Sydney, NSW
kineticturtle wrote:

The differences in sound and capabilities between the DMG and GBC are well documented, and in fact there are artists (like Wizwars) whose sound is partially dependent on the model they use. It's also pretty well known that the GBA and newer generate their sound in emulation, not purely from the CPU.

all gameboys make square waves and noise waves and have a programmable wave channel.
and unless your sound is dependant on the model of gameboy you have (a la wizwars), then it really does not matter at all, music-wise.

Philly, PA, USA
Chainsaw Police wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

The differences in sound and capabilities between the DMG and GBC are well documented, and in fact there are artists (like Wizwars) whose sound is partially dependent on the model they use. It's also pretty well known that the GBA and newer generate their sound in emulation, not purely from the CPU.

all gameboys make square waves and noise waves and have a programmable wave channel.
and unless your sound is dependant on the model of gameboy you have (a la wizwars), then it really does not matter at all, music-wise.

but all this is dependant on having a target sound in the first place, so wanting to look around at what the sounds available are when just starting out is appropriate. also, some gameboy models do just sound better than others. also also, some do have button layout whatever shits going on. this is stupid and let's keep on about what the actual issue is

if squidula feels s/he needs to get a different gameboy there's plenty out there to help with that, otherwise i think this thread is a good place to figure out a problem that people actually seem unfamiliar with, and shouldn't be cluttered with a fuck ton of stupid shit about gameboys are all the same and gameboys are all totally unique, come on.

Well, for what it's worth, here's what I found with the main Gameboys that I've actually tried LSDJ on.

DMG: Sounds more bass heavy to me, feels good in hand, reliable and not bad battery life.

Pocket: Pretty cool to write with, sounds a little bit thinner than the DMG, but it was pretty fun.

GBC: Sounds more rough and thinner, hard to see screen. Other than that it was good to go.

GBA: Start and select were rough to work with. Sound wasn't desirable, in my opinion.

SP: Better start and select, obviously good screen, sound was okay but you need an external sound jack adapter for it.

I haven't tried the micro yet because I can't get my Flashcart for it to work, but other than that I love it.

Chicago, IL

okay thanks guys! I found gamers connect has some pretty sick dmg's already dressed up all pretty for sale.

do you guys know if this is a reliable vendor?

They look pretty cool, but the prices seem a bit steep...honestly, you don't really need a super snazzy gameboy when you're just starting off. I started out on an unmodified DMG and wound up really liking it so i wound up investing in more complicated equipment. Also, just plain DMGs can you for around $15 bucks if you look hard enough.

If you absolutely must have a modded one to start off with, I'd contact Apeshit or NeX or nonfinite and see how much they'd charge for what you want. They're really good with this stuff.

Honestly, the only mod I really think is extremely helpful is the backlight, because it makes it easier to see (obviously), and you can get one fore about $15-16.