Whitley Bay, England

I'm really looking to make a fairly specific sound of kick, but I'm really struggling with it. In LSDJ, all I seem to be able to get is a good solid thud - what I'm looking for would be better described as a boom?

Looking to make sorta noise/surf punk stuff, and this is the sound I'm going for. The thud kick doesn't quite fit with a lot of what I'm trying to do, where ordinarily this kinda sound would be used!

So, got any tips? I know a lot of the sound will come in post-production, but the most I can do pre-production (so it would be possible to reproduce it live) the better!

Skip to about 20 seconds in this video to hear the kinda thing I mean -

Try a quiet pulse kick with a somewhat slow pitch down, and layer it with an echoing noise channel kick.

Last edited by Octothorpe (Dec 20, 2011 10:44 pm)

Sydney, NSW

Create a wave channel kick with a sine waveform. pitch bend it as you would any other pulse kick

Gosford, Australia

Could also start with a fast pitchbend for the pop and then a slow one a couple ticks later for the boooom on any of the tuned channels.

Personally, I'd use a sine-ish sound on the wav chan so you can shape the start of the kick synth to be clipped a lot and then smooth it out on the next frame, flipping through the frames using the same table for the pitchbend smile

United States

sample the kick and load it into a drum kit on wav channel

Last edited by Boner (Dec 21, 2011 12:36 am)

buffalo, NY
Chainsaw Police wrote:

Create a wave channel kick with a sine waveform. pitch bend it as you would any other pulse kick

Whitley Bay, England
Victory Road wrote:

Could also start with a fast pitchbend for the pop and then a slow one a couple ticks later for the boooom on any of the tuned channels.

Personally, I'd use a sine-ish sound on the wav chan so you can shape the start of the kick synth to be clipped a lot and then smooth it out on the next frame, flipping through the frames using the same table for the pitchbend smile

Could you give me an example of some values? Slightly confused by some of the language you've used haha

Sydney, NSW
TraceKaiser wrote:

Could you give me an example of some values? Slightly confused by some of the language you've used haha

This is the exact kick I use whenever I have free space in the wave channel (which is almost never).

http://brkbrkbrk.com/patch/patch.php?ty … e&id=7

Make sure to play it at around C5 or C6 to get the best results.
If you want something a bit more powerful (a la thrash or any other aggressive style), play it at C7 or C8 - C9 could work too.

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Dec 21, 2011 5:48 am)