMPlay.

I use Foobar for .SAP and XMplay for .XM, .MOD and .IT

I use Foobar2000 for everything, because I can use it for everything.

Unless I can actually use NSFPlay on the computer I'm at, then I use NSFPlay for NSFs.

ant1 wrote:

i think xmplay might be MORE ACCURATE on mod/xm/it/s3m and you know how important 100% total perfect not-a-single-bit-different-to-fasttracker-2 accuracy is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's more about just playing it correctly rather than 100% ACCURATE SOUND REPRODUCTION, ESPECIALLY ON THOSE LATE 90s TRANCE XMs. There isn't any noise or special quirks (sound wise) to emulate in XM/S3M/IT so it focuses more on executing commands properly. Again it's not a big deal, but you'll run into some songs that just don't sound right. If you want 100% ACCURATE EMULATION of Amiga MODs you can use UADE. http://zakalwe.fi/uade/ You'll have to use something like XMMS or Audacious on Linux to use it though. Overall when I used XMPlay I really liked it and can't recommend it more.

fb2k is considerably nicer for playing mp3 files, but!
fb2k changes the icons of all the music files on your computer to a strange picture of an alien and it's not that simple to change them back

Also this would be incredibly annoying.

Last edited by Rouwe (Aug 4, 2011 7:56 pm)

Brazil

Just don't associate foobar to the files. I guess I did that.