Dublin, IN

when it's all based on PC trackers? Everything I've made so far has either used FamiTracker, SunVox, or  both (plus Hammerhead for drums...)

I feel like standing behind a laptop and hitting play would be a joke... I'm probably going to add some stuff from Trippy-H and some electic bass to my tracks, but I still feel like pressing play on the trackers isn't right... What options do I have?

*I hope this post doesn't make me sound like an idiot.

vancouver, canada

i've seen a few blipfest sets where the artist did just that (4mat and manabn come to mind).  personally i didn't mind it so much, as long as the music itself made up for any perceived lack of showmanship.

if you could find a way to split the various channels of the tracker over different outputs (or play two instances of the song in sync on two laptops and mute the channels appropriately), you could feed one of them into an effects module.

or you could come up with a dance routine. 
JDDJ3J has used this to great effect.

Dublin, IN
bryface wrote:

or you could come up with a dance routine. 
JDDJ3J has used this to great effect.

That's the dumbest and most simultaneously awesome thing I've ever seen. xD

Portland

I use Trippy H or Digitech Whammy to manipulate and add to the mix.
You could try adding some keys.

Dublin, IN
Dos wrote:

I use Trippy H or Digitech Whammy to manipulate and add to the mix.
You could try adding some keys.

Could you elaborate on how you use Trippy-H? Is it mostly for sound effects?
As for adding keys, I'm pretty set on the idea of adding bass. FamiTracker just doesn't have enough low end for me, and my keyboard doesn't really have any good synth bass sounds... stupid Yamaha...

Portland

I use Trippy-H only for its sound effects live, sometimes sound effect 3 will add some punch to the kick for songs, and i believe its 5 and 6 (which ever ones are pitch bends) are good for drops etc.
If you want to make it a better bass, maybe hook it up to a distortion pedal or multiprocessor (or even to some sort of midi device)?  I can make the organ sound on my SK-1 sound like an epic sawtooth bass with some fuzz and distortion.

Dublin, IN

I was messing around with Trippy-H the other day, and thinking 5 and 6 would be good for transitions. Thanks for the idea on #3!
And, really, I just wanna play my bass... Haha...

Philly, PA, USA

For the most part what a lot of chipmusicians do is press play and dance around, I've seen some people (chipocrite, an0va, animalstyle) who have mostly pre-tracked music but then will play guitar/bass along with it. the other thing is you could use some external effects and manipulate those live and when you're not doing that just make it looks like you're doing something. I haven't done any full shows but when i've done open mic mostly I just follow the tracked song and make sure it's not breaking, and also just look at the stage mixer occasionally to make sure i'm not breaking the speakers.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

what's so bad about hitting play and just fucking sitting down and staring at the audience

rochester, ny
Reteris wrote:

what's so bad about hitting play and just fucking sitting down and staring at the audience

Tacoma WA

improvisation with nanoloop and my modular

http://infradead.shiftwave.org/live-at- … me-coffee/

nanoloop 1.3 with nord g1 for effects and korg kp3 for live looping

http://infradead.shiftwave.org/nord-g1-from-shiftwave/

its a fucking mess and hard as hell.  there is always something you do wrong that pisses you off that no one else notices.

vancouver, canada
Reteris wrote:

ACT OF THE YEAR

Australia
Crooked Sidewalks wrote:

I still feel like pressing play on the trackers isn't right... What options do I have?

Well, if you are in a situation where you are just going to "press play" on a PC tracker, then why not break it into parts and drop it into something like Ableton Live or (better still) Maschine and use a cool surface to control your sequencing with the laptop shut?  It seems a bit silly when you have all that computing power to just hit play in a tracker and jump around.  Especially if you've already rendered the Famitracker waveforms. 

If you do keep it running in the tracker, you could potentially add "loop" points and choose when to break the loops or switch channels / parts on and off on the fly (which is what I do on the Amiga).  I also channel split and put (in my case) CH 1&4 and 2&3 on separate channels of a Pioneer DJM800 which has mappible effects processor and dedicated pass filters.   Or I use a couple of Kaos pads if I can't take the 800.  Sometimes, due to the sound system, instruments need turning up and down to sit better in the mix on the fly too so it's worth keeping a listen to the track.  :-)

Godzilladelph
nickmaynard wrote:
Reteris wrote:

*shameless self whatever*

Last edited by SKGB (Nov 28, 2011 8:46 am)

IL, US

when using piggy tracker live, i go into live mode (usually the whole set in one save), and rework the entire song stuctures... also have a effect loop setup using aux send from my mixer which runs through a kp mini and sometimes an alesis airfx...when im playing tracks with bent drum machines involved, i also will switch around the bends or use the body contact pitch bend on the tr-505

uhajdafdfdfa

do some "peformance art" while your music is playing