uhajdafdfdfa
celsius wrote:

Your arguement is a paradox. You want to promote the freedom of speech regardless of how stupid that point of view might be but you also want people to make a judgment to self censor if it is not constructive.

Yeah... You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Being respectful to other people is a self-censorship everyone does so much that I would hardly call it self-censorship anymore, it's just part of life (a pretty important part, too). Posting things with no intention at all of being constructive is disrespectful, I think, and I'm sure we'd all rather have less of it.

People being able to say their own point of view without being mocked by other people is something we should aim for here, I think.

Maybe everyone can read up on netiquette a bit, try to be civil to other people here, to stay on topic mostly, and then we won't need any more threads like this one. smile

Edit: typo yikes

Last edited by ant1 (Jan 27, 2010 2:13 am)

Sweden
celsius wrote:

Your arguement is a paradox. You want to promote the freedom of speech regardless of how stupid that point of view might be but you also want people to make a judgment to self censor if it is not constructive.

Yeah... You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Wanting people to do something does not impair their freedom of speech, so there's nothing paradoxical going on here.

Self censorship, by the way, does not limit your freedom to say exactly what you want, either.

Philly, PA, USA

THIS IS STUPID GTFO YOU GUYS
just kidding, i agree with joule, and i think the fine fellows of this forum indeed have the faintest flicker of formality that they could follow this feasible formality to fruition.
(it's 5 am big_smile )

Melbourne, Australia

Guys, a great man once said "It's a cold world out there. Wear a jacket."

If that doesn't work for you, 10k (a sort of okay man tongue) once said "Chug a cup of concrete and harden the fuck up!"

Anaheim, California
celsius wrote:

If that doesn't work for you, 10k (a sort of okay man tongue) once said "Chug a cup of concrete and harden the fuck up!"

are you saying to just not do anyhting when someone personally attacks you on a forum?

Melbourne, Australia
Russolo wrote:
celsius wrote:

are you saying to just not do anyhting when someone personally attacks you on a forum?

I'm trying to say posting a thread asking that everyone please hold hands and get along is fairly naive. I'm also suggesting that maybe instead of asking everyone to do so that maybe you should just accept that there are people out there you will not see eye to eye with. These same people sometimes will not be courteous in doing so.

Perhaps you could just toughen up a bit, realise that you can't win a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent and grow a thicker skin.
If there are obvious re-offenders then the mod team will warn and in extreme cases ban these users.

Failing that, yes ignore personal attacks. What does it achieve by slinging more shit?

Anaheim, California

thank you for the clarification, and I agree with your post.  Also, I think that by adressing the situation like joule has done will make people a little more aware for the future and the people who do personally attack people will (hopefully) stop or at least consider the effects of their posts more.

Melbourne, Australia
Russolo wrote:

I think that by adressing the situation like joule has done will make people a little more aware for the future...

I don't. I think people will look at this thread, roll their eyes and think to themselves "stop being so precious".

The same people who are arseholes will continue to be arseholes.

End of story.

This thread wasn't about personal attacks. It was about the "creative climate" and it was especially relevant as it concerned the developer/site owner (?) having a big part of affecting this. It was posted in "bugs and requests".

Brooklyn NY US

In my admittedly subjective view --

- good user behavior and etiquette is more of a wish than a feature request, and the absence of it isn't really a bug.
- pointing this wish at the people who run the site is like trying to buy antidepressants at a hardware store.

tl;dr version: site developers / owners can moderate posts but can't control user demeanor or etiquette.

Los Angeles
joule wrote:

This thread wasn't about personal attacks. It was about the "creative climate" and it was especially relevant as it concerned the developer/site owner (?) having a big part of affecting this. It was posted in "bugs and requests".

This is what I meant by asking you to be clear about your problems or suggestions. You are too vague. I really do not see a problem in asking you to be specific.

Also this:

joule wrote:

If you at some point can't relate to a thread, or thinks it is negative and should be "attacked", it might be a better idea to 1) ask for clarification, and 2) leave it for later until something good eventually have come out of it. Other people than you may be able to interact constructively with the poster - or it will simply be ignored, which is not a problem.