Savannah, Georgia

so what kind of musical background/experience does chipmusic have?

i personally have none other than my recent workings in trackers, but i'd expect most people to have a lot more (at the very least highschool band/orchestra, comp/music theory, etc.)

Abandoned on Fire

6-12th grade band, garage bands, all on percussion

Texas

Piano lessons and music theory since I was 9, band from 6th grade to now, and a whole lot of just screwing around with instruments and looking up stuff online. Most of my stylistic knowledge, however, just comes from listening to and experimenting with all kinds of music from Noisia to Black Sabbath to Glenn Miller's Air Force Band. 8D

rochester

piano lessons thru age ten, wind ensemble (alto and baritone saxophone) 3rd-12th grade, marching band, multiple jazz bands 6th grade thru junior year of college (on both saxophone and electric bass), electric bass lessons 9th-11th grade, music theory classes junior year of college. also played in a couple of indie rock bands before discovering chips via nick maynard.

Last edited by pk (Feb 9, 2012 9:59 pm)

The Hollow Earth

I have zero formal musical training. I think having listened to music daily and consistently since I was very young probably has more to do with cementing basic musical theory into my head than anything else. When I was little, my parents didn't buy "children's" music for me, they played me their own records and when I got old enough to work the record player on my own, that's the kind of thing I listened to.

Last edited by Subterrestrial (Feb 9, 2012 9:59 pm)

buffalo, NY

No formal training, but I,ve been playing since I was 12.

Taught myself theory and play with a lot of trained players.  Took a theory class in college and already knew everything.

Savannah, Georgia

god now i feel sorta bad for starting this shit so late, everyone's taken classes or lessons or gotten their skill early on and all i can really do is intermediately work a tracker.

[/pityparty]

Last edited by Aeros (Feb 10, 2012 2:00 am)

Classically trained in Piano for like 12 years; but I've taught myself a ton since I stopped taking lessons.

ohio gozaimasu

High school concert band, orchestra, marching band, jazz band, blablabla. All on percussion, but I played cello for like 2 years in elementary school. I take drum lessons and jam around in a hardcore punk band. Chip was pretty much my start at composition; maybe some Anvil Studio dabbling beforehand.

Puerto Rico

I've been listening to music for as long as I can remember, I've been around bands since highschool so that taught me basic things like time and notes and mixing. I have a violin which I never really got into, and I had an ocarina. (But it broke!!) I had played with sequencers a bit, as well. And I had a DDR phase. But then again, I've been following the chipmusic scene for years, only now do I feel like actually making music. It's like I've been trying to make music since middle school, and I always got bored with whatever I picked up.

buffalo, NY

I don't know if DDR can be considered "music experience".  Well I guess technically.

Savannah, Georgia
danimal cannon wrote:

I don't know if DDR can be considered "music experience".  Well I guess technically.

technically, yes. mainly actual experience with music composition and playing instruments, though.

Fargo

I took piano lessons as a kid and then picked up trumpet from 6th to 12th grades.  All that while, my true passion was in playing trapset.  I taught myself by playing along with music.  I took a few lessons, but only for a few months.  I think more than anything just the love of music and developing a musical ear have helped me with things like trackers.  Anyone can do them.  It might progress slowly at first, but listen to a lot of others' work and listen to a lot of genres.  It can't hurt to do some basic theory online.  There's all sorts of that you can find.

AANABAY01

self-taught hrrf drrf

i notice a lot of people citing huge chunks of tuition then i listen to their music and guess it what, it sounds like everyone else

if you have the capacity then join the cutting edge with me

San Diego

As a kid I was interested in quite a few genres of music and always wanted to play instruments. At the age of 12 I tried band out at school but got stuck with the french horn so that didn't last long. Around the age of 13 I took piano lessons for about 2 months and it didn't teach me a damn thing about reading notes or musical theory. I had an ear for music early on and could copy a lot of what was shown to me but didn't have a clue as to what note I was even playing. Instructor started teaching me songs without going over basics so I kind of got the shaft when trying to learn. Tried learning guitar but the only person to ever show me anything showed me how to strum 2 chords...yet again....shafted. At the age of 17 a friend turned me onto a looped based program called Acid Pro. It took me 6 years off and on to even learn the program, only having dial up being out in the middle of nowhere didn't really help me for downloading VSTs or even surfing the web for good tutorials. A couple years ago I started getting more interested in making my own samples and started picking up bits and pieces of equipment. Even though I do have some of the basics to get started I feel rather behind on my experience at utilizing everything to its potential. About 6 months ago I started getting into the chip scene more for the modding but I've been trying to learn LSDJ for the past couple months. Also trying to go back to school for recording arts to pursue this more seriously.

México, DF.

'been playing guitar and bass since 2007 I guess.
Now I'm studying music production and a lot of musical theory.