Geneva, NY
Screamforme99 wrote:

Many of the concepts of 8bc are here, and they are good concepts but thankfully all of the bad concepts are gone as well.
I hope chipmusic can take the kind of shit 8bc took and not end up like it.

No problem.

Psydney, Australia

For some reason I was super surprised to discover that 8bc exists. I had no idea chipmusic was a popular thing after all these years.
I was so happy I offered to draw avatars for everyone. Made quite a few actually.

The good thing is that Celsius contacted me after this and the rest is history... big_smile

Also that one tiem wen I postad LSDJ reskin mock nd ppl thouhgt it was teh realz lolololol!

San Francisco, CA

Guys, say what you will about the community surrounding 8bc or certain individuals there, but make no mistake, the disappearance of the site - if it's really permanent - is an utter loss, a massive blow.

I'm shocked at how ambivalent you dudes are about the site going down. The music is a heart-stopping loss; for me personally, it's the massive list of favorites that I accrued over the years that had the real value. Down with the ship. Cool songs that I never bothered to download, now lost to the vapors of time.  This "Jose" character is starting to take on the air of a cocaine drug lord who fled to Mexico, never to be seen or heard from again.  Is he in trouble with the law? Seriously.  Incarceration is the only reasonable explanation.

I want to know the back story.  This kind of thing is not supposed to happen. It was a thriving community. They had a good thing going. The way the site worked was a pretty good formula.  There was an incentive to post new stuff.  So if I go back to archive.org, will I be able to find my favorites list, against all odds, and reconstruct all the cool music I found there from piece-meal downloads, trekking to outer reaches of the internet, finally, hopelessly, never completing the list?  A saga of pathetic management, a lesson of what can happen to websites run by teenagers.

Damn shame.

BOSTON

don't randomly bag on Jose. dude poured time money and soul into that place for a looooong time so kids from all over the world could post songs about ducks and argue which form of basic synthesized music was more "real". you would be lucky to accomplish 1/100th as much

San Francisco, CA

Ah, sorry about that. I really don't know who Jose is - I just see some politically charged comments about him here and there, so that just makes me wonder what was going on. I actually assumed he hadn't been running the site for a while.

Tokyo, Japan

http://micromusic.net/ is still there. Huge amounts of awesome stuff to be found.,

Melbourne, Australia

Mate, the reason you might be met with some ambivalence here is a long story but the tldr; is basically that the site was run poorly and there was some beef over the way the mods were altering content, banning users and deleting opposing opinions. Thus this site was created as a reaction. If you don't see a lot of tears, don't be surprised but also maybe think twice before posting about something that has a lengthy backstory that you do not fully understand.

I think the popular consensus around here is that 8bc was a net good and thus this thread serves to commemorate that virtue.

Gosford, Australia

yeah 8bc was a'ight
the amount of commenting on music was nice even if it was just a popularity contest
ctrix said nice things about a song i made one time and it felt boss
that's my story

8bc actually got me laid

Melbourne, Australia

8bc killed my parents.

Tokyo, Japan
PlainFlavored wrote:

8bc actually got me laid

You know getting sack tapped doesn't count get getting laid right?

New York City
Lazerbeat wrote:
PlainFlavored wrote:

8bc actually got me laid

You know getting sack tapped doesn't count get getting laid right?

Laughing my ass off right here xD

UK

All them witty and enlightening posts i made, gone. Will the world recover? No.

Shame that such a huge data base of music had to go though. The good thing about 8bc in its prime was that it blurred out from just an online community and became something more real to many of the users. Met some cool people from 8bc. Cool people indeed.

also where are all the bitches at?

IL, US
bigchip wrote:

Shame that such a huge data base of music had to go though. The good thing about 8bc in its prime was that it blurred out from just an online community and became something more real to many of the users. Met some cool people from 8bc. Cool people indeed.

Post your old avatar and they will come...

Abandoned on Fire

BitchChip, we needs more of it.

UK
e.s.c. wrote:
bigchip wrote:

Post your old avatar and they will come...

Oh man thats probably the saddest thing. OMG lesbian love WTF cat died with 8bc. *dons black armband*