Florida

While pixelling I like listening to slow ambient stuff. Right now I'm on a strict 4-5 hour-per-day MS Paint regimen, and my Brian Eno, Vangelis, and Tim Hecker playlist is wearing thin. So, I'm on the prowl for new stuff. I prefer pretty with a hint of weird or chaotic, and I loooove Moog and Mellotron. Any suggestions?

How about some Biosphere? He did some great stuff with Substrata and Dropsonde, to start with.

Also try Alva Noto, especially his Xerox albums

Or, for a bit more of a synth approach, Try the album "Blue Shift Emissions" By Christ.

California

Tangerine Dream? I believe their earlier albums are ambient.

uhajdafdfdfa

i liked stars of the lid but maybe they aren't ambient (i think they are!)
and biosphere yes

matt's mind

zoviet france (and side projects)
coil
deaf center
goldmund
dj spooky
jean michel jarre
steve roach
robert rich
bill laswell
klaus schulze
jah wobble (some)
nurse with wound (and side projects)

try zoviet:france's "what is not true" album.  its amazing.
and if 'music for airports' isn't part of the eno stuff that you're growing tired of, add it to the list too wink

abreojos.net is good as well, visual too (with synths)

edit: and, most all of the roster on staalplaat and beta-lactum ring record labels.  staalplaat used to do a weekly music download email that was really great, i bet its been moved over to a podcast or something easier...

Gosford, Australia

If you don't mind stuff with rhythmic elements, Astropilot is fun. Some of Shpongle's softer stuff will probably fit in, too. If you haven't already, grab Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works vol. 2, it's kinda essential listening imo. Going with a very broad definition on "ambient" here, though! :V

Also: here's a (SHAMELESS PLUG FOR A) thing I did a while back. It goes through a few dynamic phases and touches upon the chaotic aspect later on. You might like it?

nashville,tn

oooh man, this is my jam: i'd start with cluster plus the side projects of its members (dieter mobeius, conny plank and hans-jochim roedelius. also popul vuh. i'll get some more together for ya

Melbourne, AU

That new Oneohtrix Point Never album was pretty great.

Sydney, NSW

Holy Konni - Let Me Kill!

Philly, PA, USA

not sure if this is exactly the style you're looking for, but it's two hours of ambient/noise essentially
http://chromacle.bandcamp.com/album/silence

A gray world of dread

kitsch has the list. And another +1 for Aphex Twin's SAW2.

For real droney stuff, I can recommend Lustmord (especially the collab with the aforementioned Robert Rich on Stalker) and Stars of the Lid (really relaxing, Tired Sounds of.. and ..And Their Refinement of the Decline are awesome).

For a little more guitar, Grouper.

For a little more chip, Ilkae wink

Edit: Oh yeah, the OSTs of the Homeworld games. Not kidding!

Last edited by µB (Mar 20, 2012 1:21 am)

Vienna

you will love this album: Jürgen Müller- "science of the sea"

Florida

Thanks guys, productivity here we come!

Victory Road wrote:

If you don't mind stuff with rhythmic elements, Astropilot is fun. Some of Shpongle's softer stuff will probably fit in, too. If you haven't already, grab Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works vol. 2, it's kinda essential listening imo. Going with a very broad definition on "ambient" here, though! :V

Also: here's a (SHAMELESS PLUG FOR A) thing I did a while back. It goes through a few dynamic phases and touches upon the chaotic aspect later on. You might like it?

Rad song title because I am a crazy bible person. Enjoying the sounds too.

Gosford, Australia
Jay Tholen wrote:

Thanks guys, productivity here we come!

Victory Road wrote:

Rad song title because I am a crazy bible person. Enjoying the sounds too.

Haha, I was actually studying the book of Ecclesiastes at the time; good inspiration! tongue

shanghai

Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works vol. 2

Oneohtrix Point Never

Torus - Torus e.p     http://sonicrouter.bandcamp.com/album/torus-ep   this is amazing

Helios - Eingya

Seriously though go to 'Inpuj.net', get yourself some Proswell / ilkae / Kaneel - That shit is the best !

Joliette, QC, Canada

Boards of Canada ?!