Unsubscribe

are you sending it anything other than midi clicks? I think even start and stop messages are being recognized as ticks, which might explain your drift if you are not filtering out everything else.

New York City

It's weird because I ran sync without problems. Couldn't you try to download a trial of Ableton Live 8?

The adaptor firmware is programmed as follows:

- wait for START
- send 0xff and 0x00 alternating on each CLOCK
- wait for STOP

Nanoloop does not support song position pointers or MTC cueing, just the plain analog-like clock scheme.

To me this still sounds like the device isn't in SYNC mode. What happens when you send additional MIDI data?

Unsubscribe

Does it ignore everything that isnt clock?

In sync mode, yes. It also should ignore clock until a start message was received.

the heart of a mountain

I'll do some more attempts tommorrow..but fwiw...I think it is in SYNC mode for a couple of reasons...firstly it said so in the command prompt and also it's changed it's behaviour as when it was in mGB mode it was way more jumpy timewise. I'm not running anything in reaper other than 1 track with nothing on it with the midi output pointed to the usb adapter.

I guess I could try the ableton demo...but I'd need talking through it as I've avoided it over the years!

New York City
concretedog wrote:

I guess I could try the ableton demo...but I'd need talking through it as I've avoided it over the years!

YOu just need to set SYNC on the USB MIDI adapter output, and hit play. It's ridiculously easy.

the heart of a mountain

Ok so I awoke this morning thinking...it must be reaper...and I've had some success. I was running vers 4.12 of reaper but have installed the latest version 4.151 (they release an update more often than I have a hot dinner so it's easy to be behind) and using nanoloop 1.3 in a GBA sp works...PERFECTLY...I left it running aginst the metronome for an hour this morning with something on each channel and occssionally swapping patterns and stuff and it all works lovely. Slightly wierd for reaper as in the changelogs I can't see anything that should impact on clock stuff anyway..
My 2.2 cart however is still suffering, it still drifts out of sync within 10-15bars and any editing of nanoloop patterns/switching patterns causes it to drag and stutter. I love my 2.2..but wonder if I should reflash to 2.5 although I discussed with Oliver that that's a one way ticket..you can't reflash to 2.2.

But, anyway, I'm happy...I have 2 1.3 carts for fun and frolics with my setup.

Anyway thanks for everyones help in this thread. Without being fed suggestions and ideas I'd have tried to send them back weeks ago.

I'm really glad to hear that.

Interim summary of this thead after 11 pages:

The adaptor works. There were/are issues, but they all turned out to be PC software glitches, including the nlmidi tool.

the heart of a mountain

Yep a fair summation. Does anyone with a usb adaptor have a 2.2 cart (I'm guessing Oliver must have one lying around somewhere!) that they can test and see whats happening for them.

New York City

I think I said it too: Ableton Live 6 gives more problems than 8. I also don't understand why. They probably changed things but told no one about it.

My problem is, 6 is the one I bought. I onli have Lite 8 and it's useless for me.

Other weird thing is, Live 6 on XP on my lower spec machine seemed to run better. Mayne there is something about USB porys in Windows 7 that I need to figure ouy. Could it be a power issue?

the heart of a mountain

Right....I've got 2.2 working perfectly now as well!!!!! YAY these things are ace! It seems to not work with 2.2 properly only on one song bank on my cart...sadly the one thats first on the cart so the one that I've been testing with. When I write new patterns, or load another bank or save another new pattern into that bank it works...just a glitch with my cart I guess.

I am made up smile

the heart of a mountain
akira^8GB wrote:

I think I said it too: Ableton Live 6 gives more problems than 8. I also don't understand why. They probably changed things but told no one about it.

My problem is, 6 is the one I bought. I onli have Lite 8 and it's useless for me.

Other weird thing is, Live 6 on XP on my lower spec machine seemed to run better. Mayne there is something about USB porys in Windows 7 that I need to figure ouy. Could it be a power issue?

Scuse the double post was excited in that last one!

Don't know about windows 7, but I find the main things that effect midi performance normally on my machines is usb priorities and disk management stuff..power should just be power..either working or not.

And yeah companies making changes not in the changelog is annoying.

Ive got my usb adapter but the nlmidi software doesn't want to open, it quickly flashes up and then closes. i tried the nlusb program too and that one doesn't recognise the adapter. Any tips on what i could do to make it work?

New York City

Did you download the latest version? (NLMIDI03)

Nlmidi is a command line tool, it doesn't work by just clicking it.

Open a console window, change to the directory where the nlmidi program is located and then type nlmidi03 -parameter. Available parameters are:

-midi
-sync
-send <filename>
-receive <filename>

To switch to midi or sync mode, you can use a batch file: Create a text file with content

nlmidi03 -MIDI
pause

and save it as midi.bat or sync.bat.