Russia, Moscow

Dendy Chronicles is a web series that tells story of unlicensed NES clones, known as Dendy, in Russia in 1990s and about games for it.

Kinaman is a 23 years old russian guy and a retro gamer. He started to make retro video games reviews just recently, and already gained some local popularity. Some people call him 'russian video game nerd' and make related jokes, well, he is for sure. What makes him different from other local VG reviewers is the things he is talking about. Instead of just swearing all the time, he reminds us how crazy early console gaming experience was in Russia in the past. Major reason why I like to watch reviews of popular english-speaking VG reviewers is that they show me sort of an alternative reality, because here things were very different. I think it could be interesting for people outside of Russia to see an alternative reality too, that's why I decided to make english subtitles for Kinaman's videos.

First three episodes are dedicated to all the games about Mario that were released for Dendy. There are a bit more games than you could expect.

How to use subtitles in YouTube player:

You can enable them with the CC button at the bottom right, or, in case of the embed player, with the triangle button at the bottom right and then with CC button in the pop-up menu.

To make subtitles background opaque that makes them easier to read, press B button on the keyboard. You also can change font size with +/- button, and there are other settings available under the CC button.

Last edited by Shiru (Nov 19, 2011 7:30 pm)

Russia, Moscow

While translation of next episodes is in progress, you can watch similar but earlier Kinaman's work - 'The Curse of the Gray Elephant', an hour-long video, practically a feature, that is focused on the Dendy thing in general. It contains much more swearing, though. English subtitles by DeniSS, CamaroSS, and Sobol14. They need a bit of proofreading, hope this will be done soon.

Nomad's Land

this sounds very interesting, but i don't see any subtitles!?!

ed: ahh i see, it's only transcription. can you make real subtitles instead, that would be much more pleasant to watch.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Oct 1, 2011 6:40 pm)

Russia, Moscow

You need to turn them on with CC button, which is either on the progress bar or under the [ ^ ] button.

What you mean by 'real subtitles', the hard ones, that rendered into the video? That's not common for online videos. YouTube player has nice support of soft subtitles, you can even change font, colors and size.

Nomad's Land

ahh yes, it wasn't properly working with my aging ubuntu, fixed it now.

anyway these videos are awesome! this guy has talent. Russian VGN for sure.

Brazil

Awesome!

rochester, ny

that first episode was rad. i hope more get translated.

Ironically, my browser kept freezing at the point where Mario gets stuck (just a YT problem, saw it all in the end). I loved it, everything from the close-ups of the Dendy to the anecdote about Pepsi in Russia made it worth watching.

Turku, FIN

Niceee

Russia, Moscow

Translation of Episode #2 is done.

Brazil

Hahaha amzing, I love pirate games!

Russia, Moscow

Translation of Episode #3 is available.

Additionally, a blooper from The Curse of the Gray Elephant.

Also, an extra scene from The Curse of the Gray Elephant.

Very interesting series Shiru, and thanks for taking the time to translate these. It's fascinating seeing how different things were for Russia.

rochester, ny

my band watched the first together and loved it. we're gonna watch #2 and #3 tonight!

Отлично же! :3

Great series big_smile

Here in holland we had stories like that too. Probably everywhere.
Some guy a kid knew played mario 5 at a friends house.
Someone else once saw someone play Doom 6

This one guy who was a friend of a guy who know... bla bla
he finished mario 10 times, and the princess got naked.

but there wheren't a lot of pirated games here. there where some of those 99 in 1 things, most of the time with 10 games on it.