Whitley Bay, England

Having a kinda tie dye effect gameboy would be like, the ultimate in radness

Would this even be possible? I know dying shells has been done quite a lot, but to give a tie dye effect would be so so sweet

Not exactly tie dye, but you could try a swirl paintjob. They can look pretty cool and there's tutorials online on how to do them.

Gosford, Australia

If you've ever done tie dyeing on clothes before then you'll know that the tying part is kind of essential in getting the colours to propagate correctly.

That swirl paint job that apeshit posted looks SWEET though! Throw that down with a combination of bright pastels and you'll get the psychadelic look for sure.

Whitley Bay, England

Oh yeah, I know you can't actually tie die one! Haha

The paintjob is sick!

More than swirls though, I'm more interested in like, textured patterns? Like when you just scrunch a t-shirt up rather than twirling it around!

Probably worth noting I'm not really expecting an actual "solution" per se, more looking for discussion around the topic to see if it would ever be viable

Sydney

if u get plastic ink u can dye the plastic, but not in your regular tie dye hippy circle pattern due to u can bent the plastic shell. you could try marbling the plastic. but not sure how well different marbling inks will dry on the gameboy shell. just keep the case normal, or spray paint it hell tacky

matt's mind

you can also put paint that floats (oil-based) in water and make patterns in the paint, and dip objects into it.  the object will pick up the paint on top...

its tricky.

Godzilladelph
Apeshit wrote:

Not exactly tie dye, but you could try a swirl paintjob. They can look pretty cool and there's tutorials online on how to do them.

oh holyfuckingfuck yes

Yuma, AZ

I want this.

Louisiana

Maybe with kitsch new cases coming out there will be a one of a kind section like his buttons that are basically mixed colored plastics poured into one mold that would be cool to see. That's something you'd want to ask him about. I don't know currently what's going on with those. As for tie dyeing a case..not to sure about that. I was actually asked just a few days ago by a friend on face book if it would be possible an I told him no not it the traditional since of tie dye but a paint job could be done to do it. Using similar techniques that apeshit and kitsch have mentioned above. Both teqniques are tricky and would be hard considering the "dust catchers" on the back of a DMG. But even if you screw it up it would still probably turn out with something pretty badass.

matt's mind
Vex wrote:

kitsch ... new cases coming out ... a one of a kind section ... mixed colored plastics

yes.  if at all possible

Louisiana
kitsch wrote:
Vex wrote:

kitsch ... new cases coming out ... a one of a kind section ... mixed colored plastics

yes.  if at all possible

Well there you go, lol. The man himself has spoken.

Whitley Bay, England
kitsch wrote:
Vex wrote:

yes.  if at all possible

YES YES YES

Dude if you manage to do so, I'm first in line for one! For real

Texas
TraceKaiser wrote:
kitsch wrote:

yes.  if at all possible

YES YES YES

Dude if you manage to do so, I'm first in line for one! For real

I second this statement. *salute* BI