New York City

Yes, that's what I get.
Can we get a Windows tool please?

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 25, 2012 1:35 pm)

the heart of a mountain

Just sent Oliver mail...I can't get -SYNC to work on windows with nlmidi01.exe, it keeps saying there's no midi adaptor found and then does a runtime error. Hope It can be sorted!

New York City

sad that's unfortunate. I hope we get a fixed tool ASAP

the heart of a mountain

Unfortunate indeed, espescially as I bought 3! I hope for a fixed tool or if not that oliver will take em back and change them to -SYNC for me, as for me thats all I want. The dongles are getting recognised and are in MGB mode so they work....just the exe/command line thing ain't finding them/ working.

reject of nintendoage

hey dog!

don't have the midi usb dongle, but the regular updater thingy and i'm running into similar problems: It doesn't work on my PC because i guess the dongle is somewhat not talking to the pc sad.
I'm running win7 x64. On my roommates PC (same OS) it works, as well on my GFs PC (some OEM vista).
maybe you can try it on a different machine just for troubleshooting?

Unsubscribe

Send an email to oliver, he will give you some stuff to test it with. I needed to get a replacement cart.

New York City

Yeah I will email because it seems Oliver is not reading this thread anymore.

I am reading this thread but I am on holiday till thursday.

New York City

Well, I hope you had a good one and returned fresh to release those binaries big_smile

Further testing deemed that if I use both pulse channels at the same time, there's VERY SERIOUS lagging in the MIDI signal. Any pulse with wav sounds OK,  any pulse with noise sounds OK, any pulse with wav AND noise sounds OK, but whenever both pulse channels are on, mGB goes down to the toilet.

I recorded a sound example for you.
In it, you hear one pulse channel, then the other, then the wave and then the noise.
Then I play a pulse, add the wave then add the noise. Remove one pulse, then add the other...

And for the end, I add both pulses to the combo.... and hear what happens. The very last part is just the two pulse channels playing together, nothing else:

The only "effect" this has on is pitch bending. This is not a PC, soundcard or PC software failure.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 24, 2017 8:31 pm)

the heart of a mountain
shizcake wrote:

hey dog!

Hey dude what you doing here....get back to TSOL!

shizcake wrote:

don't have the midi usb dongle, but the regular updater thingy and i'm running into similar problems: It doesn't work on my PC because i guess the dongle is somewhat not talking to the pc sad.
I'm running win7 x64. On my roommates PC (same OS) it works, as well on my GFs PC (some OEM vista).
maybe you can try it on a different machine just for troubleshooting?

Yeah I've tried them on 3 different XP machines, and a winblows 7...I've run out of machines to try with no joy on any. I'm hoping I can send them back and maybe olivier can set them to -SYNC if there's no other fix available.

New York City

If you just need it to sync with LSDJ, it will work even if it is in mGB mode. Just try it, just make sure you sen ONLY MIDI SYNC to the device. Dunno about nanoloop, I suppose it would work too!

I think SYNC mode ia necessary if you happen to send something other than sync tothe GB, but why would you do that if you just have LSDJ or Nanoloop? In a MIDI chain I would understand this, but this device plugs to a USB port in a computer, and you can just talk directly to it and send to it what it needs. There are no other devices in that chain that might need other MIDI commands.

the heart of a mountain

Alas..mGB mode isn't working for me..properly...I'm sending MTC from reaper with nothing else (just playing the reaper metronome for time) to either nanoloop 1.3, or 2.2 or to LSDJ (I forget which version..not really an LSDJ'er but got 3.8 or something on an old EMS cart) anyway it is completely out of sync...it responds to start stop commands but the nanoloop or lsdj moves jerkily out of tempo with extrememly fast bits and then big pauses...like the problems you mention Akira.

This happens whichever gameboy device I use, pocket, DMG, color, or GBA or GBA SP.

I was wanting to try SYNC as thats what it says in the instructions/details on the site as the option to use for synching nanoloop....anyway and either way...things aren't a working. I tweeted oliver this morning again...will patiently await smile

New York City

I send MIDI clock type: song.
maybe you are sending pattern?
Or the thing is just bugged, very possible.

Have you tried another DAW instead of  Reaper? I am using Ableton Live.
My delays shouldn't happen for you on sync mode.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 3, 2012 2:49 pm)

the heart of a mountain

Alas the only DAW I have is Reaper.....In Reaper you set up a timecode generator on a track and you can set some different options for the MTC such as where it takes the timebase from (beats, time, etc) and also you can choose between 5 different framerates between 24 and 30...tried every option and nothing helps..I know I'm doing the reaper end right as I MTC other external kit with it..I don't have or want to install another DAW particularly...I guess I'll try it on a friends abletron setup at some point.

IL, US

think ill be testing mine this weekend with the kenton midi usb host, have piggy send the clock

New York City
concretedog wrote:

In Reaper you set up a timecode generator on a track and you can set some different options for the MTC such as where it takes the timebase from

Hmm... I know there are different methods of sending sync, and perhaps this interface is not liking the one Reaper uses. It's just a guess.
Do you have any other gear that could generate MIDI clock?
Although I tend to think your adapter might be faulty (as I said, should send sync to LSDJ even if in mGB mode), it's best to check every possibility.