Tokyo, Japan

Yet more fuel for the "why major record companies don't deserve customers" fire.

ad-hell-aide

Yeah, this whole thing is bullshit.

The original tune is a Welsh folk song. The original copyright was for the lyrics and not the music AFAIK.

NSW, Australia
e.s.c. wrote:

...like i hate the song

THEMS FIGHTING WORDS, BOY.

Wheeling, WV

Let this be a lesson for all of you. Never EVER have a flautist in your band. You WILL eventually be sued.

York, Yorkshire
calmdownkidder wrote:
BitPop wrote:

It amazes me that the Lost Prophets haven't been sued yet. Maybe it will be one class action which will bankrupt them back into the stone age?  Here's hoping! big_smile

What did they allegedly steal?

Pretty much every one of their chart songs has elements ripped from other songs.  It pisses me off every time they play a new one on the radio I can hear stuff from other songs.  At first I thought it was a fluke, but as it's happened so many times, they are clearly just ripping little bits from other songs and hoping nobody notices (which so far no one has).

Competition : Have a listen and see how many you can hear big_smile

Last edited by BitPop (Feb 8, 2010 12:04 pm)

London, UK
BitPop wrote:
calmdownkidder wrote:

What did they allegedly steal?

Pretty much every one of their chart songs has elements ripped from other songs.  It pisses me off every time they play a new one on the radio I can hear stuff from other songs.  At first I thought it was a fluke, but as it's happened so many times, they are clearly just ripping little bits from other songs and hoping nobody notices (which so far no one has).

Competition : Have a listen and see how many you can hear big_smile

is that really plagiarism (the whole use or close imitation)?

A personal example, I recently wrote a track called 'OutBrk' which used a couple of leads based on radix's 'imaginary friend', if I had literally copied every single bassline, chord, lead and drum pattern from that track in a section, that would be plagiarism. As it was the track is at a different bpm, groove, and the lead is surrounded by completely different notes. Someone could say 'hey that sounds kinda like...' but not 'whoa that's totally ripping off xxxx'.

I know of many songs that have 'little bits' taken (read: inspired) by other songs, and there's only so many scales you can use in pop music, eventually it's all going to get rehashed.

Last edited by Sabrepulse (Feb 8, 2010 12:52 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa
Sabrepulse wrote:

A personal example, I recently wrote a track called 'OutBrk' which used a couple of leads based on radix's 'imaginary friend', if I had literally copied every single bassline, chord, lead and drum pattern from that track in a section, that would be plagiarism. As it was the track is at a different bpm, groove, and the lead is surrounded by completely different notes. Someone could say 'hey that sounds kinda like...' but not 'whoa that's totally ripping off xxxx'.

If you had taken the whole melody, or even just several phrases from the melody, then no matter what the bpm, 'groove', or whatever else was, I'd think "whoa, that's totally ripping off Radix".

Imaginary Friend isn't a very well-known folk song though, and Radix is still alive, so it's pretty different.

London, UK
ant1 wrote:

Imaginary Friend isn't a very well-known folk song though, and Radix is still alive, so it's pretty different.

It wasn't the best example, but you get the idea.

Sweden
Lazerbeat wrote:

Yet more fuel for the "why major record companies don't deserve customers" fire.

I don't think Larrikin Music is a major record company, though.

England

i quite often just find myself using someone elses bassline, but basslines dont matter do they?

edit: grammah myself

Last edited by Jellica (Feb 8, 2010 7:19 pm)

Los Angeles
Jellica wrote:

i quite often just find using someone elses bassline, but basslines dont matter do they?

That should depend on how original the bass line is right?

Also this case if it is a case, will lose.

England

theres a lot of songs out there with the same bassline.

i am just facinated by bass though.

my songs have no melody. agg.

Camden, London

i did a song called 'sorethumbthrob' about 2 years ago as monkeydisco, totally ripped off silverstein's guitar lead and got away with it...

haha