USA

So my band of 2 people did a show a while ago with LSDJ as the backbone. Its just 1 DMG, a guitar and a little percussion set.

Here is a bad recording of the show at a tiny bar:

http://soundcloud.com/nickgunzburg/chri … rds9-21-11

It was our first show with the LSDJ setup, and our vocals are shitty, but of course we blame the sound guy tongue Other than then those rough parts, i think it works pretty well. Our style is sort of folkish punkish, and we composed the songs around songs we had already written.

Has anyone had any experiences preforming live with LSDJ and a band? If so, lets share some advice, eh?

Nottingham, UK

I played in a short lived novelty covers band which involved guitar and gameboy, "Two Guys One Gameboy", classy.
LSDJ really has to dictate the pace, everyone needs to be keeping track of what its doing or else you start to fall apart. In my new more elaborate band thing, this is pretty much the crux of everything, keep pace or fall apart tongue

This can be easier said than done if your monitoring stuation isn't that great.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Mar 21, 2012 12:47 pm)

shanghai

no one does it like J arthur ! i found it pretty good music wise, i just didnt really care for the vocals if im honest.

shanghai

noisewaves are also fucking good

Edinburgh

We used LSDJ as our drum/noise core in Beats of Rage, with guitar, Cynthcart & vocals on top. Our system: keep Game Boy really high in the mix, out front & in monitors, and try to keep up.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Tons of people do this.

I do it in two different acts - The Glowing Stars and Matthew Joseph Payne. We use in-ear monitors in the former. I usually play banjo and bass or baritone guitar in the latter, solo, but sometimes add string players and other auxiliary people.

Also: Awkward Terrible, Crashfaster, D&D Sluggers, Cheap Dinosaurs, Revengineers...

But more to the point, your stuff sounds pretty cool! Keep it up, and keep working on the interlocking of sequenced and live parts. Personally, anyway, I think that's where the most interest comes in.

New York, NY

I've been rehearsing with LSDJ, a casiotone 101, and vocals for an upcoming show in April. Just concerned about their being a little monitor mix myself, but totally keep it up!!!

brooklyn!

what works for me:
-monitors louder than you think they should be, earplugs in always. in-ears are also prime, but if you can't invest in them right now, this works.
-know what you're following in the track (do you pay attention to the leads? the drums? the bass?) then bring that out in the mix, whether with eq or programming
-STRONG RHYTHMIC PROGRAMMING. don't expect to be able to keep up with a track if it's too nebulous. this doesn't mean it has to be super mechanical all over the place, but this also goes back to the last point: whatever you follow, make sure that is nice and clear. everything else can be a little more loose if you can hear specifically what you're playing to.
-timing is job number 1 when you're performing, live instruments out of sync with electronics are invariably bad (at least they are when you are trying to be in sync). tuning is probably job number 2.
-and then just practice the fuck and have such a good time!!!

Matthew Joseph Payne

Luke's been doing this longer than I have, but everything he says is what I've found to be true also.

I did the "ridiculously loud monitors + earplugs" thing for a long time. In-ears have been great because they afford me consistency. The investment comes in at <$200 - basically a $120 pair of sony in-ear isolating earplug headphones, plus a headphone amp, some cables. I mean, $200 is a lot of money for some people, but if the whole band can pitch in to just get a set for the drummer, your whole world will improve.

nashville,tn

i did this with a vocalist and a drummer a few times, it was total improv...which helps..doesn't hurt if you're drummer or
(insert various players) is one of the sickest mofo's around: http://hobbledeions.blogspot.com/ ....and has experience with playing to set tempo's... otherwise the key is to practice doing just that-playing with the tracks ad nauseam till its second nature and adding little hints for yourself in the music to mark the one's (or two's for that sensuous  backbeat)  (*-*)

hardcore, Australia

My solution to doing this is to just play fast and loud enough that no one cares if you are in tune or on time.

Sydney, NSW
godinpants wrote:

My solution to doing this is to just play fast and loud enough that no one cares if you are in tune or on time.

aussie logic!

USA

Great advice here! My band-mate and I have been building a lot on the whole gameboy + band construct recently. It really gives you a lot to work with, without a massive setup or unstable hardware. 2 people + gameboy really gives you all the sound you need to fill a venue. I definitely agree that the rhythm on the LSDJ track should be forceful and distinct as to keep everyone aware of the timing.

Golab is a local band that I love, they use LSDJ very effectively in their live shows: http://golabgo.com

Downstate wrote:

no one does it like J arthur ! i found it pretty good music wise, i just didnt really care for the vocals if im honest.

Thanks! That day was a terrible day for vocals everywhere.

Boston, MA

i always sing in front of the PA to keep my vocals in sync (monitors or not). feedback is my friend.

orange county, CA
Downstate wrote:

no one does it like J arthur !.

I agree with this 110%
smile

Los Angeles, The Kingdrom

My band uses an FM Transmitter (the kind you'd use in your car to listen to your ipod over your car speakers) and portable radios as in-ear monitors. It's a little ghetto but works for us ;-)