New York City

Thank you for all this testing, Oliver.
At least now I am pretty sure my issue is NOT normal and there's a problem here somewhere, probably in the software I am using. I will test more myself.

concretedog wrote:

So Oliver...if my nanoloop is running slower than the MTC...do I need to do something regarding throttling??...To reiterate..it ain't useable as it is!

Are you using any type of plugin to process the audio? I ran into plugin delay compensation-created issues while testing mGB, perhaps this is something you should check. Specially see if you have any mastering plugins active...

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 6, 2012 9:18 pm)

Hi some quick questions,

would this usb unit able say work with arduino boy, or lsdj?

would this usb unit work as a midi device to play nano loop as a synth, for example to play the sound engine without the sequencer, i have a old dmg that i wish to operate via midi with the usb device is it ocmpatible?

thanks

-no
-only sync
-no
-no

thanks oliver any planned midi input support?

i understand the device is only to sync the gameboy to say a sequncer from the computer so it plays intime with daw, but a midi input usb device or a buyable non diy midi in device for the gameboy is what im really looking for,

also regarding nanoloop is there any function to disable the sequncer and use as a synth? for example say i finally find somesort of device that can send midi into gameboy, would i be able to play it with a midikeyboard, i really just want access to oscilator section and tweak and programme my own say leads etc.....

best of luck with the sync usb device.

New York City
mariomustache wrote:

i understand the device is only to sync the gameboy to say a sequncer from the computer so it plays intime with daw, but a midi input usb device or a buyable non diy midi in device for the gameboy is what im really looking for,

Why not make an Arduinoboy then?

not to deraail the thread but

hi akira im afriad i do not understand electronics nor do i own the equipment needed to make such a device, im located in london and trying to find a device i can purchase that will enable midi in, be it via usb or with a conventional midi cable.

mariomustache wrote:

thanks oliver any planned midi input support?

No. The nanoloop USB-MIDI adaptor does basically the same as Arduionoboy: Receive MIDI data and send them byte-wise to the link port. However, neither nanoloop nor LSDj support full control as a synth via MIDI. That's what mGB is for. mGB does exactly that and nothing else. As you can see in the test videos, both devices can be used to play the Game Boy as a MIDI synth with mGB.

Both devices have additional SYNC modes in which they filter the MIDI stream for clock signals and generate the appropriate clock pulses for nanoloop's and LSDj's native sync modes. Arduinoboy has additional modes for triggering LSDj with special MIDI events.

Otherwise, the only difference is that Arduinoboy is for a conventional MIDI cable while the adaptor is for MIDI over USB.

The adaptor is what you're looking for. Unfortunately, it's sold out.

Los Angeles

Oliver, while the midi usb plugs are out of stock, i can still send back my original nl usb plug for a free firmware (midi) upgrade correct?  ... also, are those current nl2.5 orders going to be shipped soon or is there still a tech problem with them?

Yes you can return the adaptor for an update.
Pending 2.5 orders will be shipped today.

Los Angeles

big_smile thanks!

hi oliver,

thanks for the clear explanation, i guess i have to wait until you have some new ones  in stock,

have you considered a nano loop synth only engine stripping it of its sequencer to make a advance synth engine for live play?

No, there are no plans for a MIDI-nanoloop. You can load mGB on the nanoloop cart as extra ROM for MIDI stuff.

New York City
mariomustache wrote:

have you considered a nano loop synth only engine stripping it of its sequencer to make a advance synth engine for live play?

Why do you even need this? Just use mGB!

becuase from what i gather, mgb does not have more sound creation tools, like custom drawable waveforms etc.........

oliver any eta on the next batch?

regarding non midi nanoloop is a shame really,

Last edited by mariomustache (Mar 8, 2012 12:29 pm)

New York City
mariomustache wrote:

becuase from what i gather, mgb does not have more sound creation tools, like custom drawable waveforms etc.........

I understand. Drawing your own waveforms would be nice, but I'd like LSDJ-style tables even more.

the heart of a mountain

Ok, I've had a bit of time yesterday and today to do more playing with these. So...the verdict....

I can change the modes of my usb dongles using the updated version of the windows exe..however I do have to do it in a certain way as I outlined above,,,,it doesn't like combined commands but if I do it separately then it works so "nlmidi03 -SYNC" then enter causes a loop n crash but "nlmidi03" enter then choose which device with a number (0 or 1 in my case may be different for you) enter, then -SYNC (or whatever mode yourre trying) then enter get me the right result.

Ok in reaper if the USB audio device (what its calling the dongle on my machines) is enabled for output and clock then nanoloop runs (see below though) without any midi item (either a midi item or midi timecode generator) being placed on the timeline....cool so far except that I have never used clock in this way before as it means that as soon as a project is playing it trys to sync nanoloop...I have always used MTC generator items on the timeline so you can bring in sound modules for there sections and stuff doesn't run all the time...I could work round that though by having empty patterns playing when not needed so thats not a biggy for me.

But what is a biggy for me is that it drifts out of time....I have tested with nanoloop 1.3 in a DMG, color, and a gba sp...it will stay in time for around 8-10 bars but will then be noticeably out you can sometimes hear it drag a bar. It is even worse when I tested my nl2.2 cart in the SP....I've tried all three usb dongles and also different link cables from my collection.

I am sure that this isn't my DAW setup drifting or any wierd threads taking priority on my laptop...I can clock my 505/qy10/korg er1/modular stuff with clock all day long (literally) and not lose sync.

I'm also concerned that when you turn off the gameboy (irregardless of which model) there seems to be some voltage being sent to the gameboys resulting in (on the gba and colour) the screen taking a long time to clear on turnoff and a bit of screen flickering..but on the GBA sp it causes the red light to come on and an earthy hum back through my mixer...(guess I'll be unplugging the USB before the gb's are turned off!)

Hope we can get further revisions as they do work...but for me I wanted to use them as part of a live project and I don't think it's going to work out.

EDIT should have said this is all running reaper with nothing in the project with the metronome enabled and no effect as akira8gb had suggested I check.

Last edited by concretedog (Mar 8, 2012 6:26 pm)