0R360N

********UPDATE********

check out the new addition to the guide
http://thretris.blogspot.com/2010/01/ls … pdate.html

MA
Natty wrote:

Thanks for the guide.

The keyboard I bought had the following wires: Red, White, Green, Blue
I connected them to the DMG-07 cable as follows, based on some stuff I read online:

Keyboard =====DMG
Red -     +5V     - Brown
White -  Data    -  Yellow
Green - Clock   -  Green
Blue -  Ground  -  Blue

Now when I plug in my keyboard, LSDJ shuts off, and the screen goes blank, but the battery light remains on. If I plug it in before turning on the DMG, the program just won't start.

Any ideas?

Natty!! I'm having that same problem! What did you have to do to figure it out??? Please help idk wtf the prob. is I tried everything! Help a turtle out, yo! PLEASE?!?!

New York City
Natty wrote:

Thanks for the guide.

The keyboard I bought had the following wires: Red, White, Green, Blue
I connected them to the DMG-07 cable as follows, based on some stuff I read online:

Keyboard =====DMG
Red -     +5V     - Brown
White -  Data    -  Yellow
Green - Clock   -  Green
Blue -  Ground  -  Blue

Uhm, cable colour is not a standard to follow. You should have probed the pins in the connector to see where they led.
You are obviously plugging something where you shouldn't, probably the +5V line.

MA

???

MA

I made the mistake of not testing out the DMG-07 cable and the Dell SK-8100, before I built the LSDJ keyboard . opps. Like I said....Blank screen WHENEVER you plug it in the DMG brick while LSDJ is running. Before I start hacking up more cables and keyboards...Is there any hope for me on getting this one to work???

Central-ish VA

I've tried to follow this and have had issues using a link cable I bought from kitsch.  Perhaps someone would be willing to join me in this journey into why the hell it doesn't work properly?

http://kitsch.bigcartel.com/product/dmc … link-cable

I mean, clearly the colors are mixed up, but for the life of me I can't figure out which is which.

MA

I don't think the one from Kitsch is the right link you need for this (no +5 v line)...I'm no genius, but I would try using the official standard DMG-07 cable...probably get one for around $10 on eBay.

MA

^No offense to Kitsch btw... he's offers some of the best products out there for the chip community. I just can't see that cable working w/o furthur modifications on the +5v power...

Melbourne, Australia
Beverage wrote:

I've tried to follow this and have had issues using a link cable I bought from kitsch.  Perhaps someone would be willing to join me in this journey into why the hell it doesn't work properly?

http://kitsch.bigcartel.com/product/dmc … link-cable

I mean, clearly the colors are mixed up, but for the life of me I can't figure out which is which.

No 5v in kitsch's cable, I have asked him myself. It pretty unlikely any link cable will have a 5v wire inside because it simply is not needed, although some third party link cable have the 5v pin so a wire could be added. Your best choice is DMG-07 or a light that plugs into the link cable port.

MA

I was just given a Dell Model RT7D20. I tested it this time. lol...it Works!I cut the cord to see what wire colors I'm using.
Brown
White
Green
Red (more pink than red I think)

I'll take a few pics later, if needed to show what the KB and wires looks like. Any leads to what wire color guide to go by?

0R360N

I havent done that color set yet, so IDK. Would need to bust out the multimeter

MA

Never used a continuity or multimeter or circuit tester before...But I own all three of them. Here's to trying them out...Any suggestions on how-to test the wires with these tools? I get the concept, but I'm not sure what side of the wires need to be exposed to test what to what?? I've seen a good diagram of the wire breakdown on some Ps/2 connectors...I still not sure how to go about testing with multimeters and such.... Can someone help me out? Feel free to PM me... I'll send you free gameboy stuff to barter with you time. If anyone else has success with the wire set-up on this Dell model (RT7D20) please post here. Thanks chip ppl!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Turtle413 wrote:

I don't think the one from Kitsch is the right link you need for this (no +5 v line)...I'm no genius, but I would try using the official standard DMG-07 cable...probably get one for around $10 on eBay.

And when you cut the cable from the DMG-07 pcb.. feel free to mail me the pcb :-D teehee

matt's mind

use the DMG-04 or DMG-07 cables for the 5V line to be built-in already...

hope that helps.

0R360N
low-gain wrote:
Turtle413 wrote:

And when you cut the cable from the DMG-07 pcb.. feel free to mail me the pcb :-D teehee

I will be sending you anything I can when I mail the C64 also smile

kitsch wrote:

use the DMG-04 or DMG-07 cables for the 5V line to be built-in already...

hope that helps.

Hey Kitsch, I have had a few reliable people confirm that the DMG-04 does not supply the power source. Have you actually tried? Trash80 was one of the poeple who said they do not sad

MA
low-gain wrote:
Turtle413 wrote:

Low-Gain...no problem! I have 6 or 7 DMG-07's with PCB's you can have em all. And I have several in the mail as we speak..lol

Thretris...I'm just going to take my chances on this one. I really hope it works cuz we can post the color sequence on your tutorial hopefully smile It's only four freakin wires I think I can do it.lol. I actually jumped ahead and just roughly connected some wires that kinda made sense...and the keyboard's led lights flickered a bit when I turned the Game boy on...So far so good.

Btw ppl...Anyone know if its possible to damage or short circuit a keyboard, by messing with wires while the DMG is on? I know probably a dumb question...but I have done that to test out what wires work...maybe that was my problem last time??? Can this be possible??? Should I not do that...ever? Or is it ok to mess with the wires when everything is on and connected? I assume bad for the Gameboy...but what about the KB?