IL, US

maybe 3 or 4 channel...
if it had fx send, 3 band eq & headphone send i think most people would be pretty well covered, probably no need for mic preamps or anything of that sort

Wilmington,NC

Battery power mixer is a great idea.

Abandoned on Fire

+1 on micro mixer, all stereo with effect loop and phone channel.
How much juice would that need?  Possible to run off link port or USB?

sweden

There are TONS of battery driven small mixers, but none with 3-band EQ.

Ive been looking for one the last three years.

Turku, FIN

+1 for micromixer with 3-band EQ

reject of nintendoage

a decent battery mixer would be cool, but i doubt it can be done better and cheaper than this http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UBB1002.aspx with reasonable effort.

only one effects send, but 3 band eq!

what i'd like to have is something like an effects send expander, giving me more than the usual 2 effects sends you find in small mixers. No idea how it could be done, though

IL, US

^ that has mic pre-amps, which cost money to make and take up space, but otherwise its close to what im talking about... figure the size can be reduced but cutting the pre-amps, dropping it to 4 stereo channels from 5, move the input & output jacks (besides headphones) to the rear panel & use knobs instead of sliders for volume... top surface would be down to a 6x4 grid of knobs + a master volume knob & headphone jack, rear panel 10 1/4" jacks and a barrel plug for optional 9v AC adapter

Unsubscribe

You dont build a mixer cause itll be cheaper, you build it to be more useful big_smile. I dont think he'll be able to undercut china sweatshop prices.

Abandoned on Fire

Something functionally similar to this but with a more friendly layout would be ideal for me (totally passive so no batteries but probably would need a headphone amp):  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitMix4

England

Have a look at the Samson Mixpad 4. I haven't used one, but I'd go for that over the Behri.

Requires 3x9V batteries. 3 band eq etc

Last edited by InactiveX (Feb 14, 2012 3:25 pm)

reject of nintendoage
herr_prof wrote:

You dont build a mixer cause itll be cheaper, you build it to be more useful big_smile. I dont think he'll be able to undercut china sweatshop prices.

true.

being a low level tinkerer, i couldn't imagine building a mixer that can do better stuff than the 1002b in a reasonable form factor.
but on the other hand, i just hate smd and double sided pcbs.

actually, i'd love to see this done and me be proven wrong smile
may put an end to my dreams about step-up-converters and car batteries...

also, every mixer in the world needs MOAR EFFETCS SENDS!!!

egr: THAT thing CAN be done cheaper, i'm sure. Looks like 4 pots and 10 jacks in a box for 50$...come oooon

Last edited by shizcake (Feb 14, 2012 5:21 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
shizcake wrote:

egr: THAT thing CAN be done cheaper, i'm sure. Looks like 4 pots and 10 jacks in a box for 50$...come oooon

Its all the routing configs that make that particular unit so appealing to me.
What I'm actually envisioning would essentially be a flat tabletop patchbay with a headphone amp and some pots.  Then you could configure it to have many different combinations of effect loops, inputs, and sends.

Sort of like the "monome" of mixers.  lol  wink

X

So it seems like the battery-powered mixer is a crowd favourite at this point, and I did a bit of thinking on it, and here's what I came up with:

- Using a passive mixer, so there will be no amplification in the mixing stage and you will still need to amp the output, but I'm not sure how well that will integrate with the fx sends and such.

- 4 stereo channels with fx sends (not sure how many, most likely be 2 to keep it simpler, sorry guys).

- Headphone out, nuff said.

- 3 band eq = to keep it simpler, I think it will boil down to having 3 set filters with adjustable frequency and gain
**What would people find the most useful?** (Was thinking maybe a low cut or shelf, a bandpass, and then, I dunno, maybe a high cut?, its really up to the majority)

- Then for the output do people want a 2 jack, L/mono & R type deal, or other outputs?

Also, What inputs would people like? I'm thinking the standard 1/4" TRS will be popular, but I'm not sure what people want.

Finally, what range of devices are people going to use with this? (should it eventually come to fruition), just for reference

Matthew Joseph Payne

I would say one stereo fx send.

ideally in my mind such a mixer would have matching XLR and TRS balanced outputs. If the form factor only allows for 1/4" outputs they should be balanced so the board can work without a DI box at all.

What about a Keyboard for Nanoloop, like the LSDJ keyboard? :3

sweden
Amity Level 2 wrote:

What about a Keyboard for Nanoloop, like the LSDJ keyboard? :3

Not possible without software support.