GNV / FL / USA

Give it up for the master: http://retrogameaudio.tumblr.com/

Brazil

Whoa, subscribed! Awesome!

Tokyo, Japan

Didnt bucky also have a tumber called exploder?

GNV / FL / USA
Lazerbeat wrote:

Didnt bucky also have a tumber called exploder?

Yep, http://explod.tumblr.com And you can check his awesome YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/explod2A03

Tokyo, Japan

That is it! There are soooo many hidden jems of awesomeness on there,

Venezuela

true story!....

rochester, ny

instant follow

BK

with every post i love this more and more.

philly

Thanks guys! smile

Explod died, after some FTP hosts vanished and I decided to just upload soundtracks straight to youtube. I should make a post closing it and linking to the new one...

Most of what I post on retrogameaudio will probably be familiar to chip musicians, but I'll try to keep it interesting. A lot of talking about instruments used in soundtracks, why things sound the way they do, etc. There'll be some stuff about game soundtracks too, but it's more about the sound design.

Chicago IL

request: teach me to go back in time and write the silver surfer soundtrack

killadelphia

brilliant!

Tokyo, Japan

@bucky I tried to post a message on tumbler but wasn't able to for some reason.

Im super interested in Megadrive / Genesis sound. The YM2612 has an internal DAC which I think is a bit unique? My feeling is the sound is a bit more crunchy than other similar 4op sin only chips, is this correct? Im also curious about the Megadrive PSG. The PSG seems to interfere with the YM2612 a bit, almost as if the PSG is way louder, especially when using all 3 tonal channels. Do you know any good things to bear in mind to keep both chips working nicely together? Are there any MD soundtracks which use the psg in interesting ways? Sorry if this is a bit of a nerdy question....

Blog RULES!

Still so fucking hyped for this, I don't think I've ever been this excited to follow something before

Hudson, MA

I now have a reason to check out someone on tumblr.  Time to get the old account back up...

Fargo

I'm glad I checked this out, because now I've heard Cheap Dinosaurs for the first time.

philly
Lazerbeat wrote:

@bucky I tried to post a message on tumbler but wasn't able to for some reason.

Im super interested in Megadrive / Genesis sound. The YM2612 has an internal DAC which I think is a bit unique? My feeling is the sound is a bit more crunchy than other similar 4op sin only chips, is this correct? Im also curious about the Megadrive PSG. The PSG seems to interfere with the YM2612 a bit, almost as if the PSG is way louder, especially when using all 3 tonal channels. Do you know any good things to bear in mind to keep both chips working nicely together? Are there any MD soundtracks which use the psg in interesting ways? Sorry if this is a bit of a nerdy question....

Blog RULES!

Hey thanks! Don't mind the super-nerdy questions at all, but this does go beyond my current knowledge.

I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with MD/ Genesis audio. A lot of what I know is stuff I've read, and I haven't read anything on the DAC nor the levels/ interaction between the 2612 and PSG. If I had an everdrive cart I'd love to test the 2612 vs. PSG levels. Does anyone know more about this?

As for use of PSG in MD soundtracks, I'm currently looking for more examples, because that's certainly a topic for a future post. A while back animalstyle showed me the pulse wave melodies in Streets of Rage. I'll definitely be using some stuff from that as an example:

I have no idea if there are any MD soundtracks that use more advanced PSG tricks though. I'm not expecting to find noise bass or additive synthesis, that would be a pleasant surprise. I'll start a thread in the sega forum for this though... smile